I'm contemplating a go at the AT from Katahdin to about Mahoosuc Notch or as far as I can go in three to four weeks. Ideally, I'd like to do Katahdin to Washington, but I think this is highly unrealistic in the amount of time I have alotted both in planning and actual hiking.

Admittedly, this plan was hatched on a bit of a whim in the last coupl of weeks, though I don't tthink it's necessarily unfeasible given my physical condition and relative familiarity with the area.

I'd really appreciate any tips for this area, this time of year as far as gear, weather, terrain, food, etc, etc..

About me:

I'm a recent college graduate relishing in the most free time I've had in a decade and the Denver sunshine.

I'm a moderately experienced hiker/climber spending most of my time over the last 7 years hiking, biking, rock climbing, swimming, or skiing on the weekends or during breaks.

I'm 28yo and feel I am in fair physical condition save a few pounds over ideal weight. I've camped solo along the Colorado Front Range and high peaks, but never more than two nights.

I grew up in Portland, Maine and spent a fair amount of time in the maine woods. I climbed Katahdin when I was 13, and Washington several times, as well as more moderate peaks in western and northern maine.

So...

I'm compiling information and would like to set off from the trailhead by August 1st, finishing the target portion near Old Speck/Mahoosuc Notch around the last week of August.

Should I plan on carrying much food or is there realtively frequent (every few days) re-supply stops/general stores in and near the wilderness? Will a 15 degree bag suffice? Has it stopped raining yet?

Whatever info you can supply or point to would be EXCELLENT!

Thanks!

Nick