WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default For me its simple...

There will always be diversity of opinions when different topics are discussed and this thread is no exception... Sharing one's accomplishments and experiences can be inspiring and also provide the basis for growth..... I will never be doing the things that Dave Horton does as it is not my desire.... Simply put breaking some record is not my motivation for getting out there. I do however find inspiration from someone that age who is able to go out there and chase his dreams and it gives me hope that I still many good years to do the same.....
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Quote Originally Posted by Bumshandler View Post
    Well, TW, we're waiting! You didn't answer the question posed by LW.
    What exactly is the question? Why am I always on here talking about my little camping trips"? Is this a question? Isn't this a website on trails and backpacking?? Whether they're for 5 months or 14 days or a weekend, don't we all talk about our little camping trips?

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    To me, there is nothing interesting about following someone's hike when they are doing the typical. But when someone challenges themselves, and pushes limits, I tend to get interested. I am not alone in that regard.

Lets try and keep this thread positive and on topic. If someone wants to open a new thread about stunt hikes, or whatever, go right ahead. Just please don't do it in the Other Trails forum.
    Who wants to open a new thread on stunt hikes? Maybe this thread should be taken out of the Colorado Trail and put in a special category called "Sport Hiking." Beyond this, the topic is about speed hiking the Colorado Trail, and posts can show both sides of the endeavor, the positives of doing it and the positives of why it may be a stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Who wants to open a new thread on stunt hikes? Maybe this thread should be taken out of the Colorado Trail and put in a special category called "Sport Hiking." Beyond this, the topic is about speed hiking the Colorado Trail, and posts can show both sides of the endeavor, the positives of doing it and the positives of why it may be a stunt.

I think that's an outstanding idea. Several weeks ago I thought about asking Attrol to open a new forum section on trail running and trail races, but I didn't do it because it seems that WB already has a ton of sections. Runnersworld.com has also recently openned a section devoted to just that. But I like your idea because it would give a place for those of us who really enjoy ultramarathons, trail running, etc. a central place to post threads on the topic. However, it does seem that there are quite a few in WB who really enjoy that and races such as the Badwater Ultra, the Leadville, etc., so I'll put together a request and send it to Attrol for his consideration as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I think that's an outstanding idea. Several weeks ago I thought about asking Attrol to open a new forum section on trail running and trail races, but I didn't do it because it seems that WB already has a ton of sections. Runnersworld.com has also recently openned a section devoted to just that. But I like your idea because it would give a place for those of us who really enjoy ultramarathons, trail running, etc. a central place to post threads on the topic. However, it does seem that there are quite a few in WB who really enjoy that and races such as the Badwater Ultra, the Leadville, etc., so I'll put together a request and send it to Attrol for his consideration as soon as I can.
    Ah, a reasoned response.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    ...I just wish he could do his record attempts a little bit later in the hiking season out West...
    Because the weather would be cooler? Interesting suggestion.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Because the weather would be cooler? Interesting suggestion.
    less snow.....

Images

Oh. Yeah, that would be helpful.

Do you know how/why he chose the dates he did?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Oh. Yeah, that would be helpful.

Do you know how/why he chose the dates he did?
    his job at the university, crew availability, and family commitments maybe? don't know for sure

Images

good luck!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by droptopbenz View Post
    good luck!!!!!!
    for what?.....

Images

I think its incredible that a man that age can run on trails like that for so many miles each day. Not something that I have a desire to do but I enjoy reading about it on WB.

and....geez....let TW have his opinion...its not like he mention politics or religion (banned subject matter on WB)

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    his job at the university, crew availability, and family commitments maybe? don't know for sure
    If I was to guess I believe it was his job at the university...
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Maybe this thread should be taken out of the Colorado Trail and put in a special category called "Sport Hiking."
    Excellent idea! Feel free to start a thread about it. No need to start a new category.

It is veering away from the Colorado Trail and getting into a different topic that could be interesting is a bit beyond the Colorado Trail.

Thanks!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

What exactly is the question? Why am I always on here talking about my little camping trips"? Is this a question? Isn't this a website on trails and backpacking?? Whether they're for 5 months or 14 days or a weekend, don't we all talk about our little camping trips?

What makes his attempt any more a "stunt" than saying "I'm gonna hike 2,180 miles in 6 months"? Is he not hiking his own hike in a fashion?

I might have a different impression of the definition of a stunt, but to me it has always had a negative meaning when used in the manner of TW's post. Some people are driven by the extreme challenge of various endeavors and I find it hard to see what they are harming by pushing the boundaries of endurance. I understand that it is a completely different situation, but would Shackleton's accomplishment have been termed a stunt?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Snow pack in the Western mountains (Pacific Crest/Rockies) usually lasts into early-to-mid July. Snow and swift stream/river fords due to snowmelt can only make the going more difficult when you have to average 40-60 mpd to break a record.
    David had to endure these conditions in the High Sierra during his PCT record hike a few years ago. If only it could have started one or two weeks later. The Colorado Trail is short though and I'm sure he doesn't have to go back to university teaching until mid-August giving him more of a snow-free window for this latest record attempt.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    What makes his attempt any more a "stunt" than saying "I'm gonna hike 2,180 miles in 6 months"? Is he not hiking his own hike in a fashion?
    Maybe "publicity" hiking or "showoff" hiking or "boasting" hiking would be a better term. I get tired of the "look at me" hikers and the shameless self promotion of these guys. I wish they would just say to themselves, "hike my own hike."

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar214 View Post
    I think its incredible that a man that age can run on trails like that for so many miles each day. Not something that I have a desire to do but I enjoy reading about it on WB.

and....geez....let TW have his opinion...its not like he mention politics or religion (banned subject matter on WB)
    Totally off the subject, but age has nothing to do with it. It's mind over matter and preparation. Tiger Woods misses the cut at the Open, goes home and a 59 year old Tom Watson leads wire to wire and had a 10 footer to win on the 72nd hole. So, he missed and lost in the playoff. Same thing, different sport.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
    Maybe "publicity" hiking or "showoff" hiking or "boasting" hiking would be a better term. I get tired of the "look at me" hikers and the shameless self promotion of these guys. I wish they would just say to themselves, "hike my own hike."

Please start a new thread.

Thanks!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Totally off the subject, but age has nothing to do with it. It's mind over matter and preparation. Tiger Woods misses the cut at the Open, goes home and a 59 year old Tom Watson leads wire to wire and had a 10 footer to win on the 72nd hole. So, he missed and lost in the playoff. Same thing, different sport.
    Golf is not about physical endurance....long distance hiking is. I would not be as impressed with a 20yo doing the distances that Horton does...

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Totally off the subject, but age has nothing to do with it. It's mind over matter and preparation.
    I disagree. I've ran 100 mile races in fairly quick times when i was 51.
    Now, when i train more than a 20 mile run, i have this pain in my lower back near my kidneys that tells me to stop.

I have hiked with Batch who was 78 at the time. He had to get up at 4AM and start hiking to get the miles in that it takes to do a through-hike and still lasted 1,000 miles before stopping due to pains that his age made worse.

I have a good friend hiking the PCT right now who is my age. He is having all kinds of physical problems at mile 1100 that are new to him.

Age gives you the experience and brains to know what you need to do to get it done, but the body has the physical pains similar to a bald tire on your car.
    It just won't perform the same as one in it's prime.

As to those who want to complain about the thread: Geez, why do you come here? There are tons of threads on whiteblaze i would never open. Unless you're a troll or nothing else to do with your time, go to one that interests you!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++