WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I've never done a multi-day hike alone. I've always wanted to just so I can be left alone, but my family thinks its foolish.

Images

I hike alone mostly but enjoy meeting people on the trail and walking some with them. Or just chatting at a rest break.

I'm Lone Wolf. I hike alone

Spending time alone with yourself is a great gift.
    Most people never go a day w/o interaction with other people.
    Spend enough time w/o distractions and things become more clear. Things like who you are, why you are, why they are. Things that a lot of people never figure out.

I would prefer to hike alone. However, to keep the peace in my marriage, I take my son. He's a 15yo Boy Scout, very much like me and great fun to be around. We don't tell my husband that my son hikes much faster than I do, so we start and end together, but spend much of our days solo hiking. We tent together, eat and 'plan' the next day together but walk our own walks. Kind of the best of both worlds.
    My husband is a huge horror movie fan and 'knows' I will be raped, murdered, dismembered and fed to tourists at a roadside stand.
    Dee
    healthymom

when not accompanied by the lady friend, who also loves to hike when time is permitting, i enjoy the ends to the days...
    love the feeling of a peaceful resolution to the day w/o having to listen to others around me...

I do both. If I go with someone it's usually my girlfriend who's still new to it so it's fun as she experiences things for the first time. When I go alone it's for me. It's wonderful to get out there, sit by a fire, read a book or just clear the head. Once you do it once you'll look forward to doing it again.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I often hike alone. Sometimes by choice, I hike slow and sometimes I can't find anyone dumb enough to go hiking. My wife hates it when I go alone. She worries I'll die and no one will tell her. I say, trust me, in about a week everyone will know.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    do you prefer to be by yourself?

I like to hike w/ my husband, or Dad, when they are free, but I have no problem hiking w/ just the dog- actually even really like to be by myself once in a while. I also can't stand camping near other people, and would never want to stay in a shelter w/ people I don't know- too crowded!- I camp to get away it from it all,and enjoy nature. I'll say hi, and make quick small talk w/ someone on the trail, but I don't want to have long conversations w/ anyone else except who I'm hiking with.

Ran into a little bit of trouble hiking alone in the Smokies. A couple of guys carried in some home made (moonshine) alcohol that was a little strong but the arguing stopped when the blood alcohol content was high. They finally passed out and I left early in the morning. Fortunately they were only hiking in few miles for the weekend and returning home.

Images

On my last section in May I hiked alone in the rain for days only speaking to fellow hikers in passing.
    Hiking alone is a time for introspection , re-examing all aspects of life. You can't do that as much while hiking with a buddy .

By day 3 , the human psyche is satisfied and the gregarious side wants human interaction.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

When hiking alone, I can "go with the flow." If human interaction presents itself, and the company and conversation agrees with my values, then I warm to it, embrace it, and participate in it. If it doesn't agree, then I withdraw to my camp site. If human interaction doesn't present itself, then I enjoy myself! I'm comfortable being alone.

Images

I agree totally Summit. I met an older gentleman in his 60's at a shelter and we hit it off immediately.
    He had so many years of hiking experience ( like yourself) and stories of places that I can only dream of visiting.
    Quiet guy and very unassuming.

I enjoyed his company.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

On the AT it can be difficult. I've never been when I didn't see others.
    You can reduce your encounters if you wait till before or after the peak and go during the week.
    I enjoy going alone.
    For solitude there are trails less traveled.

Images

I like both--hiking alone and with a partner or group. I have done many overnights and several 3-day trips alone along the AT/LT. I cut a 2-week solo trip short, part of the reason was because I was completely lonely and bored! I didn't meet many people, and those I did meet were going slower, faster, or the wrong way!

I don't worry about safety too much--you can refer to other forums for that topic. The usual--make noise in overgrown areas when you are walking into a headwind in bear country, pretend you are with someone if you meet any wackos, be prepared to move on, etc.

I tend to hike alone out of convenience for some of the same reasons others listed--lack of suitable hiking partners of similar ability/speed/schedule, etc.

My husband does not like to hike except for short day hikes, but he is happy to shuttle me wherever my little heart desires.

Sometimes I hike for the solitude, sometimes for enjoyment of the outdoors and nature, and sometimes I hike just to appreciate what I have at home. A 25 mile overnight trip on a diet of gorp and fruit snacks makes pizza, beer, and a night in with the spouse that much more special!
    "Dreamt last night I was climbing mountains
    Way beyond love’s fierce hold..."

Georgia Mountain Boy

I hike without partners all the time, including multi-day backpacking trips. You will not be alone on the AT, however. There are always folks headed the opposite direction, and occasionally you will pass or be passed by folks headed your direction.

Safety is a relative term, and I think the AT is safe. The only animal encounters that concern me are with human beings. I cannot always discern their motives. That being said, I've hiked for forty years and never had a bad encounter with a person. Spooky encounters, sure, and I've met folks that gave me the creeps, but that's when you say, "Gotta go," and move along.

Hiking without a partner also means you must take special care to avoid falls, burns, getting lost, running out of water, and other brain-dead screwups where a buddy would make a big difference.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by unclehud View Post
    Hiking without a partner also means you must take special care to avoid falls, burns, getting lost, running out of water, and other brain-dead screwups where a buddy would make a big difference.
    This is another reasion I hike alone. I am often in need of improving my 'mindfulness' for lack of a better term. If I hike alone, especially in winter, I am forced to be mindful or I'll die of hypothermia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Liar
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...cutoffdate=-1]

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    that was just some broad i met up there

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++