WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lunar Solo or Fly Creek UL 1?

I am looking for a tent for a thru-hike beginning in August and ending in December or January. Save your energy if you want to tell me this is stupid. I've already heard it. If you want to help me prepare for it then I would appreciate the help.

I am pretty set on using either the Six Moon Designs tent, Lunar solo or the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1. The flexibility in use with the Fly Creek UL 1 is enticing. But the low weight, simplicity, and slightly lower cost of the Lunar solo is an alternative. Opinions from the field or from hear say on both? Thoughts on either of these holding up in snow or should I look into another tent?

I am not familiar with the Fly Creek but am VERY well versed in the Lunar Solo.

You can't go wrong with the LS. It is a wonderful 1-person tent with plenty of room for your pack next to your hip. It is easy to set up, good ventilation, and VERY light. I would choose the heavier floor and go without a ground cloth. Some have reported the LS does well without a groundcloth with the lighter flooring.

As with ANY single-wall tent, you are going to have some condensation in certain weather conditions. Just wipe off the ceiling with a camp towel or bandanna.....not a big deal.

Snow: not the greatest tent. Snow will pile up on the back edges reducing ventilation. It may even sag on you a bit if you don't smack the ceiling to bounce off the snow as it accumulates. It is DEF not a 4-season tent but will get you by with moderate snows. Been there, done that.

The following pic is about as bad as I had seen my LS in the morning. I don't think I had tightened the straps before calling it a night. I was surprised at how it looked from the outside and you can how high the snow had accumulated before I bounced some of it off. Even then I was very content with my night's sleep.

Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'll also point you to the Lunar Solo, primarily for the weight/space advantages. I have the original version and love it. However, the Fly Creek is a pretty nice package for a double-wall tent, weighing in at only 30 ounces and enclosing 22 sq. ft.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Consider the Tarptent Scarp 1 with the option of extra poles for snow.

http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Default Lunar Solo or Fly Creek UL 1

You might want to take a look at the LIGHTHEART TENT also. It is a double wall tent and costs less/weighs less than either Solo or the Fly Creek.

http://www.lightheartgear.com

:banana gatewood cape

i have the catewood and order the bug net awsome i love this set up 1 lbs for both no need rain gear or pack cover or wind breaker

Quote Originally Posted by pepkbell711 View Post
    i have the catewood and order the bug net awsome i love this set up 1 lbs for both no need rain gear or pack cover or wind breaker

I've used my Lunar Solo in the winter and encountered heavy wet snow. I had the same experience as Chin Music, it sagged a bit but I stayed snug inside. And I fully agree with him about getting the heavier floor and not using a ground cloth.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'm very happy with my LSe. I would like to get some of those rubber snubbers for the guy outs, just so it stays tight when it gets wet. It held up fine in some hail at 11,800' in New Mexico last week, just needed re-tightening when it got wet.

Images

Another vote for the Lunar. Great shelter, lots of room, but does require some practice getting the pitch correct.

Actually some of the other options look pretty good. The only thing that would concern me about the Fly Creek is it looks kinda small to me. I'm used to being able to get my sleeping bag laid out, and getting my dog and gear out of the rain while I cook in the vestibule.* Not sure that's gonna work with the Fly Creek.

* Yes, I know, I hike with a dog and cook in my vestibule if it's raining or I'm too lazy to get out of my tent when making coffee in the morning. I've also been know to use trekking poles, carry a cell phone, not filter my water on occasion, take blue blazes, etc. I'm a bad, bad hiker and totally beyond redemption.

Images

The Fly Creek is smaller and heavier. However, the Lunar is single walled and more prone to condensation issues. It also requires a trekking pole (the optional ones are not particularly good).

If that matters.

In the end you should decide on the tent that you can see yourself using, not necessarily the lightest, most recommended or whatever.
    Some points (as I see it)
    Shelters like the Lunar Solo are particularly efficient if you use trekking poles (one will do..) and take the time to learn how to set them up. Some do so intuitively, others never get it. Hence the discrepancy on the reports.
    Once you "get it" you have a shelter that you can pitch high or low and with a pretty nice vestibule.
    My take on these kind of designs is that you need a really strong pole for them (like a trekking pole) so that you can have them up nice and taut. The type sold by SMD/GG/TT are not what I consider "ideal" ( IMHO)
    The Fly Creek UL 1 , if you can fit comfortably inside it, is obviously easier for most to set up, but has a small vestibule (your boots/backpack will be in the way if you get up and night, if that bothers you) also not a dry set up (inner first) and no dry entry. Again that is personal.
    Neither would be ideal if more than a few inches of snow is expected.
    You could consider the Scarp 1 with the standard pole for most of the trek and add the cross poles towards the end. (but more expensive...)
    If freestanding but a more minimalistic (lighter/smaller) shelter is preferred, than the new TT Moment with the optional longitudinal cross pole could be considered.
    Yesterday a guy that had been looking at a few similar shelters (to each other , not these ones...) for several weeks, opted finally for one based on the fact that it has a yellow inner (Akto), and why not ?
    Franco
    BTW , making a floor plan (using masking tape or pegs/nails and ropes) and sitting inside that on top of your mat may help in giving you a better idea of the "feel" of a shelter...
    This is one I did for a guy that was thinking of a particular 3 person tent. he opted for another one...

