WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default How many times have you hiked the same trail.

I was just lying around pondering the thought while I watched the Appalachian Impressions DVD I just got. How may times have you hiked the same trail ? Have you done a thru Hike on the AT for example more than once or even twice and why. I honestly don't know if I would ever have the opportunity to do a thru Hike but was just curious if anyone has done it more than once or even have considered it. Just wondering.

No through hike but most of the Smokies twice and around my house I have hiked the same trails many times.

I have met an occasional hiker who has through hiked more than once.

Images

Well, I've hiked the same segment of the AT about six times (starting in Delaware Water Gap), but I haven't done my thru yet, but who knows- maybe next year I'll turn right back around and go south!

I assume you don't mean dayhikes or short hikes. I've hiked portions of the AT in Shenandoah NP many times.

I've hiked the Long Trail twice - sections 1977-81 and end-to-end in 2007. Re. the AT, I've hiked the 46 miles east from the Hudson River to Pawling twice - once in summer, once in fall - and the 70 miles of PA from Duncannon to Port Clinton twice - again, once in summer and once in fall.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've done the AT in Shenandoah twice - and possibly twice more this fall (if it worksout with those who want to go). I've done it SOBO and NOBO. Nice.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default 100 Mile Wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    I was just lying around pondering the thought while I watched the Appalachian Impressions DVD I just got. How may times have you hiked the same trail ? Have you done a thru Hike on the AT for example more than once or even twice and why. I honestly don't know if I would ever have the opportunity to do a thru Hike but was just curious if anyone has done it more than once or even have considered it. Just wondering.
    I have hiked all or part of the 100 Mile Wilderness each of the last six years, except last year. I will do it again next month.

My wife and I hike the Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon at least twice a year. We have already hiked it twice this year with a rim to rim to rim and are scheduled to hike it again this fall.

I have also done the Wonderland Trail multiple times. It is one of my favorites.
    Shutterbug

Images

I have done from Springer to NOC (or reverse) 3 times. I've done other sections of that numerous other times. I've done the "Standing Indian loop" (campground backcountry parking - Long Branch - AT - Kimsey Creek) more times than I can count. Just love that area, never get tired of it.

Years ago when stationed in Sacramento, California in the Air Force, I did most of the trails in Desolation Wilderness (PCT runs thru it) many times because it's an awesome area and close to Sacramento. Also found a great trailhead with several options to shoot off in different directions in the Trinity Alps west of Redding, CA and did several hikes in that same area over and over.

Images

I tried to get over in the MD section everyother weekend and hike something this fall I heading from Pen Mar to Duncannon PA tried a defferent direction
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

its just a day hike, but growing up i hiked to the top of table rock mtn in sc dozens of times. i used to trail run it in prep for our thru hike.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

i've hiked the AT from Springer to Damascus 10 times

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i've hiked the AT from Springer to Damascus 10 times
    So does that mean you get to Dot's and just can't get up from the bar stool to keep goin' north?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

As a long-time AT section hiker, I haven't repeated very much beyond a dozen or so miles in north Jersey and the southern portion of Vermont when I SOBO'd the LT. However, I do keep notes on some sections I'd like to revisit when I'm done with the AT and retire!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

AT twice. Different directions. Had much more fun the second time, was more relaxed, knew what I was doing and what to expect.

AT x2...can't wait for #3.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    AT x2...can't wait for #3.

geek
    Better get crackin' you old fart.

(Note: I'm catchin' up. I'll be your age in a little over a week). Take care.

Btw: I've hiked the AT/LT from the Ma/Vt. border to Rte 4 twice, and Rte. 4 to NH. twice (the second one was just to be with some new friends - that section's enough to drive anyone nuts - PUDS and few views).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

i've hike the same stretches many times.....never was it the same trail

Hmmm... I've hiked the South Plateau Loop trail in Monte Sano State Park, Huntsville, AL, around 4,000 times. Of course, I live two blocks away and it's my regular exercise trail. After all those times, last year, I managed to fall and break my top left rib off my sternum

Images

well thanks for all the interesting reads, The main reason for the question was like I said I was watching the Appalachian impression DVD and how everyone was happy to get off the trail well not everyone but i was curious if after you saw what you just went through would you do it again and to be honest I was hoping and glad to see how many times someone has hiked a trail. I know myself I am limited to were I can go to hike and will most likely backpack the same trail time and again.

Images

I've hiked some sections near my home several times (SNP mostly), but that's mostly because it's close by. I don't see myself hiking other parts more than once. I mean, if I'm ever lucky enough to finish the trail, there's lot's of other trails in the world and even fairly nearby me.

I'm a "can't wait to see what's around the next corner" fellow, so if I already know...it loses a little.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

I'm not one to read a book twice, or watch a movie twice.

Same with hiking EXCEPT:
    If i haven't done it in a lot of years
    or, If I haven't done it in that direction
    or, If i happen to be there and have the time
    or, if i really like someone and they want to hike it

That being said, I've hiked the AT 3 1/2 times (24 years between 1st and last), CDT twice, Annapurna circuit 3 times, Everest base camp trek 3 X,but all my other hiking has been once and done.

I have a lot of stuff that i'd like to do before going and repeating.

Although i would go hike the Pyrenees again, and the CDT and the PCT.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++