WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Black Flies in late July?

Hey guys,
    LW and I are planning on hiking the long trail in mid to late July. How terrible are the black flies around this time? Anybody know? This is the only time I can work in a long distance hike between my semesters at school. I've been wanting to do the long trail for awhile. Thanks in advance, Gypsy
    Dancin' Queen

Not bad at all, late-July is usually the tail end of blackfly season. Nice time of year to hike in Vermont, you'll enjoy it!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
    Hey guys,
    LW and I are planning on hiking the long trail in mid to late July. How terrible are the black flies around this time? Anybody know? This is the only time I can work in a long distance hike between my semesters at school. I've been wanting to do the long trail for awhile. Thanks in advance, Gypsy
    I don't worry about black flies after the first week of July. But one can never say for sure. Nature is full of surprises.

Gypsy:

I'm not a New Englander like Teej & Weary, but I had only a few black flies bother me in VT & NH in late July.

Mosquitoes? That's a different story! Nothing a little campfire won't cure though.

Have a blast!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    Gypsy:

I'm not a New Englander like Teej & Weary, but I had only a few black flies bother me in VT & NH in late July.

Mosquitoes? That's a different story! Nothing a little campfire won't cure though.

Have a blast!
    Or a Zip Stove.

Images

Thanks you guys, I'm glad. I'll just make sure that I carry alot of Deet--the 100%-peel-your-face-off kind.
    Dancin' Queen

It varies year to year. I have been out as early as mid-May to early June on extended Long Trail hikes with little to no problem and then got chewed up by black flies in July. Glastenbury Mountain seems to a popular place to find them even late into the summer season. With the good amount of snow we have accumulated this year the bug season could be extended, especially if we have a lot of rain over the next two months. Having done three LT thrus and almost done with number four I have to say that for me the most annoying bugs have been deer flies.

++ New Posts ++