WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap in 4 days?

So, my gf and I are planning a hike for Labor Day Week/end. We were planning a 5 day hike starting at Amicalola and finishing at Neels Gap. We have decided to extend our hiking days to 9 days.
    We will still start at Amicalola and are planning on hitting Black Gap Shelter or Springer Mtn Shelter on day 1, day 2 to Hawk Mtn Shelter, day 3 to Gooch Mtn Shelter, and day 4 to Wood Hole Shelter. On day 5 we will stop at Neels Gap and shower, wash up our hiking clothes, restock our food supplies and maybe pick up some more gear. We would like to take a minute to look around at some of the gear and talk with some people, grab something to eat and then get back on the trail and make it to Bull Gap and stay at the campground on the 5th night. Question about the campground (Bull Gap Campground), is this a campground where we would have to make reservations or pay? If so we were thinking about maybe stealth camping somewhere round abouts here. (Is that legal?)
    From there were not sure. I would really love to make it to the GA/NC border but I dont think we want to push that much. I was wondering about this: day 6 to Low Gap Shelter, day 7 to Rocky MTN Campground (and if so is this another reservation/pay site, or how about the stealth camping?) and on day 8 to Deep Gap Shelter. On day 9 we would need to catch a ride back to Amicalola, so we were thinking about hitting Dicks Creek Gap to catch that ride on day 9. Of course this leg (from Neels Gap on) is not finalized, we are asking for some input on this part of the trail!
    We were thinking we could set up a ride for our end destination while we were at Walasi-Yi on day 5. Would that be an ok time frame to try to set up a ride, or should we begin our search before this time?
    Thanks for any info, we will gladly take all that is given!!

So heres a rough breakdown with daily mileages:
    (Based on 2009 Thru Hikers Companion)

Day 1: Amicalola to Springer Mtn Shelter: 9 miles
    Day 2: SMS to Hawk Mtn Shelter: 7.6 miles
    Day 3: HMS to Gooch Mtn Shelter: 7.3 miles
    Day 4: GMS to Woods Hole Shelter: 11.9 miles
    Day 5: WHS to Bull Gap Campground: 4.8 miles
    Day 6: BGC to Low Gap Shelter: 9.7 miles
    Day 7: LGS to Rocky Mtn Campground: 10.7 miles
    Day 8: RMC to Deep Gap Shelter: 11.8 miles
    Day 9: DGS to Dicks Creek Gap: 3.5 miles

This is a total of 76.3 miles over 9 days. Also we are newbie hikers. This will be our first real hike, other than day hikes we have done around our hometown.
    Any comments or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Images

Mileage is very doable tho I've not heard of the 2 campground you mentioned.

Enjoy your hike!

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Mileage is very doable tho I've not heard of the 2 campground you mentioned.

Enjoy your hike!

Sure you have! We hiked by one of them on the way to Wildcat. Bull Gap about 0.9 miles past Neel Gap on the left.

I don't remember the other one. I think it's on the mountain just past Unicoi Gap.
    I think he meant campsite instead of campground.
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    Question about the campground (Bull Gap Campground), is this a campground where we would have to make reservations or pay? If so we were thinking about maybe stealth camping somewhere round abouts here. (Is that legal?)
    No fee or reservations anywhere north of Amicalola FSP. At all. Bull Gap is just a wide spot in the trail, campsites on both sides. Nice enough area but if you want to push further there are other campsites available all along the way.
    From there were not sure. I would really love to make it to the GA/NC border but I dont think we want to push that much. I was wondering about this: day 6 to Low Gap Shelter, day 7 to Rocky MTN Campground (and if so is this another reservation/pay site, or how about the stealth camping?)
    Again no fees or reservations but it's easy enough to walk from Low Gap to Tray Mtn instead. The Rocky Mtn campsite is a shoulder of the mountain about 50'ish yards past a small spring that you'll have to step across during the climb up Rocky.
    and on day 8 to Deep Gap Shelter. On day 9 we would need to catch a ride back to Amicalola, so we were thinking about hitting Dicks Creek Gap to catch that ride on day 9. Of course this leg (from Neels Gap on) is not finalized, we are asking for some input on this part of the trail!
    We were thinking we could set up a ride for our end destination while we were at Walasi-Yi on day 5. Would that be an ok time frame to try to set up a ride, or should we begin our search before this time?
    Give them a call ahead of time, before you leave for Amicalola. They would probably appreciate that more than if you just showed up asking for a shuttle.