Images

Franco is The Man when it comes to shelters! (at least, I'm pretty sure he's a man!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    * Yes, I know, I hike with a dog and cook in my vestibule if it's raining or I'm too lazy to get out of my tent when making coffee in the morning. I've also been know to use trekking poles, carry a cell phone, not filter my water on occasion, take blue blazes, etc. I'm a bad, bad hiker and totally beyond redemption.
    We already had you pegged, Two Speed, but now we can confidently categorize you.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    The Fly Creek is smaller and heavier. However, the Lunar is single walled and more prone to condensation issues. It also requires a trekking pole (the optional ones are not particularly good).

If that matters.
    Mmmmmnot completely accurate. SMD sells an Easton carbon gee-whiz thingy you can use in place of a trekking pole. Got one, like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    We already had you pegged, Two Speed, but now we can confidently categorize you.
    Love you long time, too.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post

If that matters.
    The main difference between a single walled and double walled tent is that you can't touch the condensation in a double walled tent. It's still there, unless the fly allows for good air flow.
    I'd look more at how much air flow you want and how important it is for you to control it. If it's windy and cold and you have mesh at ground level you can be pretty sure you'll be chilled. If you can close off the mesh you'll stay warmer (but at the expense of more condensation).
    There used to be "three season", "four season" and "convertible" tents in the double walled category. The "three season" tents often had lots of mesh, but no way to close it up, the "four season" tents often had limited mesh which made them unbearably hot in the summer, and the "convertible" tents often had more mesh than the "four season" and less than the "three season" and usually weren't that good at either extreme of cold or heat.
    My suggestion?
    Buy a bunch of tents, then buy a bunch of hammocks (just kidding).
    Do you sleep hot? Look for mesh.
    Do you sleep cold? Look for ways to close off the mesh.
    To me, it looks like the Big Agnes tent doesn't have enough mesh near the ground for a comfortable night in very warm conditions. When I want to sleep cool I want mesh close to ground level. Given the choices you've listed, I, personally, would look at the Lunar Solo E (in fact, I almost bought one), but my personal favorite, and probably the best all around tent I've seen lately (maybe ever) is the Lightheart tent (I saw it at Trail Days). Best solo tent for winter - Hilleberg Akto or any of its copycats.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Man.
    Sort of. Look at my pink mat...
    Apart from the dog bit, I could be Two Speed.. I wonder if he also uses a pee bottle .
    Franco

Images

Um, no, but I can use a pee bottle if it'll offend someone.

Images

I much prefer the Lunar Duo over the Solo
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I much prefer the Lunar Duo over the Solo
    I have a Lunar Solo, but if I were doing a thru I think I would prefer the Lunar Duo. For a bit over a pound more the space is amazing. No worries about condensation as you would have to be a total spaz to touch the ceiling by accident. With TWO vestibules the air ventilation is like sleeping without a tent.....much better in the heat of summer.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The main difference between a single walled and double walled tent is that you can't touch the condensation in a double walled tent. It's still there, unless the fly allows for good air flow.
    I'd look more at how much air flow you want and how important it is for you to control it. If it's windy and cold and you have mesh at ground level you can be pretty sure you'll be chilled. If you can close off the mesh you'll stay warmer (but at the expense of more condensation).
    There used to be "three season", "four season" and "convertible" tents in the double walled category. The "three season" tents often had lots of mesh, but no way to close it up, the "four season" tents often had limited mesh which made them unbearably hot in the summer, and the "convertible" tents often had more mesh than the "four season" and less than the "three season" and usually weren't that good at either extreme of cold or heat.
    My suggestion?
    Buy a bunch of tents, then buy a bunch of hammocks (just kidding).
    Do you sleep hot? Look for mesh.
    Do you sleep cold? Look for ways to close off the mesh.
    To me, it looks like the Big Agnes tent doesn't have enough mesh near the ground for a comfortable night in very warm conditions. When I want to sleep cool I want mesh close to ground level. Given the choices you've listed, I, personally, would look at the Lunar Solo E (in fact, I almost bought one), but my personal favorite, and probably the best all around tent I've seen lately (maybe ever) is the Lightheart tent (I saw it at Trail Days). Best solo tent for winter - Hilleberg Akto or any of its copycats.
    Oh brother. Okay I will reword. The Fly Creek will manage condensation better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++