WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    As I was hiking last month north of Reed's Gap (just south of SNP) I saw what I thought at first was a coyote. It was about 30 feet away and just stood and stared at me. I then noticed it didn't have coyote ears but more like wolf ears. It had pale eyes and a reddish gray coat. It didn't seem to be afraid of me till I yelled at it and it loped away. Have there been any reports of wolves around there?
    There is a wolf sanctuary at the border of N.C. and Virginia, could be an escapee..But then, the Eastern Red Wolf is still know to be in existance even though it is very rare..Their range did at one time expand the entire east coast..Thanks to those silly guys that came over from England back in the 15th Century..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

Check this link http://www.fws.gov/nc-es/mammal/redwolf.html

The wolves are not confined

From the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge web site
    The red wolf was in trouble long before Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge existed. Native to the southeastern United States, the species had been eradicated from all but a small segment of its original range. By the early 1970's, the US Fish and Wildlife Service had captured the few remaining red wolves and declared the species extinct in the wild. Through captive breeding, red wolves were maintained while a suitable location was found to re-establish them back into the wild. For red wolves, Alligator River offered hope.
    By 1986, a five-year experiment to rebuild a self-sustaining red wolf population in the wild began. During this experiment, red wolves proved that they could adapt to life in the wild ... that they could find food and avoid people ... the necesary combination for success. Today, red wolves roam free in eastern North Carolina.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

There are foxes that run around the Charlottesville area, I see them occasionally when out for early morning runs, they could possibly wander up to the mountains. Just an idea.

Images

Wasn't red and definitely not a fox.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I think I read the other day that something like 60% of the eastern coyotes tested were wolf-hybrids.
    I've read that coyotes in the northeast USA and southeast Canada are hybrids with wolves, by DNA testing. They're also larger than western coyotes.

Don't forget that there are wolves in Quebec. I'm not sure if any parts of the St. Lawrence River freezes over. I've read a trip report of someone crossing Lake Erie on the ice in winter, but that's a bit of a haul from where the wolves are common in Quebec. I've been at a park north of Lac St. Jean in Quebec where there are wolves, but they're rarely seen.

There's an interesting article about a possible pack of wolves south of the St. Lawrence near the Vermont border:
    http://www.timberwolfinformation.org...ews.cfm?ID=314

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    Per US Fish and Wildlife:

Gray Wolf: http://ecos.fws.gov/speciesProfile/p...on?spcode=A00D

And per NPCA:

Red Wolf: http://www.npca.org/wildlife_protect...s/redwolf.html

I couldn't find anything about gray wolves being in the southeast. Red wolves are on islands in MS and NC.

I realize this post is old, but I just had to say I know for a fact there are grey wolves in VA. I've seen and heard them myself while out backpacking. I was so shocked when I did that I did some research online and found this article:
    http://www.vlrc.org/articles/42.html

Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    I realize this post is old, but I just had to say I know for a fact there are grey wolves in VA. I've seen and heard them myself while out backpacking. I was so shocked when I did that I did some research online and found this article:
    Go to the bottom and read the "Note":
    [NOTE: Some of this “article” is fiction, but most of it is taken from real news sources, research and articles. Wolf reintroduction to the Allegheny Highlands is not as far-fetched as it might appear. The Wildlands Project is being implemented by stealth. The Nature Conservancy and other radical environmental organizations are fully committed to the subversive plan to destabilize rural America, transfer control of private property to state and federal government, and ultimately, to a tyrannical New World Order government under the United Nations. Don’t take our word for it. Research the facts.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Among the rmany gems in the BS article... "The Nature Conservancy and other radical environmental organizations are fully committed to the subversive plan to destabilize rural America"

You could have seen a Coywolf, a hybrid of a coyote and a wolf. There is a documentary on Netflix about it.

With dwindling wolf populations in Canada, they are breeding with coyotes. Not typical.

Coywolves have the brain of a coyote with the strength and body size of a wolf and not nearly as timid around humans as a coyotes are.

Carl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Go to the bottom and read the "Note":
    [NOTE: Some of this “article” is fiction, but most of it is taken from real news sources, research and articles. Wolf reintroduction to the Allegheny Highlands is not as far-fetched as it might appear. The Wildlands Project is being implemented by stealth. The Nature Conservancy and other radical environmental organizations are fully committed to the subversive plan to destabilize rural America, transfer control of private property to state and federal government, and ultimately, to a tyrannical New World Order government under the United Nations. Don’t take our word for it. Research the facts.
    I knew those wolves were up to something. I never figured them joining up with the Illuminati though. I'll bet the Pandas are in on it too. They're on the WWF logo. Sneaky devils.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Zebras are reactionaries,
    Antelopes are missionaries,
    Pigeons plot in secrecy,
    And hamsters turn on frequently.
    What a gas! You gotta come and see
    At the zoo.
    (Paul Simon)

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I knew those wolves were up to something. I never figured them joining up with the Illuminati though. I'll bet the Pandas are in on it too. They're on the WWF logo. Sneaky devils.
    They are being released into the wild by black helicopters that are putting out chemtrails too.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Pigeons plot in secrecy,
    At the zoo.
    (Paul Simon)
    But is the A.T. really a light and tumble journey?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Pigeons plot in secrecy,
    At the zoo.
    (Paul Simon)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    But is the A.T. really a light and tumble journey?
    Its all happenin' at the fair!

I wonder if this is related to the reintroduction of seals in Fontana Lake...

Just read a great article about coywolves. I think that likely the OP saw a coywolf:

http://www.c-ville.com/coywolves-alb.../#.W1I2Q8InaHs

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I think I read the other day that something like 60% of the eastern coyotes tested were wolf-hybrids.
    Possibly a Coywolf, as discussed about 3 years ago on PBS. Very interesting development.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++