Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

These foods are all dry and stable in a wide range of weather conditions.

Karen

Doug walsh's site was really good but it seemed like he ate a lot of supplements and pricey stuff (like his green drink with a green powder and carob) He was sponsored. Lots of you suggested sprouts, that's a great idea. I think Doug grew them too in a sprout bag, which would be lighter even than in a bottle. seeds don't weigh anything. At home I don't eat that much dehydrated stuff, although it's certainly out there in the raw world, and it seems like on the trail I want fluids, not dehydrated stuff???

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

I tried the baggie method for sprouts but sadly I am a little rough on my pack and such so I found the bottle worked better because I didn't end up with bruised shoots.

You need both fluids and energy foods. Cocao nibs are a great thing to add to your raw trail mix. Yum!

Images

Section hiker only here. I like the Mountain House green beans. I like a green veggie and sprouts to me are rabbit food. Just personal preferernce. No offense.
    But, in defiance of light weight, I take three oranges for a five day trip. They keep and there is nothing better than an orange after a hot long day.

I certainly understand the concern for how you will get liquids from your raw food trail diet. I'm not an expert on raw foods, but as I understand it, one of the big reasons people go on raw food diets is for the natural enzymes and plant fluids that this diet contains. I don't get the majority of my liquids on the trail from carrying a whole lot of fresh fruit and vegetables though. I'm an Ultra Lighter. I'll carry a fresh organic mango, avocado, some sprouts, spinach leaves, small onion or potato, garlic clove, carrot, maybe two small apples, etc., but I'm just not willing to carry large amounts of heavy fresh produce particularly if I'm going more than 5-6 days between resupplying. Like Walsh, I also carry high ORAC Unit dry green drinks like those from Green Utopia, Green Vibrance, Alive, Klamath blue green algae, Red and Blue Lightning, and Garden of Life that I mix with water. I much prefer getting the majority of my greens in this lighter wt. fashion. I have seen some green drinks that offer 140 cals. per oz. Remember, I try to get balance my trail food regimine with being an ULer. I'll also carry Emergency w/MSM that I mix with water, preferably spring water. But, Walsh also carried a lot more fresh produce than I'm willing to carry. And, my trail food diet does not need to be totally raw either. This is the compromised trail food diet that I currently use.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Google Doug Walsh.
    He's done the CDT and PCT on strictly raw food.
    Its a little hard to find so to help folk find it here you are....
    I don't see this catching on anytime soon.

http://www.rawhike.com/foodplan.shtml

http://www.rawguru.com/html/doug.html
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by kmusser View Post
    I eat a lot of raw foods at home (fresh fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds, smoothies, etc). I just got back from a section hike on the AT in Maine and just did Mountain house dehydrated meals for dinner, packaged oatmeal and hot chocolate for breakfast and gorp and bars for lunch. Did not have a BM the whole time I was gone. Next time I'd like to make my meals a little healthier. Does anyone incorporate foods from a raw diet on the trail? I'm a big fan of greens, but salads don't keep on the trail. Help!
    when its cooler i take real whole potatoes, bell peppers, dried pasta, and make little stews.

i bring a tube of pre cooked sausage that keeps well for the first day and second day, maybe half the second day if it is getting warm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++