Your plan looks fine but consider going from Low Gap to Tray Mtn, it's an easy trail leaving Low Gap Shelter most of the way to Blue Mtn. Once over Rocky take a break and see how you feel. The worst part of that day's hike will already be behind you. If you don't feel like going all the way to Tray then the Cheese Factory is another nice campsite with water further along the way.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    Sure you have! We hiked by one of them on the way to Wildcat. Bull Gap about 0.9 miles past Neel Gap on the left.

I don't remember the other one. I think it's on the mountain just past Unicoi Gap.
    I think he meant campsite instead of campground.
    Ok, "campground" threw me for a loop.

Images

My son and I camped at Bull Gap two weeks ago. It's just a sort of a clearing near the trail. There is no charge. We didn't encounter any campsites in Georgia that needed reservations or charged, although if you get away from the trail you might find some that do.

As for setting up a ride, you can probably find Cool Breeze at Neels Gap and set up something with him.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Since this is your first hike, and you're a couple, I'd suggest you'd consider staying a night at the cabins at neels gap (unless you have a tight budget). It'd be a nice break.

Sorry guys about the "campground" as I did mean campsite. And I noticed that the elevation changes (again according to the 09 Thru Hikers Companion) werent real drastic past Neels Gap, except for a few places (not implying its a walk in the park either though!).
    I would really like to end our hike at Muskrat Creek Shelter in NC, but I dont want to set my mileage high and not get to enjoy the hike, or hurt myself, or my gf, thinking that we have to be this far by this time. This is a big reason that I was wanting to wait and try to set up a pick up at Walasi-Yi. At least by this time we would have an idea of the kind of mileage we may be able to accomplish and be able to come up with a more definate pick up spot. I would be afraid that I would set up a point and then either miss it or feel that I had to drag it out to make the meeting. (That make sense?)
    Also, we were wondering about bear activities in GA. We were planning on staying near the shelters instead of in them but have read that sometimes bears are more active around shelters since thats kind of a known spot for "food." Would it be "safer" to actually not stay near a shelter, but instead just at random campsites?
    Oh, and bear spray, I think we will be getting some, but how necessary is it???......
    We have talked about staying in a lodge or cabin along the way, but I am really wanting to stay in the tent as much as possible. We were planning on spending some time at Walasi-Yi to "freshen" up. Take showers and wash our hiking clothes and what not....but we will see!!
    And how about campfires? Are they typical along the AT, in this part?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I really do appreciate all the replys so far, so please keep them coming!!!!
    Thanks

Images

"safe" is relative - if you're camping near the shelters and hanging your food on the bear cables, I wouldn't worry about bears.

bear spray - I brought it on my last trip (wife insisted, and was with my son)...regretted the weight all week. I won't again.

campfires - another advantage of staying near the shelters - there's always a fire ring, and fires are "typical."

enjoy your hike!

Sorry guys about the "campground" as I did mean campsite. And I noticed that the elevation changes (again according to the 09 Thru Hikers Companion) werent real drastic past Neels Gap, except for a few places (not implying its a walk in the park either though!).
    I would really like to end our hike at Muskrat Creek Shelter in NC, but I dont want to set my mileage high and not get to enjoy the hike, or hurt myself, or my gf, thinking that we have to be this far by this time. This is a big reason that I was wanting to wait and try to set up a pick up at Walasi-Yi. At least by this time we would have an idea of the kind of mileage we may be able to accomplish and be able to come up with a more definate pick up spot. I would be afraid that I would set up a point and then either miss it or feel that I had to drag it out to make the meeting. (That make sense?)
    Also, we were wondering about bear activities in GA. We were planning on staying near the shelters instead of in them but have read that sometimes bears are more active around shelters since thats kind of a known spot for "food." Would it be "safer" to actually not stay near a shelter, but instead just at random campsites?
    Oh, and bear spray, I think we will be getting some, but how necessary is it???......
    We have talked about staying in a lodge or cabin along the way, but I am really wanting to stay in the tent as much as possible. We were planning on spending some time at Walasi-Yi to "freshen" up. Take showers and wash our hiking clothes and what not....but we will see!!
    And how about campfires? Are they typical along the AT, in this part?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I really do appreciate all the replys so far, so please keep them coming!!!!
    Thanks
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

We will definately be hanging our food!! And an other smellables. We were actually planning on hanging our packs as well. Is that acceptable, or even recommended?

