WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Bryson applied to be a 2000-Miler?

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but I got to talking to a few other hikers, and of course, A Walk in the Woods came up. I was absolutely astonished when one of them told me that Bill Bryson had applied to be granted 2000-Miler status by the ATC, and, even though he admitted to never hiking the entire trail in his book, the ATC was forced to send him a rocker and a certificate.

Does anyone know if this is verifiable? or do I have to call the ATC to check?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Filadelfia Greenberg View Post
    I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but I got to talking to a few other hikers, and of course, A Walk in the Woods came up. I was absolutely astonished when one of them told me that Bill Bryson had applied to be granted 2000-Miler status by the ATC, and, even though he admitted to never hiking the entire trail in his book, the ATC was forced to send him a rocker and a certificate.

Thanks.
    highly unlikely but call the ATC tomorrow and ask so you'll sleep at night. there are tons of patch wearin', certificate on the wall hangin' hikers out there that didn't actually walk the whole thing

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

As he only hiked around 870 miles I highly doubt it.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

For all of the disagreement - largely petty - with what Bryson wrote, I've met him (in Hanover, in 2001) and I've never heard or seen anything about him that would suggest such dishonesty as that. I'd be amazed if he did so, and anyone who spread that rumor in any meaningful way (which hasn't happened here on this site) would probably hear from his lawyers. Wrong about a lot of the AT? Yeah. A patch thief? I doubt it.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Seems to be an irritation to some.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The certificate and rocker only mean something to the hiker. No one else cares.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I thought Bill Bryson was a candy ass ? http://www.guitar-antics.com/images/billbryson.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RAT View Post
    I thought Bill Bryson was a candy ass ? http://www.guitar-antics.com/images/billbryson.jpg
    NLY in jack's eyes. he jealous he doesn't have a book and bryson's talent

Quote Originally Posted by lone Wolf View Post
    nly In Jack's Eyes. He Jealous He Doesn't Have A Book And Bryson's Talent
    Only.........

I don't know, but I'm confident that Bryson didn't apply; I mean come on people, he admitted to skipping major portions of the AT in a famous book. However, on the other hand I'm also confident that many have fraudulently applied and received the patch.

Anyone denies that?

How do we know between the book and now that he hasnt gone back and finished those sections?

Images

I would be very surprised if Bryson did apply to be a 2000 miler.

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Filadelfia Greenberg View Post

Thanks.
    Who cares?
    Why would it matter?
    Why is it a concern to you?

Images

If there is such a rumor, I doubt that anyone really believes it. I rather think it is some kind attempt at humor.

Panzer

Images

I guess that I really don't care one way or the other about whether Bryson applied for the 2000 miler patch. I would like to hike the entire AT in my lifetime, but not so that I can show off the patch.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

My bet is Bryson doesn't care about the patch.

I would say that Bryson's 'patch' actually IS the book. He sold tens of thousands of copies under the pretext that it was a book about hiking the entire Appalachain Trail. Even reading the preface you dont know that it isnt about a thru hike. You have to read into the book to find out that it was a shortened hike. He passed himself off as some sort of expert about the AT, when in reality he doesnt really know that much at all except what he himself read or got from interviewing other hikers. That is the issue that a lot of the thru hiker community have with Bryson.

When it all comes down to it, he thru hiked about 250 miles. The rest of the book is about his day hiking along various points of the AT. I attribute this single factor to his having incorrect information throughout his book. One doesnt know how a thru hiker is feeling after 4 or 6 or 8 or 20 consectutive weeks in the woods, or after 8-10 consectutive days of rain, or a week of scorching heat unless you have been there and done that.

Yeah, that bugged me. There was a little dishonesty going on at the beginning of that book - starting with the grizzly bear on the cover (but authors have no control over that). It's at least fifty pages into the book before it's revealed that they're going to quit, and WORSE - that Bryson never intended to thru hike the entire trial anyhow. That wasn't his goal, and he never set aside the months to even attempt it. Which is fine - except that those facts are buried in a book that openly suggests otherwise.

Like the book, all thru-hikers don't know if they are actually going to thru-hike until they get to the end or quit somewhere in between. Bryson allows us to discover that like a thru-attempter does. Perhaps he never really planned to hike the entire trail, but maybe he really wasn't too sure himself how far he wanted to go when he started. Again, he let's us discover that as he goes, just like any other hiker does. Anyway, it is just a book, and a funny one at that.

Regarding the patch issue: It is just cloth, thread and words. Anyone can get one or make one. Means nothing at all, except to those who want to make it into more than what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    One doesnt know how a thru hiker is feeling after 4 or 6 or 8 or 20 consectutive weeks in the woods, or after 8-10 consectutive days of rain, or a week of scorching heat unless you have been there and done that.
    100% correct, but plenty of books have been written by thru hikers that discuss that stuff and they're not that funny or sell very well.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++