WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default $30,000 and backpacking long trails?

This is my first post on this website. I used to post all the time at BPer, but forgot my password and now can't seem to get back on.

Just so you all take me seriously, here is a partial list of what I have done over the years: AT(twice)-1992/2001, PCT(CA)-1996, CDT(NM, southern CO-1997), 600 miles of Ice Age Trail, Long Trail-1991/2005, 88 of NE 100 highest, 13 of ADK 46ers, 39 of CO 14ers, 121 of CO 13ers, Ozark Highlands Trail-2004, 36 of AZ 66 highest peaks, 20 state highpoints and much more.

Anyways, this is my question: Assuming you have $30,000 saved up(possible a whole lot more) and all you wanted to do was backpacking/hiking as much as possible for as long a time as possible, and assuming you have all the necessary gear(and enough knowledge), allowing yourself to do trails here in the US as well as Europe, Canada and Australia..............

How long could you make the above amount last?

What do you think would be a average spent per month?

Travel costs, buses, train, airfare, etc are going to be the expensive part... play around on kayak.com and other travel websites to get an idea of what it takes to get somewhere.

I would also make it a goal to visit each state and their national parks.

Great question! I'd try and spend a year in OZ and New Zealand. I'm woefully ignorant about expenses in those countries, so that's a WAG. If I could jump a ride to Antarctica for a summer month, that would be a nice topper. Dream on...
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Mowgli,

Would you really spend all $30,000 just in the land down under?

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Mowgli,

Would you really spend all $30,000 just in the land down under?
    Yeah, but I'd buy American.

Images

Truth be told, I'm very close to having that much in the bank. My goal is to save for another 2 years, then hike for the rest of my life(or until the money runs out).

So many trails, way too little time!

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post

For me, that's the plan for YEAR 5!

Images

YEAR 1--4 are a secret. Can't tell anybody, cuz if I do, someone else would beat me to it. There aren't very many "firsts" left in the world, much less the hiking/backpacking world.

Truth be told, I'm very close to having that much in the bank. My goal is to save for another 2 years, then hike for the rest of my life(or until the money runs out).

The Bibbulmun Track has always intrigued me.

http://www.bibbulmuntrack.org.au/

Stateside, if I had a list of trails to choose from, AZ Trail, CO Trail, and Superior Hiking Trail, the Cohoes Trail and the Northville Placid Trail, in that order.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Make sure you time it right when you hit SC. There is a small comfort window when it comes to the only National Park.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    Make sure you time it right when you hit SC. There is a small comfort window when it comes to the only National Park.
    I was SAVAGELY attacked by mosquitoes on the Palmetto Trail near the coast (HWY 17) in the summer. I ran back to the car and about 50 mosquitoes got in the car with me. Serious!

I think the question at your age might be how long can you afford to stay out of the workforce?

Do you have a pension or other retirement savings that will be ongoing even when you spend the $30,000 or so?

If not, taking off several years to hike may severely impact your ability to go back and get a job to finance your final retirement years when you may not want (or be able) to hike long distance trails constantly.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

I'm thinkin' about 3 to 3.5 years. That's about 800 a month. I think you'll spend more in inclimate weather.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Images

You gonna have any kind of health insurance?
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    I think the question at your age might be how long can you afford to stay out of the workforce?

Do you have a pension or other retirement savings that will be ongoing even when you spend the $30,000 or so?

If not, taking off several years to hike may severely impact your ability to go back and get a job to finance your final retirement years when you may not want (or be able) to hike long distance trails constantly.

Who says I want to get back into the work force? The money saved up is to get me away from the work force, away from the 9--5 BS, away from time clocks, walls that surround me 8 hours a day, etc.

Don't have a pension or retirement savings. Not worried about that right now. As long as i stay healthy, I'll hike til the money runs out, then go work at any employer that hires older people. There are lots of them out there, you just have to know where to look.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    You gonna have any kind of health insurance?
    I'll do my best to have some kind of insurance to cover me while I'm out there hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    I'm thinkin' about 3 to 3.5 years. That's about 800 a month. I think you'll spend more in inclimate weather.

WOW!! What would you do with $800.00 to spend each month? Would you even spend any time actually hiking?
    I guess what I'm saying is that if you are thru-hiking the AT(or any other trail), couldn't you do it on less than $400.00/month? I mean $800.00/month is a lot of money, KA-Ching!!

Images

WOW!! What would you do with $800.00 to spend each month? Would you even spend any time actually hiking?
    I guess what I'm saying is that if you are thru-hiking the AT(or any other trail), couldn't you do it on less than $400.00/month? I mean $800.00/month is a lot of money, KA-Ching!!
    You could do it for less than $400 a month if everything went perfectly but you were talking about years on end all months of the year. I just think 30K would be gone inside of 3.5 years. JMO.

insurance costs money. Without insurance you could get injured or sick and the money would be gone in a flash.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~

Asia is cheap. Watch the dollar though. Right now NZ is a good deal.
    Indonesia, Borneo, New Guinea are always pretty cheap.
    China is getting more and more expensive though.

I'd figure on about $200 a month for the above choices. (I'm pretty frugal though)
    And that price does not include getting there. But you can work your way on yachts throughout south east asia down to Oz. NZ is never a cheap flight from anywhere though.

Check out Francis Tapon's blog, he's doing it.
    Right now he's in Eastern Europe and the southern ex-Russian countries.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++