WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Hiker rescued from Mahoosuc Notch

Found on the excellent Hiking Hell blog

http://hikerhell.blogspot.com/2009/0...tumble-on.html

Interesting site, thanks wilco
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

2010 complete

Does anyone know how this guy is doing?

I am the fellow who took the fall. I'm in fair condition, now released from the hospital. Happy to discuss what went right and wrong in the hike. Still wracking my brain to try and identify anything I could have done differently to prevent it. Been hiking for 35 years, and was very well prepared in all aspects. Have hiked many rugged areas before, there was nothing really new for me, though the notch is just simply very cool. Sometimes it's just bad luck, but it's always worth reviewing.

At this point, I want to drop two huge compliments:

first to the two thru hikers (names escape me, I was hurtin' pretty bad) from Georgia who stopped to help. They were simply outstanding examples helpful compassionate AT hikers we all aim to be. They stayed with me the whole afternoon, provided their sleeping gear and hammock to arrest my hypothermia. It took resuce quite a while to arrive and the hiker's attention, ensuring I didn't go to sleep was most appreciated. I believe my companions have their names, but I want to ge this shout out now.

Second to the rescue crew, first arrived from Berlin FD and rescue and later from many other jurisdictions. They were hugely attentive, patient and kind. They were capable and competent. After it quickly became clear that a helicopter evac wasn't going to happen due to the terrain and lack of foliage opening for a Stokes basket, the hand-carry was brilliant, difficult and (for me due to vomiting) very slow and long.
    Berlin FD had a 4x4 ambulance which took me out over 10 miles of logging roads, no fun either.
    I will write more later,as fatigue sets in now. I aim to be back out on the trail as soon as possible, as I just love the woods. I'll remain as dilligent and cautious as I ever have been. I hope there is something to be learned here.

If you want to see the most authoritative article written, it is here:
    http://www.sunjournal.com/node/35994/

Thnks for listening. I am interested in your comments.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Glad you're okay. Sometimes no matter the planning and skill and how careful you are, things happen and injuries occur. Though I have to say , most of my injuries occured because I was hiking too fast for the terrain, conditions, etc.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by billski View Post
    They stayed with me the whole afternoon, provided their sleeping gear and hammock to arrest my hypothermia.
    I'd be most interested to hear how you became hypothermic (given it was the middle of July). What protection if any did you have to prevent hypothermia?

Also, two news reports said a helicopter wasn't available to transport you and that's why you ended up having to be transported by ambulance over 10 miles of bad road. That's significantly different than a helicopter being available but unable to participate in the rescue.

Was a helicopter available? Or just unable to assist given the situation? (I think this is important information for those choosing to hike in that area if they know in advance that the authorities are unprepared to mount a proper helicopter rescue.)

Glad you're OK. I was recently hiking in Glacier National Park and came very close to breaking my leg when I busted through some snow covered rocks, twisted and fell. (Thankfully, somehow my fall was arrested just shy of actually breaking my bone). It would have been a similarly difficult rescue, so I'm thankful I didn't require one.

i believe you can become hypothermic anytime of the year. i always carry my stocking when i go hiking. even in the summer!!! When i stop to take a break maybe with a soaked shirt, wind blowing up on a ridge it gets chilly sometimes. YOU lose most of your body heat thru your head! im glad he's ok.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
    I'd be most interested to hear how you became hypothermic (given it was the middle of July). What protection if any did you have to prevent hypothermia?
    hypothermia sets in when body temp hits 97-96*. the time of year has nothing to do with it and can be related to injuries and shock. even wrapping is blankets sometimes can not stop it if the body is losing its ability to heat itself.

billski, glad to hear your recovering. take care, get well and back on the trail.
    KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

The notch is a narrow gully littered with house-sized boulders through which the trail passes around and under a series of cool, wet and rocky caves.

"It is always 45 degrees to 50 degrees Fahrenheit in there, not the 70 degrees like it is here,"
    There has been a lot of cold wet weather in New England this summer. With temps in the 50s and heavy rain it's easy to get wet and hypothermic without a head injury.

It would be hard to protect yourself from hypothermia with a head injury even with ample gear. The other hikers may have kept the situation from getting worse by taking care of him till the rescue.

Billski, I hope you're better now. Everybody be careful out there.
    --Walter

Who were the thru hikers. They deserve a compliment here.

Default Hypothermia

Thanks to all for the good vibes. I sure do want to get back out, but healing is the first priority.

I'll take the issues one at a time, in separate messages, just 'cause it's a bit hard to focus.

Hypothermia
    After it became clear that I wasn't going to make it out on my own, the next option was to lay me down. It had rained the night before and the surrounding soil and moss was quite moist. Couple that with the entire Mahoosuc notch being boulders that hold the cold (sans the snow/ice visible all year), made for a wet, cold place to lay down. Even with rain jackets and space blankets underneath, it was very cold beneath me. I laid on the ground 1-2 hours. I began to shake pretty severely. They rubbed my limbs and it would help a bit.

The EMTs when arrived, noted that my face was white, so getting me off the ground was critical. One thru hiker had a hammock, they set that up and put a sleeping bag under, and put me into a second. Within less than 1/2 hour the color was back in my face. While they kept checking my pulse, it's interesting that nobody ever checked my temp till I got to the hospital.

Default Hikers

Quote Originally Posted by tenbeer View Post
    Who were the thru hikers. They deserve a compliment here.
    I will get their trail names (I hope) from my brother-in-law in the next day or two and let you all know.

