WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default How much weight did you lose on the trail?

I was just wondering, (if you've done the whole trail, or a large section of it) did you lose a lot of weight? I was talking to a couple thru-hikers who said that they were in fair shape when they started, but halfway through PA, they'd lost 30 pounds. Does everyone lose this kind of weight? (Just curious- I'm not using the trail to lose weight, but it would be nice to lose a bit!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I was just wondering, (if you've done the whole trail, or a large section of it) did you lose a lot of weight? I was talking to a couple thru-hikers who said that they were in fair shape when they started, but halfway through PA, they'd lost 30 pounds. Does everyone lose this kind of weight? (Just curious- I'm not using the trail to lose weight, but it would be nice to lose a bit!)
    lost 45# in 60 days
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    lost 45# in 60 days
    See, I have weight to lose (female, about 170), and I was planning on losing 20 pounds before I leave for my thru in late February, and then hoping to lose at least twenty more on the trail, but I don't want to cut back on protein on the trail and get weak and end up going home. So I was figuring a very protein dense meal plan of about 3,000 calories per day. (At least to start out) Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Does everyone lose this kind of weight? (Just curious....
    I'd be interested in not only the amount but how long those hikers kept the weight off once they got off the trail. People seem to rebound their weight from calorie-deficient diets very quickly. I wonder about the energy expenditure and how the body reacts once the stress is over.

In today's age of information, I'd like to see a study on this as it somewhat approximates the Keys Semi-Starvation Experiment from the '50s. I suppose the results would be subject to question--it's hard to even imagine a 'control group' eating on the Trail.

TWS

I lose about 5 lbs on a thru.
    Gain it back in the next month or so.
    I stay active jogging, hiking, kayaking, stuff like that.
    I've never been more than 15 lbs more than my high school weight. (right now i'm about 10 lbs over)
    Having a wife who likes to cook helps me keep my weight up.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I was on the trail for 59 days and hiked 717 miles this Spring. I am 5'8" and went on the trail weighing 130 lbs. When I got home I weighed 117 lbs and despite the fact that I am eating "bad foods that I usually do not eat" all day long I have continued to lose weight and am down to 113 lbs. BTW I got home on June 16th. It scares me a bit. I'm hoping there is some logical explanation, like I'm loosing muscle weight. When I got home the skin on my torso was actually hanging loose and I looked really bad. In fact I called my husband from the motel the night before I came home to warn him of how emaciated I looked. The skin has filled back out again despite my continued weight loss. I am leaving on Tuesday to do another 200 miles and this time I will try to eat more.

lost 45# in 60 days
    I know that really took it's toll on you too. I have to assume you weren't getting enough calories each day. Did you get back on and change your diet some? I lost about 25# by Duncannon.

Images

I was down about ten pounds at one point, but gained it back before the end of the hike. I did get a lot thinner, though, as I gained muscle and lost fat. At the beginning of the hike I counted calories, packing about 3000 calories per day. As the I increased daily mileage and as the weather got colder, I ate as much as I wished when I could find it.

I don't think in terms of three meals a day. I plan a breakfast of 1000 calories, with at least 30 grams of protein, and a supper of 1000 calories, with at least 30 grams of protein. During the day I plan to eat 250-300 calories every hour to two hours, mostly carbs (candy) with some nuts and occasional things like chunks of cheese thrown in for good measure.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    I know that really took it's toll on you too. I have to assume you weren't getting enough calories each day. Did you get back on and change your diet some? I lost about 25# by Duncannon.
    I'm leaving 8/9/09 SOBO. I'm changing diet from 3500 to 4500 calories. the cold probably had a lot to do with it and YES it took a toll on me
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I'm leaving 8/9/09 SOBO. I'm changing diet from 3500 to 4500 calories. the cold probably had a lot to do with it and YES it took a toll on me
    If I recall, Karl, you are a big guy. You will still lose on 4500 calories a day IMO. You'll have to eat like crazy in towns.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I lost 57 lbs on my hike. I started about 20-25 lbs over the recommended weight for a person my age and height, so I expected to lose quite a bit as I got into better shape.

Statistics show that women dont lose as much weight on the traol as men do. I dont know the average weight loss for each. I dont hear of many women losing more than about 10 lbs on a thru. I will follow the thread to see if you get a substantial number of women stating otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Statistics show that women dont lose as much weight on the traol as men do. I dont know the average weight loss for each. I dont hear of many women losing more than about 10 lbs on a thru. I will follow the thread to see if you get a substantial number of women stating otherwise.
    I know women don't get that concentration-camp look that some men get. They seem to hold weight and not get to that stage. I don't recall reports from "heavier" women. I would be surprised if they didn't see significant loses.

Didn't keep track of lbs lost, but started at a tight 36" waist, and could easily fit into a 30-32 waist after Katahdin. I hiked with two guys who lost over 50 lbs each over the course of 6 months. One guy hiked hard every day and smoked/dipped pretty heavily. So not only did he lose all his fat weight, but could see his muscle loss as well, getting close to the concentration camp look by the end. They've both gained it all back. I've kept up with walking/biking/cycling, and watch my food portions. Have been able to keep the waist around 34 and not break out my old Fat Pants!!

Quote Originally Posted by blue07 View Post
    Have been able to keep the waist around 34 and not break out my old Fat Pants!!
    Weight is over-rated. Waist size is where it's at.

Lost 30 pounds the whole trip but 12 of that was in the 100 miles

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    ...I don't recall reports from "heavier" women. I would be surprised if they didn't see significant loses.
    At Glencliffe Hostel I ran into a NOBO woman who had lost 60 pounds so far in her hike. She was not scrawny even then.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I lost 24lbs by the time I finished at Daleville. This was 9 weeks / 718 miles. I started at 181, finished at 157 and now, 6 weeks later I'm reasonably steady at 164.

For me, I was very alarmed at the rate of loss. After the first 4 weeks I started eating about 50% more on the trail and pigging out something bad in towns but the rate of loss stayed the same or got even worse. I lost so much weight around the waist that my waist belt ran out of adjustment 10 days before I finished.

This info has me pretty psyched about my 2010 thru. I've been trying to lose weight forever. Hopefully this will get me down to under 200lbs for the first time in 15 years.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Rapid weight loss like that means something isn't right diet wise. The only time I dropped weight like mad was in ME (lost 10 lb in a week) when my mail drop failed to arrive- and I had to subsist on mashed potatoes and pop tarts from the convenience store (and we ran out of food also and were doing high miles). I was the same weight after I dropped my initial 20 lbs (which was by about VA or six weeks into the trail) all the way until Maine by using a mix of food drops and grocery supplies.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Springer Mtn.: 5'8", about 225 lbs, 38-32 jeans
    Harper's Ferry: 5'8", 155 bs on the scale at ATC HQ
    Katahdin: 5'8", about 140 lbs, 28-32 jeans

Present: 5'8", fat as I ever was. Took about a year and some hard couchtaterin' to gain it back.
    Gonna lose it all again this year Greylock>Springer>Big K 09'-10'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++