Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has anyone else dealt with this?

I've decided that I'm going to hike the PCT starting next Spring. I've begun all the planning that goes into that. I've told everyone that I needed to, and figured out how I'm going to accomplish it without sinking myself financially.

Now, I've got a group of close family/friends trying to convince me not to do this.

My first instinct is to command them to relent, and try and be supportive, and if they can't do that at least shut up, but I'm curious how others have dealt with this kind of thing. I have a feeling that I'm not the only one to have dealt with this.

Images

The reason why is that they love you and they will not be able to get in contact with you at any given time. How old are you? If you are like 15 then maybe I could see what they are talking about. Maybe they want to go and you havent asked them so they are mad about it.

Images

Guy:

Much of the reason is that you're doing something that most people don't, and can't, fully understand, and not only that, they think (largely incorrectly) that is wildly dangerous, with all kinds of horror stories. So you're becoming "different" from them by wanting to do this, and that is somewhat threatening to them.

You can do some educational things with them to help them understand better that it is not wildly remote, that you have access to help, and that you are preparing for the risks in a prudent manner. Perhaps they can assist you in some ways, and perhaps if you show them maps and pictures of others doing it they will understand better.

Good luck...the PCT is a wonderful place!

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Slaves rarely like other slaves escaping, especially when there is clearly a hole in the fence and they realize only their own actions are holding them back. People do like believing outside factors are holding them back, as that way they can complain and then do nothing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Slaves rarely like other slaves escaping, especially when there is clearly a hole in the fence and they realize only their own actions are holding them back. People do like believing outside factors are holding them back, as that way they can complain and then do nothing.
    HMMMMM...... Have never thought about it like that...... Hey when your right, your right....

Snowhoe, nope not 15 years old. 38. I doubt that jealousy is the problem, but I guess it's something to consider.

Weasle, thanks for the advice. I'm going to take it to heart and try and alleve some of that concern as you're describing.

Bluejay, I detect a kernel of truth in what you say, but I seriously doubt calling people slaves will get anyone to come around on the matter. I think I'll keep my agreement with you to myself.

Also, I meant to pose this question in the PCT forum but I must have mistakenly clicked on the NCT logo. Sorry.

Images

personally just go for it!its your life,ky

Images

Life is Short ... way too short .. history of the universe 1000000000000000000000 gazillions of years .... you are nothing but a blip on the screen , the mold on the bread .. just do what you want as long as your not hurting someone else ..

Images

Guy, I go throught this all the time on solo trips and my parents are in their eighties. They voiced their concerns that something could happen to me putting my life in peril even if it is a million to one chance. No matter how old you get your still their child, presuming your parents or spouse are the ones putting the pressure on you. Here's how I was able to calm my parents fears, I got a SPOT and I send a relative a ok with a track so they know where I am. The one thing I would think about when they showed their concerned is that they love me. The SPOT does add weight but it is one weight penalty that I'm willing to pay just to give my loved ones piece of mind.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Guy,

I'm going through much the same thing with my friends and family concerning the AT. I pretty much told everyone that they can either be supportive, or shut up. It stands to reason that you're being "persuaded" not to do this because your family and friends care about you.

However, in 20 years, if you don't do this; how will you feel? There are several things I regret not doing when I was in my 20's. I let my body go, and stayed "safe" to appease those around me. Only now have I begun to realize what a mistake this has been. I've pretty much decided if folks can't support me, I really don't need them around anyway. Best of luck to you on the PCT, and happy hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I've decided that I'm going to hike the PCT starting next Spring. I've begun all the planning that goes into that. I've told everyone that I needed to, and figured out how I'm going to accomplish it without sinking myself financially.

Now, I've got a group of close family/friends trying to convince me not to do this.

My first instinct is to command them to relent, and try and be supportive, and if they can't do that at least shut up, but I'm curious how others have dealt with this kind of thing. I have a feeling that I'm not the only one to have dealt with this.
    A lot of people don't understand hiking if they haven't done it- simple as that. I told my family that I would be trhu hiking next february (as a 20 year old, solo female), and they all got nervous, when someone had the idea of consulting my uncle, who had thru hiked in the late 80's. Conversation went something like this: Granmother and mother- "Jon, Alice is convinced she wants to hike the WHOLE appalachian trail. {pause} Alone." Uncle Jon- "really, what day are you leaving?"

Images

PS- Take them hiking. They'll either love it, or hate it, but either way, they'll see that you won't die.

It seems like people want to keep everyone boxed up and when you break the norm it it provokes fear. I am very fortunate to have wife who doesn't mind me hitting the AT on occasion. Keep your plans and check one off the Bucket List.

You should be the one to shut up Guy, IMO. Give everyone one chance. Tell them you have made your decision and if they can not be supportive of you dreams and goals in life, it is best that you and they don't discuss them. Point out to them that thousands of other individuals of your age have the same dreams and goal. You might also point out that this endeavor at your age can have significant and lasting health benifits. Once your family and friends are convinced that you are going through with your thru, they will come around.

In the end, I know that I've already made my decision, and that I'm going to do it. The negativity coming from the fam only makes me want to do it even more (I didn't think that was even possible.) and nothing seems to get me doing something like someone telling me that I can't.

I've been seriously considering getting a SPOT device. This could just be one more reason to pull the trigger on that idea.

Images

Just buy a satallite phone.

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe View Post
    Just buy a satallite phone.
    I'm pretty sure that's out of my price range. Also, the thought of having one is repellent to me.

Images

hey guy , my mom freaks and tells me shes going to disown me everytime i got out on a long distance hike and then when i return shes like everyone is talking about your hike and how great that is and she has a huge smile on her face .. so mostly people get scared and stuff .. just be prepared the best you can and if you want to bring a spot
    its not a bad idea ..ive tracked people on them and it seems to work pretty well
    .. have a awesome hike !

As corny as it sounds, I can't tell you all how much I appreciate this support that I'm getting here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++