Thanks to all for the good vibes. I sure do want to get back out, but healing is the first priority.

I'll take the issues one at a time, in separate messages, just 'cause it's a bit hard to focus.

Hypothermia
    After it became clear that I wasn't going to make it out on my own, the next option was to lay me down. It had rained the night before and the surrounding soil and moss was quite moist. Couple that with the entire Mahoosuc notch being boulders that hold the cold (sans the snow/ice visible all year), made for a wet, cold place to lay down. Even with rain jackets and space blankets underneath, it was very cold beneath me. I laid on the ground 1-2 hours. I began to shake pretty severely. They rubbed my limbs and it would help a bit.

The EMTs when arrived, noted that my face was white, so getting me off the ground was critical. One thru hiker had a hammock, they set that up and put a sleeping bag under, and put me into a second. Within less than 1/2 hour the color was back in my face. While they kept checking my pulse, it's interesting that nobody ever checked my temp till I got to the hospital.
    There was great concern I was going into shock, as I had all the symptoms.

There was great concern I was going into shock, as I had all the symptoms.
    The smartest thing I had in my pack was a winter wool ski cap. It proved essential.

Default Helicopter

Helicopters are scare in the region. However, the first thing the rescue crew did after assessing me and stabilizing me was to send scouts out for a viable location for a stokes basket pull. They could not find a viable place to drop a basket: The props from the plane, push down some serious air and make the surrounding trees bend, further minimizing the amount of clearance for a basket drop. It was determined that the only viable clearing, at the intersection of the Mahoosuc and Notch trails was only 20 x 30 feet, insufficient size due to props blowdown. It would have guaranteed the cables getting hung up in the trees.

If they had found a larger area, they would have requested a blackhawk helicopter from Maine National Guard. Instead, I got a 2-mile carry down trail. Luckily, NH F&G had a wheel to attach to the stokes, which all the rescue teams thought was the absolute best thing possible, and it was. It was no easy ride for me, as I was puking the whole way down, just making them more concerned about my viability. This was an #1 top notch team. We go out just before headlamps were needed. All the agencies that didn't have that wheel wanted one by the time we hit bottom.

Berlin has a 4x4 ambulance, which while essential, ain't no limo ride either. Puking the whole way, but it too was the right tool for the job.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts!

Images

So glad to hear you are ok. I know sometimes these crazy things can happen to the most seasoned hikers.

I was in the Notch early August last year and I was surprised to see several large chunks of ice way down beneath some of the boulders. I was with a group where in some areas we had to take our packs off and pass them thru or over the rocks to keep moving. I remember the chilling air coming up from below and calling out to everyone to keep moving because it was getting cold. The air temp was warm but not warm enough for me to stand and wait comfortably too long. I am also known as a polar bear because I NEVER get cold.

It's great to hear that there were many hikers there to help out in whatever way they can. That's a tough area to maneuver about.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Also, two news reports said a helicopter wasn't available to transport you and that's why you ended up having to be transported by ambulance over 10 miles of bad road. That's significantly different than a helicopter being available but unable to participate in the rescue.

Was a helicopter available? Or just unable to assist given the situation? (I think this is important information for those choosing to hike in that area if they know in advance that the authorities are unprepared to mount a proper helicopter rescue.)

Glad you're OK. I was recently hiking in Glacier National Park and came very close to breaking my leg when I busted through some snow covered rocks, twisted and fell. (Thankfully, somehow my fall was arrested just shy of actually breaking my bone). It would have been a similarly difficult rescue, so I'm thankful I didn't require one.
    OK, let me review this...you don't understand the how's and why's of hypothermia and you think that it is the authorities responsibility to supply helicoptor rescue to the public...maybe we do need those hiker safety courses required before allowing the public into wilderness areas!

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    OK, let me review this...you don't understand the how's and why's of hypothermia and you think that it is the authorities responsibility to supply helicoptor rescue to the public...maybe we do need those hiker safety courses required before allowing the public into wilderness areas!

geek
    Geek,

Thanks. I do understand the how's and why's of hypothermia, and asked the question so that the writer could give a first-hand account of how, in the middle of July, he became hypothermic nevertheless with all the gear at his disposal.

I asked about the helicopters because New Hampshire emergency services have a fleet of helicopters paid for by its taxpayers for use in rescues of just this type.

There is a concern, however, that they are undependable and not properly maintained. It's important to know this when hiking in that area, since it is quite easy to be highly trained and prepared for your hike, yet nevertheless encounter circumstances which require your rescue.

It is, without any doubt, the authorities' responsibility to be able to conduct a proper helicopter rescue of anyone hiking NH mountains. We train, equip and pay NH emergency officials to do precisely that, and if they can't perform the task, we need to find folks who can.

The more public attention which is brought onto NH authorities inability to conduct a proper helicopter rescue the better, in my view. The Golden Hour is breached when someone is required to be transported 10 miles over fire road via ambulance instead of properly med-evac'd out by helicopter.

(It's understandable they couldn't get a basket down to where this guy was laying, but unbelieveable that they couldn't get a chopper transport of a hypothermic patient with head injuries.)

I will get their trail names (I hope) from my brother-in-law in the next day or two and let you all know.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO THRU-HIKERS:

Steven Parrish (Root Beer Float)

Dave Evans (Trail Name not known)

Images

Thanks for sharing Billski, hope you are back on the trail soon....Hats off to the "Thru's".....And for a simple lesson learned that something as simple as a stocking cap can save a life. Wasnt gonna pack it on my coming up trip, but will be one of my essentials from now on.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++