I am very familiar with the area you are planning to hike. As "newbies" I think you may be stretching it a bit. I would need to know how heavy your packs are, and how good your backpacking skills are to be certain, but I can say that the elevation gains you will be hiking are strenuous at times for new hikers.

I would suggest that you not hike the Amicalola approach trail but start instead at Springer's parking lot off the Forest Service Road 42. That is one elevation that you could do without. From the parking lot, you would hike to the top of Springer (sans pack even, as it's about a mile), do your photo op, then come back to the parking lot and begin your way to Hawk Mountain, passing the Springer shelter as it's just a short hike in from there.

Making your packs as light as you can, but taking a tent is a good idea as there won't be any "lodges" for you - just shelters. There are numerous campsites along the way if you feel you just cannot make it to the shelter, but the shelters are generally close enough to get from one to the next.

Another suggestion for you is that you take the phone number for the Hiker Hostel, located in Dahlonega, GA. It is 770/312-7342. Leigh and Josh Saint are the owners of this hiker's heaven, and they will pick you up and deliver you to wherever you need to be taken should you need to cut your trip short, take a shower, re-supply food, etc. They know the trail in the area and will be able to meet you anywhere along the route. Their charges are reasonable, and you could talk to them prior to your departure.

Bear spray will not be necessary. The bears are typically afraid of you and will run when they see you. That being said, don't be stupid and approach one of them. If you see one, back away slowly, make noise, etc., and stay away from mamma bears with cubs. Do not sleep with food in your tent, and use the bear cables where they are provided. There is one at Springer's shelter.

Campfires are done only in the fire rings at the shelters, and if there isn't a fire ring established where you camp, please don't make a new one. Trail maintainers will not love you for making new ones that they have to clean up. Fires are sometimes nice, but you don't have to make one. . . cook on your stove and save the energy for hiking the next day. You're going to be tired. Why trot around gathering firewood?

Sorry. . . didn't mean to get longwinded.

Hope you have a wonderful time, but do take phone numbers of Hiker Hostel and Walasi-Yi, as they do shuttle service, and you may need it.

Trailweaver, I dont have scales to weigh our packs and even still, we are still getting a few of our things so its hard to say right now. I am shooting for 35-40 for myself and 25 for my gf, if that helps. (I am 5'11", 200#s and my gf is 5'1" 95#s.) As far as our skills, we havent been hiking in the kind of conditions that is described as this portion of the AT, however we are out and about as much as possbile. So while we arent experts, we are pretty familiar with toting our packs around and with the equipment we do have.
    And I really want to start at Amicalola, Im not sure why, it just seems right to me to do so. Even though its not part of the "AT" somehow it seems it is to me and I would be missing out on the first of it. I am going to be one of those picky people that want to begin and end pretty much at exact points, so well see....
    And yes, we really have no desire to stay in a shelter, lodge or cabin, unless we have to. I would like to stay in my tent every chance that is available! Besides thats why I bought it, and why Im carrying it!! It only makes sense.
    Thank you for the phone numbers. I have already contacted Josh and Leigh for a ride from Neels Gap but now our schedule has changed so I may plan on calling them closer to time and talking with them. Like I said, the hardest part is gong to be a pick up spot, I dont want to push it and get hurt, and we definately want to enjoy being out there!! But I will definately put this number and the number for Walasi-Yi in my phonebook.
    As far as bears, I couldnt imagine why anyone would want to walk up to one!!! Thats crazy, but at the same time, you can never know about bears. They are animals, the same as dogs, and I have been around many friendly dogs that have bitten people, so you just never know. I would rather know that I had some sort of protection and not needed it than the other way around! I have been reading up on bears as much as I can on the internet and thinking of ordering some books to read before hand to. Bears are serious, I want to come out of the woods alive, so I will definately treat them seriously!
    And as far as fires, I love a fire, it makes the night, but I agree with you, I wouldnt want to fun around finding wood, then staying up all night to make sure its out then cleaning it up in the mornings to stay with the LNT guidelines. Also, have you tried to sleep while others are around a campfire? I cant hardly do it, the talking, laughing, and the flickering lights! Dont get me wrong, thats good times, but not when you are trying to sleep, which is another reason that I would not prefer to stay at a shelter. However, those bear cables.....
    Anyway, thanks for all the good info! We are looking forward to being out there on the trail!!

