WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Please don't trash the trail

i know we've had these threads before, but i just want to issue a friendly request to anyone who may stumble across this......pack your trash out with you. its really disgusting to come across some lazy butthead's trash pile.

thank you.

Images

I agree completely, but I think the kind of people who "trash the trail" are not likely to be WB members or visitors. An occasional reminder doesn't hurt though . . .

Images

I think the people on this site would be aware of that.

There seems to be a lot of buttheads who do leave their trash. The people who leave their extra stuff in a shelter because they don't feel like carrying it any more bug me too.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    i know we've had these threads before, but i just want to issue a friendly request to anyone who may stumble across this......pack your trash out with you.
    I'll go one step further and say pack out some (if not all) of other people's trash. Leave the trail better than you found it, in other words.

RainMan
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I agree completely, but I think the kind of people who "trash the trail" are not likely to be WB members or visitors. An occasional reminder doesn't hurt though . . .
    yep. but i don't wanna take the pressure off the aholes that trash

yep. but i don't wanna take the pressure off the aholes that trash
    oops.

what i meant to say was i don't wanna take the pressure of those who would trash the trail. sure, packing out trash you find along the way is important (good to make a contest out of it....whoever brings out the most gets a prize).....i don't want trashers to think that if they throw their crap on the trail, someone else will pick it up for them.....like teenagers.....hhhhmmmmm

I was very disappointed up at Liberty Springs Tentsite when I found a giant tarp sized piece of 3 mil plastic crumpled up under a branch off to the side of the camp site. (about 3 pounds worth wet) I was brushing my teeth on the way out to go over Franconia Ridge when I found it, and normally I would have either packed out some or alerted the Caretaker, neither of which I had time for.

Maybe that sounds selfish, but Marje's knees had enough trouble with her 10 hour day as it was and I needed to get a move on...Not to mention I had extra weight to reduce her pack over the ridge and had little to no room for 3 lbs of plastic.

Although with the amount of large groups and kids at that sight (due to availability I'm sure) I was not surprised.

Tent site 4 back into the "peeing" trail if anyone gets a chance to get a piece of it. Sorry I could not, I picked up all other small surrounding trash that I could though.

well....some things you can pack out...but other things you just cannot, because that's not what you planned to do that day...like if i head out on a 12 mile day hike, i'm not equipped to pick up 24 empty beer cans, or a trashed tent (tarp) or wet, musty blankets......you get the point.

Images

Red face

i know we've had these threads before, but i just want to issue a friendly request to anyone who may stumble across this......pack your trash out with you. its really disgusting to come across some lazy butthead's trash pile.

thank you.

Saim,I sure agree with you and everyone here in every way.Hikers have more respect for our recreation area than to trash it.As mad as they make us when they don't respect it.They are a part of me that feels sad for those people for they are loosers in life and they are to blame for their own loss.

Anyone leave behind their 4 person tent and 2 person Sleeping bag in between Garfield and Franconia Ridge? I was not prepared to pack that out either.

Images

I have resigned myself to the fact that uninitiated tend to leave trash but today I found an empty box and bunch of plastic bags at the parking area off Rt 52 in NY. It was a mail drop box. If you have enough knowledge to send a mail drop to yourself you know enough to pack your crap out.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Anyone leave behind their 4 person tent and 2 person Sleeping bag in between Garfield and Franconia Ridge? I was not prepared to pack that out either.
    I saw that too. I just shook my head as I walked on by. Rather than pack out some butthead's trash, it might solve the issue if we just packed out the buttheads.

I wish you had seen the French Canadian Guy hiking up Lafayette SoBo with his family.

Family had 0 gear and a lot of bad looks on their face. Dad had a HUGE orange 1960ish outer frame pack and loaded to the gills.

He was NOT a happy camper Wonder if he dropped em

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    If that's the tent and sleeping bag that I'm thinking about, the US Forest Ranger told me about it while I was volunteering on the Ridge over July 4 weekend, and has plans to go back up there and pack it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    If that's the tent and sleeping bag that I'm thinking about, the US Forest Ranger told me about it while I was volunteering on the Ridge over July 4 weekend, and has plans to go back up there and pack it out.

Well together they weigh about 20 lbs, due to being soaking wet...I actually considered taking the tent...Could not bring myself to do it.

I wanted to strip it for parts

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Trash Pile

i know we've had these threads before, but i just want to issue a friendly request to anyone who may stumble across this......pack your trash out with you. its really disgusting to come across some lazy butthead's trash pile.thank you.

I usually call my "TRASH PILE"....my TENT! hehehehehe
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    . . . The people who leave their extra stuff in a shelter because they don't feel like carrying it any more bug me too.

Oh, but don't you know their real reason is that they leave that gear for future hikers who will come along and need that stuff. They're humanitarians, and do it all out of love.

How many of us don't know lots of hikers who need a 10-lb. sack of oatmeal? A 12# 4-person car camping tent? Four pairs of wet, heavy blue jeans?

The most ridiculous "present" I ever had to pack out of the shelter we maintain was a 9-ft. diameter wading pool that I found not 20 feet from the shelter fully inflated, and filled with water. With a big inflated orange beach ball floating in it, along with lots of other crap that had been dumped in it. Getting all that water in it from the spring must have been a chore, so whoever did it was athletically inclined enough to deflate it and pack it out IMHO. Not a fun day for a shelter maintainer.

Journal Entries

If the trail name "Weary" hadn't stuck, "Garbageman" would have been an appropriate substitute. I can't stand to see trash laying around. Plus trash breeds trash. A clean trail or campsite tends to remain clean for awhile. Once it is trashed hikers seem to take the position that "a little more won't hurt."

I've burned a ton of plastic over the years in the Smokies and in Maine -- usually to the consternation of other hikers who remind me that I'm polluting the air. I usually offer to pack out half the trash, if they will take out the other half. The near universal response if for the complainers to walk away -- with a look of disgust on their faces.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I have resigned myself to the fact that uninitiated tend to leave trash but today I found an empty box and bunch of plastic bags at the parking area off Rt 52 in NY. It was a mail drop box. If you have enough knowledge to send a mail drop to yourself you know enough to pack your crap out.
    Was there an address label on the box? I would love to mail him/her a carton full of trash.

Yea who on here said that they mailed someone their trash? This thread pops up every season.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++