WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Default Class in planning

this is my thread for anyone who doesnt have an exact year except like a range of 4-10 years from now.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

so, if anyone has anything to say about their upcoming thru-hike like, say, iplan to spend 5 grand on gear and all my friens think im crazy or am going to get ate up by a mountain lion or something like that.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Don't pet the mountain lion, whatever you do!

Seriously though, I do plan on hiking the AT, it will likely be in 4-10 years but if everything aligns just right I hope to do it in 2011.

Images

my hopefully will be in the next 10 years
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

You plan to spend 5,000 on gear alone? As in, only gear? Not trail money and food? That's insane. (Of course, if I HAD 5,000 to spend solely on gear, I might)

I'm in for that timeframe. I need to kick the working habit first. No expenses for gear, I already have plenty. If I leave early enough NOBO, i should get to meet every single thruer that year, as they pass me plodding along at my sedated tortoise pace.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I retire in 8 years and am planning it then, (hoping that my health holds up) meantime I am going to do some sections starting next year. I have my gear I hike in Florida, but am sure will need some replacements by then. But I figure that gear will be a work in progress and an ever changing process. I have found that I do not need the best except my neoair I like comfortable sleeping, but use alcohol stove, etc.

In the meantime I read and try to interact alot to feed my AT obcession. I am definitely not in a position to quit work yet.

I like this thread though we can trade thoughts long distance
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I'll retire in late summer 2018. I'll re-hike the LT in the fall, and head for Springer in March 2019. I'm hoping time flies!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    iplan to spend 5 grand on gear and all my friens think im crazy or am going to get ate up by a mountain lion or something like that.
    $5 grand on gear? You must be gettin' Cadillac stuff, kid.

And it's your friends that are crazy - they'll get ate up by desk jockeys and regret not having gone hiking with you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    You plan to spend 5,000 on gear alone? As in, only gear? Not trail money and food? That's insane. (Of course, if I HAD 5,000 to spend solely on gear, I might)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    $5 grand on gear? You must be gettin' Cadillac stuff, kid.

And it's your friends that are crazy - they'll get ate up by desk jockeys and regret not having gone hiking with you.
    hahahaha, you guys read too close, i meant gear and food and spending money, as i get closer ill have a range. im planning on staying around maine a few weeks so whenever my family takes a vacation, ill meet up w/ them, until then, ill just chill, hopefully find some nice dude w/ 20 or so acres thatll let me hang there (in the woods that is). im hoping for $100 per town for emergencies or whatever and a mail drop for each town holding $100 and food.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

If I were you, I'd keep about $400 at least (or an ATM card) in your pack, because $100 isn't enough for emergencies (I don't know if you meant you'll only have $100 on you), especially because people miss mail drops or the post office screws up sometimes. But don't keep your money in an obvious place. Sew it into the inside of your pack, maybe.

If I were you, I'd keep about $400 at least (or an ATM card) in your pack, because $100 isn't enough for emergencies (I don't know if you meant you'll only have $100 on you), especially because people miss mail drops or the post office screws up sometimes. But don't keep your money in an obvious place. Sew it into the inside of your pack, maybe.
    From what I have read and learned, you do not want to keep your funds, license/I.D., credit/debit card,cell phone, etc...in or integrated into your pack due to the fact that one can become seperated from their pack, and then all would be gone. It is best to keep these items either in a small waist pouch, or a wallet. This way if one became seperated from ones pack for whatever reason, these items would still be retained.

Images

Yes... We have a winner here I would keep around 400 on me plus a 50 lifesaver wallet if I get mugged
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Hi, We are planning on thru-hiking in 2016 when our youngest graduates from school. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
    Meg

Images

I am fully retired in 2013 and will be departing Springer on Mar 1, 2014 with my dog Rocco (I haven't told him yet!)

Images

That's why I can never be considered a real hiker. I haven't even spent a thousand on my gear, althoug I did spend $225 for a new tent. Maybe there is hope for me.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Loose plan now is to complete my section hike of the AT within the next 4 years, before I semi-retire. Once I semi-retire, I'll hike the CT in fall, start the PCT the following spring.

CDT is a possibility after that.

Images

I have spent time on getting my gear together and I have purchased good gear and I think I may have spent $1,000. I hope your 5 includes drops, food,hotels, shuttles and air fare, because thats extreme.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fljj48 View Post
    I have spent time on getting my gear together and I have purchased good gear and I think I may have spent $1,000. I hope your 5 includes drops, food,hotels, shuttles and air fare, because thats extreme.
    Of course it does it's sorta a vague figure I'll stockpile gear and cash and when I get the cash I'll buy food and log off for five months
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

I'm planning on retirement in in 2014. I hope to thru hike that Spring. It seems far away, tho. I'm gonna get some good equipment in the next few years, but don't plan on "lodging" expenses on the trail. I really would like to spend all my nights in a hammock on the trail...but I'm still in the planning stage. It seems that half the fun will be planning/anticipating the trip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++