WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Looking for input on the "Cool Breeze" flip flop

I asked this in another area. Re-posting here to see if I get more specific answers.

I'm planning to follow the Cool Breeze flip flop route when I thru hike in 2011.
    Here's the ATC write-up http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...tineraries.htm
    I will get on at the AT Train Station at Pawling, NY then walk to Troutville, VA. I'll jump to Katahdin then walk back to Pawling, and finish on the south end.

Who else has walked this route and what were your impressions?
    Weather? Water?
    What will shelter usage be like?
    What about other people? If I start mid- to late-May, I figure I'll be crossing paths with NOBOs late June and early July, and maybe again in late August. What about weekend crowds north of Roanoke in late June? Will general foot traffic have thinned out a lot in the Smokies by mid-September (other than weekends, of course)?

Folks have asked "Why this route? It'll be lonely." Actually, the solitude is one of the biggest attractions for me. I don't mean to say I'm not interested in connecting with other thru hikers at all; I figure there'll be some of that. And I'll get a dose of civilization pretty regularly. But I've never experienced a long period of time where I'm alone with my thoughts and am looking forward to that.

As to why two flips: I'll have excellent ground support from my wife, and the travel time will provide us opportunities to be together including meeting her in Shenandoah and celebrating July 4th with friends in DC.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Wow. I've met someone with their own official AT method.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++