WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Got weirded out one time when I came across a guy who was "hiking" with two heavy duffle bags (like large gym bags) filled mostly with books and some other heavy gear like Coleman propane. He was hiking with one duffle bag at a time, moving one down the trail and then going back for the other and overlapping.

I had come across one duffle bag by itself on the trail, zipper open (busted I guess), where I could see books, propane inside. This was in GA in one of the longer sections between roads and smack dab in the middle of that section. A few seconds after coming upon the first bag, I see the guy coming down the trail with another. Looked like it was filled with books, too, and who knows what else (shotgun, body parts?) I didn't spend much time with questions, I just went about my way trying to put as much distance as possible between us.
    Met that guy at Standing Bear. Two Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Met that guy at Standing Bear. Two Pack?
    I mean that i met a guy that did the same thing this year. Not saying it was your guy

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Got weirded out one time when I came across a guy who was "hiking" with two heavy duffle bags (like large gym bags) filled mostly with books and some other heavy gear like Coleman propane. He was hiking with one duffle bag at a time, moving one down the trail and then going back for the other and overlapping.

I had come across one duffle bag by itself on the trail, zipper open (busted I guess), where I could see books, propane inside. This was in GA in one of the longer sections between roads and smack dab in the middle of that section. A few seconds after coming upon the first bag, I see the guy coming down the trail with another. Looked like it was filled with books, too, and who knows what else (shotgun, body parts?) I didn't spend much time with questions, I just went about my way trying to put as much distance as possible between us.

Man, you should have offered the guy a hand with the body parts. What's wrong with ya?

Images

I don't even know if that link worked or not. Sorry if it didn't.
    Linked to a photo of a guy trying hard to do a George Michael impression. That was his costume?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Link is to the Facebook login
    Darn. Thought that might happen. Well, ignore the link.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by summermike View Post
    Linked to a photo of a guy trying hard to do a George Michael impression. That was his costume?
    Wait- did it really? It's supposed to be a photo of a lot of people in costume in Maine...

Images

Default who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I mean that i met a guy that did the same thing this year. Not saying it was your guy
    Well, I can't imagine its a real popular hiking style, could be same guy for all I know. I know several other hikers saw him and was allegedly camping and making fires directly on the trail at night.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Last week I ran into a guy called "RV" I laughed out loud he had so much junk. He was double wide and piled above his head and hanging to his knees. He was coming up this hill with his eyes glazed and mouth open and would have moped right past me had I not spoken. Looks like there should be a weight limit to miserable. Anyway I asked him about it and he said he "liked to hike in comfort". Carried all that in Utah... well he seemed nice enough, hope he lives :{D Also muttered something about a party at Albert Mountain.. missed that in the rain..

Images

Last year we passed a guy on the approach trail in a business suit, sweating his you know what off in June. We spoke to him and he never even looked at us or slowed his pace. Needless to say he was weird looking, maybe the heat had got to him, I don't know.

Tyvek was certainly unique, but the hiker(s) I found the most unusual were as follows:

I was hiking several miles from any road crossing or shelter, coming up to dusk on a steep uphill going northbound. Coming southbound is a guy, mid-thirtyish, wearing street cloths and dress shoes. He was lugging a suitcase under his left arm, carrying a 2nd suitcase in L hand, and DRAGGING a suitcase (the kind with a handle and wheels) along behind him. Didnt say a word to me, just passed and kept on going....A few minutes later, a female in a DRESS and HEELS comes walking along apparently following him...hmmm...wondered what THAT was about.....
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

honeymoon........
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    honeymoon........
    Followed quickly by divorce I say.
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Dont think they were married, but wondered if there might just be some cuffs and and whips in the suitcase.....
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

Images

I've got one except I'm the weird guy this time. I went solo hiking one time last fall at a local spot in NC and I got to thinking about work. We've made some changes lately and it's forced me to have to raise my voice over some machinery that the saftey alarms have been turned on, won't go into detail about that. But I am not a very loud talker or a very forceful shouter so I figured, hey, while I'm out here, maybe I should try my yelling voice a few times. It's not like I'm going to sit in my house and practice yelling louder and getting my voice stronger. So here we go. I'm in the woods absolutley yelling "JACKSON MISS TO MESQUITE TEXAS" "NEWARK NEW JERSEY to 29303 RETAIN" "GREENSBORO GET YOUR SIDES CLEAN" when all of a sudden a voice from behind me yells while laughing wildly "WHAT THE F$#% ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT" Needless to say I wasn't alone in those woods. Somehow I had managed to find a prestine spot.........right across the hill from someone's campsite. I never got my explanation out it they were just laughing to hard I started laughing and we had a laugh and then we went our seperate ways. I work for UPS if you were wondering.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I've got one except I'm the weird guy this time. I went solo hiking one time last fall at a local spot in NC and I got to thinking about work. We've made some changes lately and it's forced me to have to raise my voice over some machinery that the saftey alarms have been turned on, won't go into detail about that. But I am not a very loud talker or a very forceful shouter so I figured, hey, while I'm out here, maybe I should try my yelling voice a few times. It's not like I'm going to sit in my house and practice yelling louder and getting my voice stronger. So here we go. I'm in the woods absolutley yelling "JACKSON MISS TO MESQUITE TEXAS" "NEWARK NEW JERSEY to 29303 RETAIN" "GREENSBORO GET YOUR SIDES CLEAN" when all of a sudden a voice from behind me yells while laughing wildly "WHAT THE F$#% ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT" Needless to say I wasn't alone in those woods. Somehow I had managed to find a prestine spot.........right across the hill from someone's campsite. I never got my explanation out it they were just laughing to hard I started laughing and we had a laugh and then we went our seperate ways. I work for UPS if you were wondering.

So long as you don't go postal......awwww i know that's bad....sorry couldn't help meself

Now thats some funny fv(k1n $h!+ right there!!!! LOLOLOL

In Pa. once heard bagpipes at sunset from down in a valley. Met a guy in Va. carrying a full size charcoal grill with legs and wheels. Saw him later in N.J. and he still had it. Great guy. Happy, enthusiastic. Met a guy at a campground who was hiking across the U.S. on interstates. He had a 100 lb. pack. No bs. He had a tv and a boom box and stuff people gave him. Walked in high top sneaks. I myself may have presented as an unusual sighting a time or two.

That reminds me of myself except a little different circumstances....I know a lot of songs but can't sing a lick of any one of them in tune

So... when I need a pick me up on a hike I will generally belt out pieces of some of my favorites. If anyone was around they were polite not to say anything but I know one of these days someone will be right around the corner.

I know I'm the weird guy on the trail though and full well accept that. pretty sure I have a video in my picassa album from my last hike with some singing tid bits...anyone wanna link?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hbower View Post
    Last year we passed a guy on the approach trail in a business suit, sweating his you know what off in June. We spoke to him and he never even looked at us or slowed his pace. Needless to say he was weird looking, maybe the heat had got to him, I don't know.

That was Trail Name "The Gov" Mark Sanford, Working up to thru!

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Really a shame you folks don't have pictures of each other when on the trail with all these camera phones -what?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++