WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Approach Trail

Former Admin

Default Approach Trail

Comments, opinions, experiences related to the Approach Trail

Default Is there a good topographic map of the Approach Trail (not the Park) anywhere online?

I haven't found one yet, but would like to find one. I know how to buy paper quadrangle topo maps; that's not my question.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

the first mile to the top of the falls is steep...I did that part SOBO..
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    I haven't found one yet, but would like to find one. I know how to buy paper quadrangle topo maps; that's not my question.
    Try this:
    http://www.n2backpacking.com/destina...A0%204_94D.htm

It's basically up with a bit of downhill on the north side of Frosty. Some ups are steeper than others.
    Last edited by Dances with Mice; 02-27-2005 at 18:52.

Slow and steady does the trick... AbeHikes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    the first mile to the top of the falls is steep...I did that part SOBO..
    Yes, it is. I did it downhill in the misty dark the weekend before Thanksgiving last year. Had my headlamp pointing straight down trying to find the next step...

Quote Originally Posted by dchastain
    Yes, it is. I did it downhill in the misty dark the weekend before Thanksgiving last year. Had my headlamp pointing straight down trying to find the next step...
    You'll find that you'll be able to see the trail better in foggy conditions holding your headlamp in your hand. It's the same thing as driving in the fog with your highbeams on, you can't see the road.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

GAME 2000
    Images

Sounds to me like you really want to know what his problem was... but were afraid to ask. I might have been too.

Seriously, we had some ferious winds in the southeast and they changed directions during the night. I about got blown off Big Frog Mtn in southern TN on the Benton MacKaye Trail last night but my approach was to pack up at first light to get off the mountain and out of the wind. You reckon he didn't know what to do in the wind... like trying to set up some second rate shelter in the wind instead of just hiking to a place that was out of the wind? I've seen some interesting things/people on the trails and you never know for sure what some folks have figured out.

Youngblood

Youngblood, I think you posted to the wrong thread. But I agree.

Slow and steady does the trick... AbeHikes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead
    You'll find that you'll be able to see the trail better in foggy conditions holding your headlamp in your hand. It's the same thing as driving in the fog with your highbeams on, you can't see the road.
    Much appreciated. I'll try that next time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith
    Try http://www.topozone.com. Search "Amicalola Falls," Springer Mountain," "Frosty Mountain," and put GA in as the state. It'll hook you up nicely.

Images

i nick named the approach trail the the departure trail.i parked my car at amicola falls,and was shuttled into north carolina to deep gap,less than a mile south of standing indian shelter,i hiked south from there to springer mt.i was offered a ride,from the parking lot near springer back to amicola falls,but opted to hike down the approach trail to amicola falls,so that was a departure trail for me.

neo

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    Youngblood, I think you posted to the wrong thread. But I agree.
    Yep... thanks I'll copy to where I meant to put it.

The first day on the trail, mixed emotions.

My wife and I did some of it last Friday. We got a really late start. There are 600 stair steps at the very beginning of the hike. That's before you even get out of the crowded, public area. I did not have a map with us and we just wanted to get out "in the woods". We crossed two FS roads, one was really close to the beginning, I'd guess in the second mile. The second FS road was probably another mile or two away, but by then it seemed like we had hiked for 40 miles. We are in decent shape but are beginner hikers. After the second FS road we hiked to the top of a very steep mountain and finally decided it was time to set up camp. We bit off a little more than we could chew and thank goodness we brought enough water that we didn't have to count on making it to Springer. We stopped somewhere in the middle of nowhere and camped overnight. It took us about four hours to get to where we were and only took us 2.25 hours to get back if that gives you an idea of the inclines vs. the declines when your NOBO. The good thing about the late start is that we only saw about 10 people on the trail. Surprisingly, we were not the latest starters as we passed several tents on our way back to the state park the next morning.
    We nursed sore calves and enjoyed the a/c and mattress the rest of the weekend. Think I'll pick an easier section next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Admin View Post
    Comments, opinions, experiences related to the Approach Trail
    Opinion: The Approach trail is the proper way to begin a NOBO thru-hike. Only pansies skip the Approach Trail.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Well said Monkeywrench sure the approach trail is steep and goes up hill for 8.8 miles pull your skirts up ladies and get-er done

Journal Entries
    Images

If you start a NOBO thru by skipping the approach trail you will probably skip a lot more of the trail on your hike. What's another 10 miles when you got over 2000 to hike.
    Grampie-N->2001

i've done the approach trail 3 times, each time is better. The dreaded staircase at the fall is a great warmup for the AT. First time I did the approach trail I was way out of shape, suffered leg cramps all the way up to Springer, it was August 2008, one of those fond hiking memories. A local shuttle driver, Wes Wisson, has quite a few great stories about wannabe thru hikers he has shuttled over the years.

oh yeah, there's a rest room and water at the top of the falls, plus the AFSP Lodge is just a short walk from the top. They have a great buffet too.

My journal from March 18, 2009:

Wednesday 3/18
    AT Miles = 2.8
    Other Miles = 8.8
    Total Miles = 11.6
    Today was a perfect day to start a thru-hike. After days and days of rain, today was warm and sunny with a bit of haze. After a hearty breakfast at the Hikers Hostel in Dahlonega, six hikers piled into the truck to be shuttled to the trail. Only two of us had chosen to hike the Approach Trail from Amicalola Falls State Park. The trail starts at the stone arch behind the Visitors Center, then follows the paved trail up along the falls, which includes seven hundred and something stairs. Whew!After I got out of the state park the trail turned quiet and lovely. It is quite different than New England, which I think of as mud, roots, and rocks. Here the trail was dry and smooth for easy walking. It was only the elevation gain that made the hiking hard.I left Amicalola Falls at about 10:20 and arrived at the summit of Springer Mountrain at 1:50, much faster than I expected. I hadn't yet picked a final goal for the day. I could have stopped at the Springer Mountrain Shelter just 0.2 miles from the summit, but with about 6 hours of daylight left it seemed that pushing on a little further made sense, so I continued on the 2.8 miles to here, Stover Creek Shelter.It's about 6:30 now. We've got blue skies and a gentle breeze, and the evening is starting to cool off. My hammock is hung out behind the shelter, and I think it is going to be wonderful sleeping weather tonight; fresh and chilly.There is a fire going started by one of the other hikers. There are a half dozen hikers in the shelter, a few in tents 50 yards away, and me in my hammock.The weather forecast I saw this morning before leaving the hostel called for a 30% chance of rain tomorrow, then sunny and warm for the rest of the week.While hiking today I was thinking that so far this feels like just another weekend hiking trip. I wonder how long it will be before it starts transitioning from a hiking trip into a life-style.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    Opinion: The Approach trail is the proper way to begin a NOBO thru-hike.
    opinion: no it's not. there is no "proper" way

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++