WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    welcome to whiteblaze. i like rangeley ME.(not included in MARTA'S list)as a resupply stop,big grocery store and sarges pub for a good burger and chef salad! with all do respect to MODIYOOCH. Gorham NH.(from us#2 rattle river) to MT Washington is very doable in 2-3 days. no more than 5 days for sure!
    I wasn't sure about Mt Madison. It was tough enough going nobo. What's it like sobo??
    Then, I think it would be cheaper and logistically smarter to take the extra day to hike down to crawford. pinkham to gorham took use 2.25 days in hellacious rain. crawford to pinkham took us 2.25 days due to snow and gale winds; not to mention "hitting the wall".

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    Ipinkham to gorham took use 2.25 days in hellacious rain. crawford to pinkham took us 2.25 days due to snow and gale winds; not to mention "hitting the wall".
    Same data with us, and we were conditioned thru hikers.

I would not push this section, esp if weather goes wild. Give yourself extra time. BUT I will say, if the weather is good, try to do what you are able.

Sure as shootin, the climb up Madison will probably be a bear and probably take a good chunk of a day right there.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

[quote=modiyooch;867412]I wasn't sure about Mt Madison. It was tough enough going nobo. What's it like sobo??.....quote]

My section-hiking of the White Mountains occurred in the early 80s when I was obviously younger but less-conditioned than I am today. Anyway, I hiked up Madison twice with full pack (4 days worth of food) and as I recall, it was steady and steep but I did OK.

Keep in mind that by the time nca777 reaches Pinkham, he'd be quite trail hardy after having hiked all of Maine plus the Wildcats. I don't think Madison will be any more stressful than - fro example - hiking up the north slope of Avery Peak from Safford Notch - I recall the descent there left me frazzled.

I climbed Madison when I was 12 or 13 with my two friends. My parents dropped us off at the trailhead and off we went. I remember it was grueling. One of my friends stayed back at the first or second col on the ridge as my other frind and I pushed to the summit.

I rememeber the great gulf trail (?if thats what you take up no map in front of me) was steep. I'm not sure I could handle the whites after the maine trek, but we'll see.

Anyone traveling north to baxter I can hitch a ride with from Portland around the 28th ??

I'm stumped on travel plans as the fam there has 'stuff' going on.
    all work and no play makes nick a dull boy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++