Get some bathroom scales, weigh yourself, then your "loaded" pack. You should not have more than 25% of your body weight be your pack weight. Shoot for less than 40 lbs.

Don't worry too much about the bears. These are black bears, and they are afraid of people. The Smokey Mountain bears have become accustomed to people and are different - a little more "brave" about approaching people. The bears near Springer are going to run away when they see you. I did (accidentally) walk right up on one which was just beside the trail around Dick's Creek and when it saw me, it sprinted away.

If you start hiking at Springer and hike north, just hike as far as you can and then call the Hiker Hostel . . . they'll come get you wherever you are. That way you really won't have to worry about where you will "come out." Obviously, you'll want to plan your food for however many days you think it will take, but if you run out, again, the HH will fix that - take you into town if you need a re-supply. They are really that good. And. . . for a night in comfortable surroundings, they do have a queen-sized bed/room available. Have you gone on their website?

Images

My son and I went SOBO from Dicks Creek to Neel in 3 days. We travel lite. I would suggest SOBO because its easier to get picked up at Amicalola than at Dicks Creek. Amicalola has phones, and other amminities. Dicks Creek is a wide spot in the middle of nowhere. If you are going to use a shuttle I would park at Amicalola, and get shuttled to Dicks Creek, and hike SOBO back to your car.

Nine days is plenty of time to do this hike.
    You will probably not have a problem with the bears. They are truely skittish creatures and they do avoid humans.
    Be advised there is a camp-fire ban through the Blood Mt wilderness area.
    Blisters are the main reason folks get off the trail early in Ga., so toughen up those feet and have good footware.
    I live in the area and will offer any assistance (town ride, resupply, first aid. etc.) Send a PM for phone # if you desire.
    Have a good hike and welcome to Georgia
    Moses

During late summer, the number one "danger" is not the black bear.It is the lowly yellow jacket. They get a little aggressive that time of year.
    Moses

Bloodnountainman, thanks for the warning about the yellow jackets, I would have not expected those! And I know how mean they can be! Was one of my worst child hood expierences, stirring up a nest of those things....it didnt turn out good!! I wonder though, we will be using permethrin treated clothes and Ultrathon lotion on exposed body parts, so will these deterents help with the yellow jackets?
    And yes, boots.....I still have to get mine. I have been walking in my regular tennies in the mornings with 50 #s of dirt in my bag tring to get conditioned for carrying the bag. But yes, I am going to get my boots this coming weekend and start breaking them in. I am torn between the Vasque Breezes GTX, the Merrell Moab Ventilators GTX, and a pair of Timberland Chocura GTX. Question though, my gf really wants to get a pair of the Merrell Moab Ventialtors in a low cut. I advised no, but what does everyone else think?
    And yes I am going to pick up a bathroom scale and do the weighing trick, but we also plan on getting another weight before we leave Amicalola on thier scales!
    Jessie, I havent really put alot of thought into the SOBO hike, for some reason I think I would get more enjoyment going NOBO, I dont know, I guess I would feel like I was still moving away from everyday life, and coming back south feels like coming back home. Wierd huh? We will discuss this option more though, thanks for the idea!
    Trailweaver, that would be great if we do go NOBO and are able to give Josh and Leigh a call when we finish up on Saturday. The hardest part for me right now is trying to figure out a for sure ending place. I am planning on calling them sometime in the next few weeks to discuss my situation with them and see what works out from there. Bloodmountainman, I may get back with you on a ride if for some reason the ther doesnt work out. I will keep checking back on this forum and get back with you when time gets alittle closer. Thank you for the offer though.
    As far as food, we know that it will be a 9 day hike (if all goes as planned, or at least close to plan, you know....) so we will restock for 4 days worth of food at Walasi -Yi. However agian here it would be nice to know that the HH would be able to be available if needed.
    Another question, cell phone service. I have mine with CellularSouth (not sure how big they are but I think its a "Southern" thing. My gfs is with AT&T. Is anyone familiar with the coverage of wither of these two companys along this part of the trail?
    Again, thanks for everything! Please keep it coming!!

Images

I use an AT&T phone and I can usually get good coverage on peaks with it.

Images

There is nothing wrong with your original plan, it is definitely do-able, even for newbie hikers. Don't be afraid of bears. Enjoy yourselves.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Images

thats an awesome hike! the wife and i hiked from amicolola falls to neels gap over the july fourth weekend! the folks at mountain crossings are amazing! hyoh! have fun and be safe!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++