WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Alright, just one more time…

Please explain to me the reason for packing out TP? I don’t get it. I can see the rational for packing out feces and TP – I absolutely don’t agree, but I can see the rationale. However, I just don’t get the packing out TP.

I’ve heard some say it’s to prevent the animals from getting a hold of it and spreading disease, blah, blah, blah. However, if you believe that, then why not pack everything out, not just the TP?

ALSO,

Did someone do a crap burying experiment to determine the six-inch rule?
    I don’t believe burying your waste 6 inches will keep animals away, because the soil on the AT is very porous (especially after digging through), they’ll easily sniff it out, but who cares, that’s what animals do, that’s why they’re animals.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Please explain to me the reason for packing out TP? I don’t get it. I can see the rational for packing out feces and TP – I absolutely don’t agree, but I can see the rationale. However, I just don’t get the packing out TP.

I’ve heard some say it’s to prevent the animals from getting a hold of it and spreading disease, blah, blah, blah. However, if you believe that, then why not pack everything out, not just the TP?

ALSO,

Did someone do a crap burying experiment to determine the six-inch rule?
    I don’t believe burying your waste 6 inches will keep animals away, because the soil on the AT is very porous (especially after digging through), they’ll easily sniff it out, but who cares, that’s what animals do, that’s why they’re animals.
    I am in agrement with John. There is NO reason to carry out TP and poop. And let alone pee. That is just dumb.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

There's a ton of crap-covered TP up in Harriman / Bear Mtn along the AT.

Animals Dig up TP and wind blows it around.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    There's a ton of crap-covered TP up in Harriman / Bear Mtn along the AT.

Animals Dig up TP and wind blows it around.
    Until it rains and then it just sits there, ugly as all get out.

Lots of places on lots of trails have white flower gardens of toilet paper blossums. Never mind packing it out, at least get out of sight of the trail or shelter.

But my favorite is people who take care to bury their waste and TP in the snow.
    Frosty

Images

I have to agree as well. Why is it okay for animals to do it in the woods but not us? I'm not packing out anything like that. Ever. "Hey, what's in your pack?" "Oh the usual. Stove, sleeping bag, food, zip lock bag full of used s*** covered tp."
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I like to dig a hole, go, and then burn the toilet paper in the hole. Then I fill in the hole. Works well for me.
    I hate when people leave their toilet paper on the ground. I'm not sure what they are thinking, but I have seen that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingtime View Post
    I like to dig a hole, go, and then burn the toilet paper in the hole. Then I fill in the hole. Works well for me.
    I hate when people leave their toilet paper on the ground. I'm not sure what they are thinking, but I have seen that a lot.
    Unfortunately, some people are just slobs. I stayed at a shelter last weekend and right behind the shelter was a pile a dung and a lot of TP. 20 feet more in that direction was a nice privy. Sigh.
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Images

I wish all hikers were as conscience about the 6 inch rule as they should be but unfortunately they're not.
    Like Buzz I too have seen human feces where it didn't belong , not more than six inches off the trail with tp nearby.
    Now that I think of it , maybe they misinterpreted the 6 rule.

What's the old saying ....you can't fix stupid.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe View Post
    I am in agrement with John. There is NO reason to carry out TP and poop. And let alone pee. That is just dumb.
    on the AT for sure

it's all about the food... Safari's Avatar

packing out pee...?????!!!!! Sheesh
    'Have fun & stay cool.' - Ranulph Fiennes

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Safari View Post
    packing out pee...?????!!!!! Sheesh
    Is that what that Platypiss is for ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Since no one has posted any regulations or guidelines from any AT resource management agency or any related research, I thought I'd add my 2¢ to the pile too until I remembered reading somewhere it costs more than 2¢ to produce 2 cents.

By the time we're finished amassing nothing but personal opinions based in most cases upon convenience, we are sure to have created something worth reading once again. Why not just poll the membership as to what each person does, it would accomplish more.

Images

I used those biodegradable wipes from wally world dig a cat hold and drop them in
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey it needed to be said I am still waiting for Water Soluble Camo colored TP!

I would buy it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hey it needed to be said I am still waiting for Water Soluble Camo colored TP!

I would buy it.
    http://www.productdose.com/article.php?article_id=6567

where's weasy when ya need him?... he volunteers to pack out your poo... without even asking... the problem is that would suggest you hike with him... "that's okay weasy, my poo will be just fine wherever i dump it"

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Here is the direct quote from the ATC website (emphasis mine):

No one should venture onto the A.T. without a trowel, used for digging a 6"-8" deep "cathole" to bury waste. Bury feces at least two hundred feet or seventy paces away from water, trails, or shelters. Use a stick to mix dirt with your waste, which hastens decomposition and discourages animals from digging it up. Used toilet paper should either be buried in your cathole or carried out in a sealed plastic bag. Hygiene products such as sanitary napkins should always be carried out.
    So it seems that they considering burying acceptable, as long as it's deep enough.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Trash is trash...dispose of it properly or carry it out. It seems like a simple concept but maybe it's not.

My preferred method is to dig a cathole for the feces and burn the tp in the cathole. But I moved to the arid mountain west and that practice is pretty risky June through September. FYI, one of the reasons for the guidance about cathole depth is the active biodgrading organisms found in that level of soil. Too shallow, and there will be severely diminished decompostion (area soils differ).

Pollution (includes trash) is "a resource out of place." Feces in the right place and the right amount is a fertilizer. Feces on or near a trail or campsite, dropped by camper after camper, day after day, is an ugly sight and possible health hazard. One or two hikers might not 'hurt' but the collective certainly does.

When I hike/camp I try to leave an area in a way that no one can tell I was there...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Just for clairication, I wasn't making an argument for not burying your crap. I'm just raising the flag on the reason they (the "authorities" of LNT) give for the reason why one should bury crap.

It should be buried, for the same reason that a toilet should be flushed - period. But don't be fooled - animals can find it.

BTW, if you dig a 6-8 inch cathole, how much of that hole can you fill-up
    before you fill it in?

I wouldn't doubt if the TP degrades quicker than the other stuff. I compost and paper stuff goes pretty quick.

I'm almost tempted to do an experiment

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++