WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Colorado mountains, want to camp above 14000 feet, good easy mountain?

So this fall I will be going out to Colorado and doing at least one overnighter somewhere. I want to camp up high somewhere to be able to see the stars and all that fun stuff. Which is a good 14er? This will be in Oct.

Images

Dude sometimes in october I am already snowboarding. I would say that 1st I have never camped on top of a 14teener because its kinda dangerous but HYOH. 2nd by mid to late october theres already snow on most of them but I would say maybe MT. Evans or Pikes Peak because you can drive to the top and if it got bad you could head out. Good luck and BECAREFUL!

Images

I think you should ask MAGS. He is the resident expert. I just do 14teeners about once or twice a year. Although I will be doing one a week from saturday. HEHEHEHEHE

Why not go for Elbert? the big one?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Just get away from city/town lights, any old place, and you will see plenty of stars.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Just get away from city/town lights, any old place, and you will see plenty of stars.
    I dont think he will be able to get to the top of one of those at that time of year. If you have hiked a 14teener you will be looking down on the lights and I dont think it would make much differents because you are so high.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Why not go for Elbert? the big one?
    HA!!! I know for sure that will have snow on it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe View Post
    I dont think he will be able to get to the top of one of those at that time of year. If you have hiked a 14teener you will be looking down on the lights and I dont think it would make much differents because you are so high.
    Or want to. Any old place, including punkin center, will have stars galore compared to back east.

Plenty of airplane lights, too.

Images

I dont know where punkin center is.?.?.

Images

Halfway between Ordway and Limon. Bout middle of nothing on the plains.

My dorky humor. But, more stars than here!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Halfway between Ordway and Limon. Bout middle of nothing on the plains.

My dorky humor. But, more stars than here!
    That is true if you want to see stars out east is the place to go. I dont think there is a tree out there. The hammock hangers would have a hard time.

HA!!! I know for sure that will have snow on it.
    Is there a problem with snow?
    Am i missing something here? Do tell.

Images

Is there a problem with snow?
    Am i missing something here? Do tell.
    NO, NO, NO I love snow. Hence the name "snowhoe". I just dont think it would be good to hike a 14teener in october. Not that it has not been done but I wouldnt stay over night on one then or any time. You get stuck in a snow storm on top of a 14,000 foot mountain you my friend are in real trouble.

How about March or April?

Images

How about March or April?
    HMMMM I would think not then either. Lets think about this most ski resorts are still open and if they have enough snow to ride on think how much snow is on the way to and on top of a 14,000 foot mountain. Ski resorts are on average about 8000 feet. I think that you need to talk to Mags. I dont really like hiking 14teeners but I try to do about 2 a year. To me all the 14teeners I have hiked all looked the same at the top. I have had some friends hike a couple in june(last month) and looked like it was still winter up there. BUT we have had a cool spring and early summer. LOTS of rain. I am kinda a long distance hiker. I can tell you when I hiked my 1st 14teener it kicked my a$$. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. You leave at like 4:30 in the morning, that way you can summit and get down before the lighting starts. I will be doing Mt Massive a week from this Saturday.

NO, NO, NO I love snow. Hence the name "snowhoe". I just dont think it would be good to hike a 14teener in october. Not that it has not been done but I wouldnt stay over night on one then or any time. You get stuck in a snow storm on top of a 14,000 foot mountain you my friend are in real trouble.
    Yeah, but if you don't try, you might miss out on some good stuff:

(That was a hiking trip where we camped at 17,500' in March 2004)

Images

Thats pretty cool! Dude by all means go for it. Colorado has the best rescue team on the planet. lol

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we did elbert in june last year and were still postholing up to our waists in sections. make sure you are truly prepared if attempt an october climb.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

October is the start of winter in the high country in Colorado. Unless you honestly enjoy winter camping, I would not want to camp on a 14er that time of the year. Plus, well..quite frankly most summits do not have much room for camping.

I don't know what mountain Fiddlehead showed, but raw elevation is not always a good guide. Mt. Washington is only 6000' or so..and camping there in January can be interesting.

Finally..when in October are you going? Early October can be enjoyable (if cold at night) in some areas. Late October? You are rolling the dice. If you are not gungho for a 14er, I can suggest some great areas with good camping, star watching and hiking opportunities no matter what time the year.

Personally, I do not like backpacking by mid-October or so. Not enough snow for backcountry skiing, too much snow/cold for enjoyable backpacking. October is when I personally transition to foothills hiking until I can break my Nordic gear out in December sometime.

Just my .02 worth, anyway.
    Last edited by Mags; 07-09-2009 at 13:25.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    October is the start of winter in the high country in Colorado. Unless you honestly enjoy winter camping, I would not want to camp on a 14er that time of the year. Plus, well..quite frankly most summits do not have much room for camping.

I don't know what mountain Fiddlehead showed, but raw elevation is not always a good guide. Mt. Washington is only 6000' or so..and camping there in January can be interesting.

Finally..when in October are you going? Early October can be enjoyable (if cold at night) in some areas. Late October? You are rolling the dice. If you are not gungho for a 14er, I can suggest some great areas with good camping, star watching and hiking opportunities no matter what time the year.

Personally, I do not like backpacking by mid-October or so. Not enough snow for backcountry skiing, too much snow/cold for enjoyable backpacking. October is when I personally transition to foothills hiking until I can break my Nordic gear out in December sometime.

Just my .02 worth, anyway.
    Thanks for the info. Maybe now we will just try to summit a 14000 but not camp at the top. Having said that where is your favorite place to camp?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++