WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default need a bag for maine in august.

anybody ever use a marmot driclime trails sleeping bag liner/summer bag. the new ones rate at 35 degrees or higher.(that was hard for me to believe)not much to them? i have a 2 year old one i was going to pack for maine next month. a good source said 50-55 degress at night with a chance for a couple nights near the 35 degree night possible. so what do you think freeze at night or be alright. im sort of a hot sleeper

Take a water bottle that will take hot water and put it in a sock or two. I've slept at 5 degrees in a 40 degree bag in a hammock (inside a hammock tent) with a hot water bottle tucked next to my torso. Wear extra socks and a good warm cap. I hiked the Hundred Mile Wilderness with the same bag and it never got below 40 degrees (second week in September) and at that it was only on the night before climbing Katahdin.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default sleeping bag

I have 2 questions: using a tent? or hammock? w/the hammock, using an under quilt or pad?
    I live here and I never go any warmer than a 30 deg. bag. It's cool to down right cold in the hundered mile area w/all the rain and wetness we're getting here daily. The ground has no chance to warm up so the thermal mass stays cold. Dampness will be your enemy...all day/all night. Watch the weather, hope for many sunny days. Prepare for wetness, bring warm clothes! Bring light weight thermal leggings and l/s thermal shirt for sleeping. Definitely want rain gear. ( you said you were hiking w/a 2 yr. old, I'm assuming your talking of the bag and not a child!)
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Take a water bottle that will take hot water and put it in a sock or two. I've slept at 5 degrees in a 40 degree bag in a hammock (inside a hammock tent) with a hot water bottle tucked next to my torso. Wear extra socks and a good warm cap. I hiked the Hundred Mile Wilderness with the same bag and it never got below 40 degrees (second week in September) and at that it was only on the night before climbing Katahdin.
    thanks ive done the hot water bottle trick, works great.it did slip my mind though.

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    I have 2 questions: using a tent? or hammock? w/the hammock, using an under quilt or pad?
    I live here and I never go any warmer than a 30 deg. bag. It's cool to down right cold in the hundered mile area w/all the rain and wetness we're getting here daily. The ground has no chance to warm up so the thermal mass stays cold. Dampness will be your enemy...all day/all night. Watch the weather, hope for many sunny days. Prepare for wetness, bring warm clothes! Bring light weight thermal leggings and l/s thermal shirt for sleeping. Definitely want rain gear. ( you said you were hiking w/a 2 yr. old, I'm assuming your talking of the bag and not a child!)
    a 2 yr old bag. i will be using my tent. my last thruhike(2003) i finished last day of july,i believe i had a 30 degree bag when i finished.(cant remember if it was used much or not.)i always carry my stocking cap,i knew about the wetness and colder temps this year.i planned on bring a light weight pair of long underwear. don't care much for the way the marmot feels its kinda scratchy, i thought about lining it with a light weight bedsheet so its more comfortable. in 99' i bought two bedsheets in waynesboro VA. and used those all the way to glencliff N.H. only got cold 1 night in CT.then got my bag back. but this time ill be north of the whites. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE- BOARSTONE

I broke down and ordered the Energizer Duo and will report back next week on how it works. For only $16 ppd. the worst case scenario is it will work with my car charger converter for road trips when I don't have a lap top along.

++ New Posts ++