WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Angry Darlington and Townies

Hiked from Boiling Springs to Duncannon this weekend, with a night at Darlington. All was well, with a shelter full of thru-hikers. Around midnight some idiots in enyce jeans came strolling up, banging on a drum, pitching tents, smoking weed, and shouting like they were from the slums of baltimore.

All of the hikers we spoke to said they've never seen anything like that in their 1000+ miles they've done so far. Wish there was something that could be done to prevent this crap. Needless to say, the next day was exhausting.

In the event that one of these clowns see this post (doubtful), I've got a dirty boot and a desire to shove it up your arse. Stay off the trail.

another reason to just never camp near or stay in shelters. there's 1000s of acres of quiet woods to sleep in

Images

What are enyce jeans?

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    Hiked from Boiling Springs to Duncannon this weekend, with a night at Darlington. All was well, with a shelter full of thru-hikers. Around midnight some idiots in enyce jeans came strolling up, banging on a drum, pitching tents, smoking weed, and shouting like they were from the slums of baltimore.

All of the hikers we spoke to said they've never seen anything like that in their 1000+ miles they've done so far. Wish there was something that could be done to prevent this crap. Needless to say, the next day was exhausting.

In the event that one of these clowns see this post (doubtful), I've got a dirty boot and a desire to shove it up your arse. Stay off the trail.
    While that would be frustrating, perhaps you may consider not camping near shelters to avoid these sort of events... After all it's a free country, you are completely free to stay where you did, but then again so are they!

Your want for quite could be seen as an infringement on their want for loud.. Simply different objectives, so aim to avoid these situations by avoiding shelters and any other place people converge!

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    What are enyce jeans?
    I was just wondering the same thing myself!
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Images

I should have Googled first. Bet they like rat music.

Images

Should've applied that dirty boot where it needed to be the night of the encounter so there were no mixed messages!! But perhaps circumstances would not allow it?? Sorry to here about your experience!! The more I read on this site the more I think to myself, "screw the shelter life!" W-W

Images

shelters suck .. but seriously wasnt anyone like cut the crap to them ?
    i mean ive crawled into a shelter or set up a tent later than that
    but did it real quiet ..if someone was banging a drum i would be like ****

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    I should have Googled first. Bet they like rat music.
    What is rat music? Or did you mean RAP music (Retards Attempting Poetry)?
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

It was too late to round everybody up for a confrontation, i had no idea what these idiots were up to. However, great advice, I'm staying away from shelters and getting a hammock.

It was too late to round everybody up for a confrontation, i had no idea what these idiots were up to. However, great advice, I'm staying away from shelters and getting a hammock.
    Good choice.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

shelters close to roads are usually bad news....those deep in the woods are usually okay.....as far as townies go.....

This is hysterical. You would rather stay there and be mad then take 10 minutes and move elsewhere. I'm afraid you are the clown, sorry.

Images

Hmmm... I think I might just grab my hammock and head out there to Darlington tonight...maybe I can catch the circus...sounds like great entertainment!

Storyteller
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    another reason to just never camp near or stay in shelters. there's 1000s of acres of quiet woods to sleep in
    Technically, I think the only places you are allowed to camp between Boiling Springs and Duncannon are at Darlington and Cove. Not that there is likely to be a state forest ranger out there looking for stealth campers.

As far as any sort of confrontation with them is concerned, not sure that would be wise. Even if you had numbers, no telling who might be packing these days.

Your best bet would probably be to let the ATC in Boiling Springs know what went on so they can try to keep an eye on the situation in the future.

Thanks for the post, though. I was thinking of taking Cookie Monster on a slightly shorter version of that hike -- something like Trindle Road or Route 11 to Duncannon -- later this summer if her first overnighter (Mid State Trail, Weikert to Poe Paddy and back) this weekend goes well. Definitely does not sound like a situation I'd want to encounter with a 13-year-old along.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post

Your best bet would probably be to let the ATC in Boiling Springs know what went on so they can try to keep an eye on the situation in the future.
    nah. that office let the the 1990 murderer walk on by. they as well as ATC took no active role in the apprehension of Crews

nah. that office let the the 1990 murderer walk on by. they as well as ATC took no active role in the apprehension of Crews
    and YOU did???

(i know you did just bustin your balls)

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    and YOU did???

(i know you did just bustin your balls)
    no. but 3 of my friends did. and caught him.

no. but 3 of my friends did. and caught him.
    my bad...i thought you were one of the guys that got him.

Images

Both the Cove Mtn. & Darlington Shelters are in St. Games Lands 170...
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/game/...24&submit.y=16

I have never once seen a PA Law Enforcement Officer at either shelter in many years of camping and day-hiking in 170...or on Peters Mtn... (even during WWIII...I mean...deer hunting season). Only place I've run into them was out in Stony Valley (Game Lands 211) near Rausch Gap and that was 1 time 5 or 6 years ago. Seems that the Game Commission or whomever is the law enforcement in these places is nonexistent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++