WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Got It All?

Images

I make a weekly trip to the REI Flagship store here in Denver. I usually go at lunch just to kill time and see what is there to see. I'm constantly needing little stuff like a new whistle for a new pack, or to replace stakes. Plus, it's always nice to see and touch the 'new thing' out on the market. Besides, my boots need replacing about once a year anyway and they've got a good selection of footwear there.

But gear, not so much. When I buy new gear (and you know I like new gear Hooch) I most often do it online because REI and most other outfitters don't sell the gear I want. Gotta go to the little guy for the good stuff.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Images

You need a spork!ky

I have nothing against REI, but I always prefer to shop at small, independently owned/run full service outfitters. The prices and selections are just as good (and frequently better), and there is no question that the customer service, especially as regards knowledge on the part of the staff, is always better at smaller stores.

The "return policy" thing is a non-issue to me, as I take good care of my gear, and the companies I buy from all have great customer service departments.

In short, I've no need to shop at REI, and don't miss it.

I would like to give a plug to a local outfitter in Lincoln, NH... Lahouts on Main Street. In my brief visit recently, I found them superior to the big name stores on a variety of accounts....

http://www.lahouts.com/lahoutsnorthfacesummitshop.php

Yes, they carry brand name clothing, but they also have a wide selection of hiking and camping gear at reasonable prices. The staff is knowledgable and friendly and offered helpful reports on local trail conditions. I found them better all around than my local EMS store in CT.

Images

I'll soon be 39 years old and I've managed to get by all that time without ever visiting an REI store. Maybe some day I'll wander into one just to see what all the fuss is about.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    I'll soon be 39 years old and I've managed to get by all that time without ever visiting an REI store. Maybe some day I'll wander into one just to see what all the fuss is about.
    If it is anything like EMS, it is a high priced clothing store with a few hiking, camping items. Campmor, in Paramus, NH is a hiker's store... or campmor.com if you live too far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++