WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Horton was 2 days faster than Maineac in 91 i think it was.
    So, the speed hiker (or runner) was faster although i think they both did what they intended.
    Horton ran/walked the trail in 52+ days. Maineak walked, never ran, the trail in 55+ days. his goal was 56 days

Quote Originally Posted by Plodderman View Post
    I like to do long days (20-25) but I am getting a little old for speed hiking.
    you're only 50

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you're only 50
    For some fifty is old! "Gettin old ain't...........
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

......for sissies

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i just wanted to hear a professionals description of power hikers and speed hikers.
    Hmmm, does a distinction need to be made for being unsupported/carrying a backpack? It is pretty difficult to run with a loaded pack!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I was asked to give a definition.

I said I would do it...

But, on second thought, I find definitions don't define as much as they get persnickety.

Safe to say some run...
    Some hike all day...
    Some hike fast...

Some run all day and fast...
    Some run and hike the uphills...
    Some power hike (all day) and speed hike (fast).

But what is fast? Damn if I know.

In the end, it's all good.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Hmmm, does a distinction need to be made for being unsupported/carrying a backpack? It is pretty difficult to run with a loaded pack!
    back in 93 i covered between wautauga shelter and damascus in just under 12 hours. i ran the last 10 with a full pack

Ive ran sections.alot of downhill running, some flat grounds(SNP) it happens!

Quote Originally Posted by mags View Post
    i Was Asked To Give A Definition.

I Said I Would Do It...

But, On Second Thought, I Find Definitions Don't Define As Much As They Get Persnickety.

Safe To Say Some Run...
    Some Hike All Day...
    Some Hike Fast...

Some Run All Day And Fast...
    Some Run And Hike The Uphills...
    Some Power Hike (all Day) And Speed Hike (fast).

But What Is Fast? Damn If I Know.

In The End, It's All Good.
    Im The One That Ask For A Description, It Was No Big Deal! I Know The Difference! I Was Just Killing Time And Throwing A Question Out There,somebody Did Ask What Speed Hiking Is?, And Nobody Answered Him. Its All Good. I Liked Your Response Here!!! Great Post!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    back in 93 i covered between wautauga shelter and damascus in just under 12 hours. i ran the last 10 with a full pack
    Oh sure, it is certainly possible, but more difficult to run with a full pack on. I ran several days with a full pack to make mail drops. Definitions of these terms is interesting.

When I hear the term trail running, I picture someone in running shoes without a full pack.

When I hear the term speed hiking, I picture someone with a full pack hiking FAST 3+mph.

When I hear the term marathon hiker, I picture someone hiking big miles with a full pack at a normal pace, but hiking all day long.

Going to be doing 19 miles next Friday between Laurel Ridge Campsite and Tom Leonard Lean To....Gonna be running a few of the flatter, drier miles I hope....with a full pack. Base weight is at 17lbs right now...not bad. Brought some extra food, of course, but I think doing a few big mile days I'll be hungry.

Love to trail run with just the camelback and snacks though.

Default trail race

Call me crazy but I think an end to end "race" would be exciting. There's an Ididarodwhich is very popular. Only difference is no dogs and it's twice as far..no big deal.

Garlic
    Images

I missed this thread because I was out hiking the PNT, and even on that mess of a route averaged over 21 miles per day. Unfortunately, much of that was because the trail doesn't exist or was closed in many places and I had to road walk quite a bit. But on one very memorable section, the 165-mile traverse of the Pasayten Wilderness in Washington (Oroville to Ross Lake), this topic was really on my mind.

I was hiking close to 30-mile days on excellent trail in the Wilderness, getting up at dawn, watching the sunrise over the morning fog banks blowing through the passes, and hiking until the sunset lit up the blue glacier ice. Early one morning I passed through a popular, scenic lake area and saw lots of quiet tents, and I wanted to shout, "Wake up! You're missing the show!" These folks would slumber until 0800, pack up around 1000, walk until 1600 then sit around camp all evening (on the AT they'd be huddled in the corner of a dank shelter). If they even see me as I walk by, they wonder why I'm going so fast and not "smelling the roses".

My typical pace is about 2 mph, but I'll hike at least 12 hours a day, sometimes as much as 15. The world is not exactly whizzing by me, and I think I notice pretty much all there is to notice, with the added attraction of being out there in the early morning and in the evening, my favorite times to hike.

The only times I've ever actually run with even a light pack have been when I've been caught on a ridge in a lightning storm and treeline is pretty close, and on this last trip I ran through a long, dark two-lane highway tunnel on WA Hwy 20, about the scariest thing I've ever done on a hike.

