WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have a z55 and love it. Saw lots of thru hikers carrying it as well.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

that's good news, my dad said it was a good starters pack, (i still agree with him)(for now, at least) I have yet to recieve the pack, so im just hoping that i made a good choice, also, if anyone has it, can you list a few things about it, maybe some good pics or a link to pics, and does anyone know why it has been on closeout since last year?
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

Exclamation

this is in response to my earlier comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Max2mus View Post
    does anyone know why it has been on closeout since last year?
    it was actually last years model on closeout. (probably became outdated.)
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

My buddy has the z55 and likes it. Has lots of airflow on the back.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Max:

I think you'll be fine with your new backpack.

As others have pointed out, some folks find bivvies a bit too confining, and really, there's not a whole lot you can do in them except sleep. In tents or tarps, you can sit up, prepare a meal, repair some gear, and so on, plus you'd have room for your pack, which is a nice way to keep it dry and away from critters. I think the bivvy will do fine for now, but eventually I think you might want to consider something with a bit more space.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Max2mus View Post
    that's good news, my dad said it was a good starters pack
    Starter pack? Odd thing to say, what would be a good expert's pack? Anyway......packs get upgrades, or change colors all the time, not unusual to close out the old models. Enjoy the savings.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Starter pack? Odd thing to say, what would be a good expert's pack? Anyway......packs get upgrades, or change colors all the time, not unusual to close out the old models. Enjoy the savings.
    good point, although im not going to say my dad is an ultralight expert (other than ultralight planes.)
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

I have that bivy - plenty of room and only requires a minimum of 2 stakes. I'm not certain of the fabric differences between HYVent and EPIC, but I had no problem with this one, and it didn't 'mist' when raining. The foot hoop will be tough to put in its grommets the first 10 or so times you set it up but it will work (I think they made the pole a tad too long). I seam sealed mine before using it and was immediately caught in a 10 hour downpour. Stayed completely dry, not even much condensation.

Be aware that there is no bug netting, like the black diamond lightsabre bivy has. I solved this by bringing a section of netting and draping it over the unzippered opening. When it got cold I just zipped up and didn't care if the net fell off.

Images

I have changed my name from Max2mus to David@whiteblaze, so direct answers and PM's to me.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

I've been an external-frame pack user forever, and I'm not knowledgable about the newer internals, so I'll refrain from making any dumb comments.

Bivys have always looked a bit small to me (I routinely carry an oversized tarp that gives me PLENTY of extra room in bad weather), but to each his own.

Play with your gear in the backyard until you're familiar with it and comfortable using it. After all, what's the sense in having toys if you can't play with them???
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

haha, nice, as f ar as im concerned, in a few weeks im going camping, so it's two nights of experience, keep in mind that i live in central florida, so going outside at night during summer is like entering a sauna, in the daytime, a tanning booth.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

Default oops.

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    as f ar as im concerned,
    as far as i'm concerned.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

David@WB,
    Your pack's da bomb! Love Gregory packs. A little on the heavy side as packs go, but load ride and comfort make them worth it in my opinion.

As for the bivy, not my style. Might be fine for you . . . you're young and comfort may not be your primary concern . . . yet! I like a little "living room" especially in nasty weather. I prefer a light 2-person tent like the SD Lightning. Climbing in and out of a bivy gets to be a pain, especially in the rain.

Every bivy needs a tarp, or at least a poncho. It's nearly impossible to get into and out of one without getting soaked in a heavy rain. Your wet clothing will get your sleeping bag wet unless you have some way to get into/out of it outside of your bivy, hence the recommendation for some sort of overhead coverage.
    Lots of folks seem to like your pack. I use a frameless pack.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Every bivy needs a tarp, or at least a poncho.
    Yes, add a small silnylon tarp and you would have a bombproof palace without adding many ounces.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Images

Talking

Got my tent and MYOGed a tarp overhang, pics named (appropriately so) My MYOG Tarp Overhang.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...ages.php?c=511
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

A small tarp might do you good. I never keep my pack in my tent with me. I usually take my necessities inside and hang the smellies. The pack gets wrapped in the pack cover with shoes inside or underneath. Worked well for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chicote View Post
    A small tarp might do you good. I never keep my pack in my tent with me. I usually take my necessities inside and hang the smellies. The pack gets wrapped in the pack cover with shoes inside or underneath. Worked well for me.
    I finally field tested my equip. and realized that I don't need 5 feet of tarp w/ clearance of 2 1/2 ft. or less... If i got a tarp, what size would u suggestfor an overhang large enough to... cook in extreme weather, climb in and out of tent w/o a swimming pool in my tent, and just chill on a rainy eve? I love the tent and it has just enough room for me, the window is a bit ominous though. If i cant get an answer, i will just make a new thread.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

The way I see it, you can buy a tarp and just use it by itself, or modify one to fit your bivy. Simple silnylon one like from campmor, smallest size would work, cheap and light. But I also see you have some monster you bought. If I had that one, I would plan on modifing it to fit with your bivy. Some sort of triangle that covers the opening of the bivy, not the whole thing, using both bivy poles as attachment points, and hiking poles if you use them for the front of the triangle, in front of the bivy. Or a stick, or buy a single pole. Hope that concept makes sense. If you don't sew, finding someone who can shouldn't be a problem. The issue is fit. I would buy some cheap plastic, and start cutting to make a prototype. Sounds like a good mental challenge to me.

good luck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buz View Post
    The way I see it, you can buy a tarp and just use it by itself, or modify one to fit your bivy. Simple silnylon one like from campmor, smallest size would work, cheap and light. But I also see you have some monster you bought. If I had that one, I would plan on modifing it to fit with your bivy. Some sort of triangle that covers the opening of the bivy, not the whole thing, using both bivy poles as attachment points, and hiking poles if you use them for the front of the triangle, in front of the bivy. Or a stick, or buy a single pole. Hope that concept makes sense. If you don't sew, finding someone who can shouldn't be a problem. The issue is fit. I would buy some cheap plastic, and start cutting to make a prototype. Sounds like a good mental challenge to me.

good luck.
    mental challenge... some. Physical challenge(he's doing jumping jacks)... no.(and yes, i realize that you didn't say physical challenge, just keep going...) Challenge of battling heat stroke... definetely so, this pic: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...?i=36006&c=721 shows what i got out of what u said. tell me wat u think.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++