WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT Cutoff to Journey's End - Resupply Advice

I'm looking at doing the northern part of the trail in August but don't know anything about Vermont towns. Any suggestions for the two easiest places for a mail drop/local resupply so I can split the miles into about 3 50-60 mile sections? Thanks.

Get the Long Tail end to enders guide

Well, that answers the question 'what guide should I buy?', but not the question I asked. I have the guide books and the maps, I'm looking for advice from people familiar with the trail who might have an informed personal opinion about my best options. Thanks.

Images

Were you to follow the advice given, you would get the best answer to your question which may be had. Who do you figure wrote and publishes the recommended resource?

People who expect to sit at their keyboards and have the world provide for their every need, slam others who provide an appropriate answer and insult GMC and it members!

Well Emerald, I know who writes and publishes the guide. I'm a member of the GMC, and I have purchased the relevant guide books and the map. Along with those essential printed resources I also value the collective wisdom of the thousands of White Blaze members who have hiked countless miles on the Long Trail. When I want to buy a new piece of gear I don't just read Backpacker Magazine, I ask experts what their experience was. If this qualifies in your world as expecting the world to provide for my every need, I'm not sure how to respond. If pointing out someone else answered a question different than the one I asked is slamming them, I'm not sure what to think about that either. In the same vein, I would certainly hope the GMC and it's members wouldn't be insulted by a simeple question. My hope was I would study the printed materials, narrow my options down to two or three for each resupply, then use the kind advice of others to help me make a final decision.

For those who provided constructive PMs, I thank you. For those who would rather lecture me about how I should or should not get ready for my hike, I guess I hope you enjoy your well-earned feelings of superiority. I'm a simple hiker using my one vacation of the year to put in some miles on a stretch of trail I've never walked before. I apologize if my efforts to prepare have offended anyone.

Default AT Cutoff to Journey's End

Joel, this is the Chief. I sent you a private email with my phone number. Give me a call and I can provide the info you need.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I wrote this little guide..perhaps it will help?
    http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...s/lt_info.html

There are other options, but the ones I listed seem to be the most logical points for most backpackers.

Good luck!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Nice summary!

Yep, thanks Mags, that is really helpful.

Chief, great to hear from you. Let's put in some miles this winter on the Foothills Trail. Maybe we can track down your dear old friends from Rainbow Springs on the way down!

If memory serves me right I did Bristol via Lnicoln Gap, Johnson(compact good small thru-hiker town), Waterbury(good coffee shop/bakery/cafe at the train station), Rutland(another full service trail town with everthing, but a decent outfitter), Manchester(has all that a thru-hiker typically wants, bit of a yuppy tourist town, two/threee decent outfitters) and Bennington(good small trail town, healthfood store, outfitter, visit the tower and covered bridges and ride one of those free yellow bicycles around town). Took the phiosophy of hiking fast with small loads. more resupplies, and see more of the towns in Vermont.

Well played Joel. There are a couple of real holier than thou types on this message board . The ignore feature is a handy remedy.
    On the plus side , tons of knowledge and shared experiences here.
    Absinthe.......It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Lrt's see, about 55 miles puts you at App Gap, you could hitch into Bristol(full grocery store, restaurants) West, or Waitsfield East. Another 50 gets you to Johnson (same amenities as Bristol), and 50 more to Canada. If you don't like the relatively long hitches from App Gap or Lincoln Gap, a mail drop at Jonesville is about the only other easy option.

I've done it with caches at the appropriate spots, and have a small collection of BearVaults for that purpose.

Deadeye, is Jonesvile PO the one that is right near the trail as you cross the paved road?

Regarding hitchiking, I have been in 44 states and hitched almost all of them. Nearly every long time Vermonter is aware of the Long Trail. If a Vermonter sees you near the trail they know what you are doing. One of the easiest states to get a ride IMO.

++ New Posts ++