WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Maybe my posting was a bit too general. Maybe not ALL women on the trail are looking for it. BUT... Reality is that about the time the northbound hikers leave out of Damascus, a lot of the single women are starting to look for single men to pair up with. I dont believe that the ONLY reason is to have sex.

By that distance, you have started forming your hiking circles. Folks that hike the same pace as you, have common interests, and that you get along with. It is a co-ed circle. You are around the same individuals for many hours each day. Friendships blossom, you get comfortable around each other, and thing just naturally progress to the next step.

By that distance, a single hiker has eliminated most of the 'excess' pack weight that they started with. There isnt much more trimming that can be done without starting to trade out current gear with new, lighter gear. To reduce weight, you must think about sharing items with a hiking partner (one stove, one filter, one tent). A hiker could pair up with same gender, and this sometimes happens. More times than not though, hikers pair up with the opposite sex, so as to maximum the 'benefits' of a hiking partner.

And I agree with the comment about women on the trail being just like women everywhere. Actually people on the trail are like people everywhere. men are the hunters/providers, women are the gatherers/housekeepers. For this reason, you see the hiker women are looking for strong men to be able to carry as many of the luxuries as possible. Hiking men are looking for the cute ones that are good cooks.

And, just as with the real world, the women generally win out when the selection process is complete. It is about supply and demand. With 3-4 men for every woman hiker, the woman can be selective when choosing her hiking partner. Like the old saying goes... If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy. Strong guys willling to carry a pretty woman's gear come a dime a dozen on the trail. And dont think for a moment that single women on the trail arent aware of that very fact.

I've got to echo the sentiment that the numbers definitely do not favor the men out there. Don't hit the trail in lieu of a singles bar. In fact, your odds would very likely astronomically increase in a townie bar versus any trail. The hitch is, there's something special - potentially a little magical - about an evening under the stars.

And that is the story of how balds were created.
    Last edited by Alligator; 07-17-2009 at 08:44. Reason: Quoted post removed.

Images

Default Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Maybe my posting was a bit too general. Maybe not ALL women on the trail are looking for it. BUT... Reality is that about the time the northbound hikers leave out of Damascus, a lot of the single women are starting to look for single men to pair up with. I dont believe that the ONLY reason is to have sex.

By that distance, you have started forming your hiking circles. Folks that hike the same pace as you, have common interests, and that you get along with. It is a co-ed circle. You are around the same individuals for many hours each day. Friendships blossom, you get comfortable around each other, and thing just naturally progress to the next step.

By that distance, a single hiker has eliminated most of the 'excess' pack weight that they started with. There isnt much more trimming that can be done without starting to trade out current gear with new, lighter gear. To reduce weight, you must think about sharing items with a hiking partner (one stove, one filter, one tent). A hiker could pair up with same gender, and this sometimes happens. More times than not though, hikers pair up with the opposite sex, so as to maximum the 'benefits' of a hiking partner.

And I agree with the comment about women on the trail being just like women everywhere. Actually people on the trail are like people everywhere. men are the hunters/providers, women are the gatherers/housekeepers. For this reason, you see the hiker women are looking for strong men to be able to carry as many of the luxuries as possible. Hiking men are looking for the cute ones that are good cooks.

And, just as with the real world, the women generally win out when the selection process is complete. It is about supply and demand. With 3-4 men for every woman hiker, the woman can be selective when choosing her hiking partner. Like the old saying goes... If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy. Strong guys willling to carry a pretty woman's gear come a dime a dozen on the trail. And dont think for a moment that single women on the trail arent aware of that very fact.
    You CANNOT be serious. You should have stopped after the third paragraph. The rest is bull.
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Geezer

Actually people on the trail are like people everywhere. men are the hunters/providers, women are the gatherers/housekeepers. For this reason, you see the hiker women are looking for strong men to be able to carry as many of the luxuries as possible. Hiking men are looking for the cute ones that are good cooks.
    I'm hoping this is simply an attempt at humor that doesn't work. Otherwise, we're looking at 60+ years of social progress down the drain.
    Frosty

It's very strange when you are typically a not cute, quite average girl and are hiking the trail. You become very cute as the one young female amongst many males.
    It can be a good thing or a bad thing, but mostly obnoxious when you are just trying to hike your hike.

Well, I see I have ruffled some henfeathers.
    I just call it like I see it. If you were single and didnt partner up on your hike, then most of this my discussions wouldnt apply directly to you, but if you were out hiking, you probably observed similar situations that I describe.

It would be interesting to see if there are stats of number of single female thru hikers that are not/ had not been partnered by the time they got to Harpers Ferry. I dont think they have that question on the hiker form.

I dont see many (if any) of the females in a co-ed partnership carrying the heavier pack. Seldom does the man's pack weight drop significantly as a result of the partnership. I dont see many of the females setting up camp or getting the water. For the guy to commit to do all this, they generally expect something in return. This typically corelates to affectionate activities and/or cooking. If the woman isnt a good cook, and/or the man also picks up this task, then the partnership (at least from the man's perspective) is probably ALL about the sex.

What other hiking related activities are there that the woman is bringing to the partnership. If she isnt bringing something to the table, then what incentive does the man have for forming/continuing the partnership? Maybe what she brings are the 'in town' activities. Maybe she goes to the grocery and the laundrymat. Perhaps there is some financial benefit for the man? But wait.. I cant say either of those without ruffling some folks either, can I?

I guess it could be possible that the man does all this in return for a platonic relationship, but I dont think that could be stated as the norm. Even in 'the real world' that scenario wouldnt be the norm.

Since I dont discuss the intimate details of partnership arrangements with hikers, it is possible that I am missing something, but this is what I have observed. I dont believe Im the only one that observes this type of behavior.

