WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Making (real) coffee on trail?

How can you make real- not instant- coffee on trail? I can't just get the french press for the jetboil, because I have a pocketrocket (and I don't intent to switch, because I love my pocketrocket), and I don't reallly like instant coffee- I like the real thing. So how could I make it? I've tried putting coffee grounds in one of those cloth tea bags, but it makes it really weak and you have to boil it for EVER. So how do you all make coffee on trail?

And about the instant coffee, I actually don't really know if I like it or know- what do you all think about it?

Images

Sorry, I meant "coffee" in the title.

Images

Lots of coffee threads on the forum. I usually just make cowboy coffee: bring water to just short of a boil, toss in coffee, let rest so the grounds settle, and enjoy. There are lexan coffee presses which work pretty well, but are single-use items. There's a french press device available for a Nalgene bottle. We can get pretty passionate about coffee on this board!

I was in REI last week and noted several small portable devices for making "real" coffee - as I recall, one involved a cup with screen-type sides which you insert into your coffee cup and let it marinate, French Press-style. Probably better than instant. Why don't you take a ride over to Campmor (not on a Sunday!) and check things out.

Here's the Campmor link to coffee-related items. Check out the last item in the lower right corner of the first page - it's similar or identical to what I saw at REI.

I used a metal dome that goes to a candle lantern. It formed a funnel. I used a cone coffe filter and adjusted the amount. I could make one cup of six, depending on the amount wanted.

Images

I have a plastic device that holds a no# 2 filter and coffee seems to run through to quick to get strong enough for my liking I am experimenting now with taster choice Columbian instant and cold brew coffee concentrate. verdict is still out though.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

skidsteer developed a light weight cone coffee brewer. It uses ziplock containers and the single cup filters. You can find the thread with search function.

Cowboy coffee with a tea strainer works fine. The Campmor french press works good also. Kind of heavy though.

Many swear by coffee bags.

Grinder
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I was in REI last week and noted several small portable devices for making "real" coffee - as I recall, one involved a cup with screen-type sides which you insert into your coffee cup and let it marinate, French Press-style. Probably better than instant. Why don't you take a ride over to Campmor (not on a Sunday!) and check things out.
    I just got one of those for my wife's AM brew. She is happy with the results. Its cheap an light, too.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I love fresh brewed but I got to admit that I've found a really good instant. Nescafe Classico. Found it at Target in the mexican found section. Most of the label is in spanish so I'm guessing that it isn't normally in the US market. I haven't seen it in a typical grocery store. It was a $1 for 6 packets.

you don't get any easier than this I use it all the time at home and all you do is boil water get number 2 cone filters and pour the water over the coffee grounds plus super cheap and weighs next to nothing. Closest thing to making it from a real drip machine personally still like perked coffee myself.
    https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+007&Cat=

Images

I usually use a snowpeak Ti french press - makes great coffee.

when I was out west last month, I too found some mexican stuff, it was instant expresso... label was all in spanish - don't know what it was called, but its the only instant i somewhat liked

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    you don't get any easier than this I use it all the time at home and all you do is boil water get number 2 cone filters and pour the water over the coffee grounds plus super cheap and weighs next to nothing. Closest thing to making it from a real drip machine personally still like perked coffee myself.
    https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+007&Cat=

Thats what I use but coffee is weak no mater how much I add to filter I have tried putting the coffee in bot bringing to boil let it sit and then putting through the cone but to much mess and hassle.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

From the Campmor pages, I own this one:
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80750

It's small, light, easy to use. Just kind of a pain to clean out. But it does the job. More often than not, though, I end up with instant packets.
    --There is always more uphill.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    How can you make real- not instant- coffee on trail? I can't just get the french press for the jetboil, because I have a pocketrocket (and I don't intent to switch, because I love my pocketrocket), and I don't reallly like instant coffee- I like the real thing. So how could I make it? I've tried putting coffee grounds in one of those cloth tea bags, but it makes it really weak and you have to boil it for EVER. So how do you all make coffee on trail?And about the instant coffee, I actually don't really know if I like it or know- what do you all think about it?

have you tried (freeze dried)TASTERS CHOICE?
    The BEST instant coffee or if you
    like your coffee SUPER STRONG (like me)..try freeze-dried CAFE BUSTELLO espresso blend.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    have you tried (freeze dried)TASTERS CHOICE?
    The BEST instant coffee or if you
    like your coffee SUPER STRONG (like me)..try freeze-dried CAFE BUSTELLO espresso blend.
    When traveling light this is my choice also, doesn't taste to bad and gives you that all important jolt in the morning to get you moving.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

If you don't mind a few extra ounces, the plain ol' presspot/mug combo is about the easiest fix. About 1.5 spoonfulls of coffee for a cup and a tad left over to warm up with. Easy to use, easy to clean out. I always tell folks that my presspot/mug and my North Face storm coat are my two most essential pieces of gear.

Images

All instant coffee is nasty. .....sorry......it just had to be said.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++