I got into light weight packing because my old heavy stuff hurt too much. I had no intention of making longer days, but that's sure the way it turned out. Take the pain away, and the walking itself becomes so enjoyable. Now there's nothing I love more than to get to a high point near the end of the day and not being able to see where I started the day from.

Thanks for this thread, Mags.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Hey Garlic, I viewed you and Pickles on-line journal. The WHOLE thing! Couldn't stop watching it. Very, very cool, and inspirational.

Images

Since this forum was created only recently, there may be worthwhile threads located in other forums where they might not be found and read by interested individuals.

I wonder if one of this forum's moderators might respond to my inquiry and inform us as to whether an attempt to transfer related threads into this forum has been made, is underway or if there is some way in which people interested in these threads could help in gathering them where they now belong?

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Since this forum was created only recently, there may be worthwhile threads located in other forums where they might not be found and read by interested individuals.

I wonder if one of this forum's moderators might respond to my inquiry and inform us as to whether an attempt to transfer related threads into this forum has been made, is underway or if there is some way in which people interested in these threads could help in gathering them where they now belong?
    I am sure as hell am not going to wade through 5+ yrs of threads. I, and the admins who can actually do it, have better things to do.

If you are volunteering to do it..great! PM Troll and let him know your plans.

As new threads have been created since the creation of this forum have been moved here as we see them.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I wouldn't expect a moderator or anyone else to do what you appear to have suggested I think someone else should do. I was asking how individuals interested in the subject matter might be of assistance. Maybe what I'm suggesting is more people should do something rather than engage in an endless stream of mindless banter.

Maybe there are particular threads that might be made more accessible by transferring them here as opposed to allowing them to remain buried?

Would someone be willing to transfer threads if they are called to that person's attention? Is what was posted a policy statement or an attempt to call to the attention of readers the enormity of the task?

If someone is willing, what is the best way to go about it and what threads might be worthy of transfer? The Where's Karl? thread in particular comes to mind as one some might wish to locate at some point.

Maybe what I'm suggesting is more people should do something rather than engage in endless stream of mindless banter.

I agree!!!

Maybe there are particular threads that might be made more accessible by transferring them as opposed to allowing them to remain buried?

Emerald, since you brought it up..AND it seems important to you, why don't you find all the threads, copy and paste the pertinent links for the threads in question and send them to me. I'll make a note to the admins.

I am glad you brought this point up and are willing to do it.

Also, as mentioned, if new threads appear myself or my fellow mod will ask the thread to be moved. Naturally, mods of other forums can also ask the threads to be moved if they so desire. (If a speed hiking thread appears in the general forum, for example). But it really is not that important.

If you, or someone else, would rather just talk about and not do a darn thing..then please don't write anymore.

As a reminder, this is a forum for long/fast hikes and/or trail running.. not "What we should do about administering the forum". You are a moderator..post it in the mod forum not here. Further posts will go to the great bit bucket in the sky.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mags; 09-11-2009 at 14:35.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Mags, don't know if this is what you were looking for, but Andrew Skurka's website has a few noteworty suggestions on how to do a fast hike. For those interested in fast hikes I suggest you check out the website.

As far as I can tell those who thru-hike in the shortest amount of time not only hike faster than the avg. hiker but they also put in long hours consistently while developing a rhythym to their routine.

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I missed this thread because I was out hiking the PNT, and even on that mess of a route averaged over 21 miles per day. Unfortunately, much of that was because the trail doesn't exist or was closed in many places and I had to road walk quite a bit. But on one very memorable section, the 165-mile traverse of the Pasayten Wilderness in Washington (Oroville to Ross Lake), this topic was really on my mind.

I was hiking close to 30-mile days on excellent trail in the Wilderness, getting up at dawn, watching the sunrise over the morning fog banks blowing through the passes, and hiking until the sunset lit up the blue glacier ice. Early one morning I passed through a popular, scenic lake area and saw lots of quiet tents, and I wanted to shout, "Wake up! You're missing the show!" These folks would slumber until 0800, pack up around 1000, walk until 1600 then sit around camp all evening (on the AT they'd be huddled in the corner of a dank shelter). If they even see me as I walk by, they wonder why I'm going so fast and not "smelling the roses".
    I dig this post... sums up why I love going long distances. When I run long training runs, people ask if I stop and smell the roses. What they don't know is that I'll probably see a lot more roses along my run than if I were to hike.
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++