I know, there are always examples that can be given to disprove any single statement listed above. I can think of examples where short term platonic hiking partnerships have been established. I cant recall off the top of my head hearing about any long term co-ed partnerships that fall in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
    It's very strange when you are typically a not cute, quite average girl and are hiking the trail. You become very cute as the one young female amongst many males.
    Saw this on poemhunter.com:
    by Richard Brautigan
    she tries to get things
    out of men
    that she can't get
    because she's not
    15% prettier
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

[quote=World-Wide;868112]
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    So, what's your position on AT lovin'?

Preferably "Doggy!" W-W
    i'm going to have to agree World-Wide on this one! woof! woof!

Quote Originally Posted by fancyfeet View Post
    You CANNOT be serious. You should have stopped after the third paragraph. The rest is bull.
    i was thinkin' the same

Storyteller
    Images

I just call it like I see it. If you were single and didnt partner up on your hike, then most of this my discussions wouldnt apply directly to you, but if you were out hiking, you probably observed similar situations that I describe.
    As the old saying goes: First stop digging.

It would be interesting to see if there are stats of number of single female thru hikers that are not/ had not been partnered by the time they got to Harpers Ferry. I dont think they have that question on the hiker form.
    That would be an interesting question. So to would be a question about the number of men who have partnered sexually and the number of women who have (leave the sheep out of it, though, please.) My guess would be the numbers would be pretty much similar to what they would be off the trail.

I dont see many (if any) of the females in a co-ed partnership carrying the heavier pack. Seldom does the man's pack weight drop significantly as a result of the partnership. I dont see many of the females setting up camp or getting the water. For the guy to commit to do all this, they generally expect something in return.
    That might be because the woman started with a lighter pack. Maybe they are smarter than us, or just lack the gadget/pack rat gene. As for sharing the camp work, that probably echoes what happens off the trail, too. Guys tend to go all out to woo women they are interested in. But that doesn't make it all about sex. The guy could just have an old-fashioned sense of being a gentleman. But I bet if you checked on couples who were together when they hit the trail, you'd find them sharing the chores pretty evenly.

This typically corelates to affectionate activities and/or cooking. If the woman isnt a good cook, and/or the man also picks up this task, then the partnership (at least from the man's perspective) is probably ALL about the sex.
    You'd have to whip up some pretty mean Ramen noodles and mashed potatoes for this to be the case.

What other hiking related activities are there that the woman is bringing to the partnership. If she isnt bringing something to the table, then what incentive does the man have for forming/continuing the partnership? Maybe what she brings are the 'in town' activities. Maybe she goes to the grocery and the laundrymat. Perhaps there is some financial benefit for the man? But wait.. I cant say either of those without ruffling some folks either, can I?

I guess it could be possible that the man does all this in return for a platonic relationship, but I dont think that could be stated as the norm. Even in 'the real world' that scenario wouldnt be the norm.
    You don't have many female friends, do you?

Since I dont discuss the intimate details of partnership arrangements with hikers, it is possible that I am missing something
    Gee, ya think?

all that time on the trail to contemplate life and this is the **** you come up with..

I dont see many (if any) of the females in a co-ed partnership carrying the heavier pack. Seldom does the man's pack weight drop significantly as a result of the partnership. I dont see many of the females setting up camp or getting the water. For the guy to commit to do all this, they generally expect something in return. This typically corelates to affectionate activities and/or cooking. If the woman isnt a good cook, and/or the man also picks up this task, then the partnership (at least from the man's perspective) is probably ALL about the sex.

Since I dont discuss the intimate details of partnership arrangements with hikers, it is possible that I am missing something, but this is what I have observed. I dont believe Im the only one that observes this type of behavior.

I know, there are always examples that can be given to disprove any single statement listed above. I can think of examples where short term platonic hiking partnerships have been established. I cant recall off the top of my head hearing about any long term co-ed partnerships that fall in that category.
    you're habitually single, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    all that time on the trail to contemplate life and this is the **** you come up with..
    Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    you're habitually single, aren't you?
    rhp in the house!

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

That has got to be THE most barzaar post I have ever read on here, LOL!!

Here's Jackson Browne singing about the most common type of sex on the trail;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbpL0BTBJPs
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Saw this on poemhunter.com:
    by Richard Brautigan
    she tries to get things
    out of men
    that she can't get
    because she's not
    15% prettier
    Brautigan committed suicide.
    (Nobody will ever know if a woman drove him to it.)

I dont see many (if any) of the females in a co-ed partnership carrying the heavier pack. Seldom does the man's pack weight drop significantly as a result of the partnership. I dont see many of the females setting up camp or getting the water.....Since I dont discuss the intimate details of partnership arrangements with hikers, it is possible that I am missing something, but this is what I have observed. I dont believe Im the only one that observes this type of behavior.
    I was sure you were kidding and am in shock that you were not.
    Clearly you have also ruffled some rooster feathers also. I'm well above Harpers Ferry and I see plenty single female thrus this time of the year every single year. Why on earth (again I know this is not your planet) would a female in or out of a partnership carry more weight than a male since even someone as backward as you must know they weigh less. Also why would a male's pack weight drop for any reason as a result of a partnership???? Yes it is possible you are missing something as you clearly have never met a human female let alone talked to one. I'd be willing to bet even other males from your planet have not made your "observations".

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Here's Jackson Browne singing about the most common type of sex on the trail;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbpL0BTBJPs
    And when the morning light comes streaming in, I get up and do it again.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

well I really enjoyed PA with lilhipo

I have to laugh. It is truely amazing how stupid sex makes people. It is a wonder that we ever have children at all. Madness. Sex drive is a form of madness!
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++