WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dennis Cove to 19E

I'm leading a day hike from Dennis Cove to 19E, passing Moreland Gap and Mountaineeer Shelters & Jones Falls. Sherpa Guide website says 19.4 miles. AT Distance Calculator site says over 24 miles. My hikers won't be happy if I tell them it's 20 and its really 25. Any help?

The Official A.T. Data Book and the ALDHA Data Book list the mileage for this section as being 24.4 miles.

Plan on 25 miles

If you can make it 2 days. Mountaineer shelter is a good 1/2 way point, sleeps 16 or 17 and has a great water source. Just 1 thing. If anyone has to take a dump walk back up to the trail and then far into the woods. Not much of a shelter fan but as far as shelters go that is a nice one and I'd hate to see it turn into a dumping ground.

Many thanks. I'll likely shorten the hike by starting at Buck Mountain Baptist Church and heading N to Dennis Cove.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BabySue View Post
    Many thanks. I'll likely shorten the hike by starting at Buck Mountain Baptist Church and heading N to Dennis Cove.
    The Sherpa Guide is using data nearly a decade old. A big part of that section was relocated around 2000 or 2001 to avoid the "dog walk", a 1/4 mile section where locals let their large dogs roam free to intimidate hikers.

Just curious if you've done Carver's gap to 19E already because it is a MUCH more scenic area.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Note that the relocation between the Baptist Church and Moreland Gap Shelter is very easy, winding through rhododendron thickets in relatively flat terrain. Even so, cranking out a 20-mile dayhike for folks who may not be in hiking shape makes for a long day.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++