WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bidwell View Post
    I've used these for boating, hiking, running, around town, etc. I wouldn't go backpacking with them, but I've done quite a few runs in them (up to 10 miles on some pretty rocky trails). They are comfortable and make you feel "free". They are also very durable.

Calling these shoes "stupid" is simply close-minded! Y'all should give em a try.
    I'm not calling it stupid, but have you ever stubbed your little toe? I won't be hiking in them anytime soon.

Bidwell NOBODY posted "Stupid" you read the bottom of a previous post that had nothing to do with the thread - It was a quote!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I have KSO's, I hiked the AT from russel field to Gregory bald yesterday in them with my overnight gear - they felt great. actually felt like I had a little spring in my step.

Still don't like them on paved surfaces though

Images

A little info on FiveFingers from one of my climbing friends that has them: good for smearing, bad for edging, REALLY bad for jamming (there's no protection for the top of your foot). If you're already using a soft, slipper-type shoe for bouldering and the like, you might want to try them.

I had tried on a pair a few months back, and was pretty disappointed that they didn't fit my feet. They've come out with a women's model since then, but I haven't seen it in stores to try on yet. I'd be really interested in trying these out on the trail!

Stubbing the toes seems to be a concern here
    My experience is that I for one have not stubbed my toe while barefoot in my adult life
    However there have been times that I have not picked my feet up high enough to get over a rock or root with my boots on thus stubbing or tripping whatever you want to call it
    it seems for me anyway that the mind just knows how far to pick up the naked foot

I was on the staff for the Reach the Beach relay race (200 miles, 24 hours from Canon Mountain to Hampton Beach) yesterday. One of the runners was wearing Vibram Five Fingers. He really liked them for running but did say it took a while to to used to them.
    Bob & Brad
    (On the Internet, no one knows if you're a dog)
    Psalm 121 - the hiker's psalm

Images

I've been wearing mine everyday since I got them ... I don't know, maybe a couple months ago. I love them. They're so comfortable.

There are three downsides that I've found, they start to smell. I've washed them once, then they started smelling after only a few days.

When it rains a lot, and the grounds real wet, your shoes and feet are going to get wet, and stay wet.

Lastly, it's started to get real annoying having people ask me about them. It was real cool at first. Now, everytime I go out, I have to explain that they're shoes and not toe socks and then it just goes from there. Grocery store, school, bus ... you name it. People are curious.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler88 View Post
    I've been wearing mine everyday since I got them ... I don't know, maybe a couple months ago. I love them. They're so comfortable.

There are three downsides that I've found, they start to smell. I've washed them once, then they started smelling after only a few days.

When it rains a lot, and the grounds real wet, your shoes and feet are going to get wet, and stay wet.

Lastly, it's started to get real annoying having people ask me about them. It was real cool at first. Now, everytime I go out, I have to explain that they're shoes and not toe socks and then it just goes from there. Grocery store, school, bus ... you name it. People are curious.
    Well that post just killed it for me, I have seen the Wilmington Trail Club use them, and I know wet feet = blisters.

Invest in this:

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Love the idea behind it, but alas, I have webbed toes.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

good one Scope!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well that post just killed it for me, I have seen the Wilmington Trail Club use them, and I know wet feet = blisters.

Invest in this:

Ah, I didn't mean to turn you off to 'em. Like I said, I love them. They're definitely great around here in Texas where it doesn't rain a lot. Unless having to stand on hot concreat for a long time or something; the heat transfers through the shoes pretty fast. Same with running on a track.

But the numerous upsides outweigh the downs I think. The biggest thing for me is that they're so comfortable that I forget that I'm wearing them. I can leave them on all day, no problem.

I have the KSO's. I bought for hiking mostly. But I want to get a pair of the classics or the sprints as well. I don't see myself wearing regular shoes anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Bidwell NOBODY posted "Stupid" you read the bottom of a previous post that had nothing to do with the thread - It was a quote!

Yes SOMEBODY did just that. "bigmac_in" wasn't quoting anything. He wrote this:

"Those things are just plain stupid."

This asid, anyone interested in these and this topic should read a book called "Born To Run". It's on the bestseller lists right now (and I'm sure someone has probably posted on this forum about it already). Fascinating book, great read and real eye opener about running/walking shoes in general.

I listened to a podcast by Barefoot Ted (go to his web site http://www.barefootted.com/) and one of the comments he made was priceless. People would ask him how to get started running barefoot. He said that if you want to go barefoot, just go barefoot. But he realized that in the US, we can't seem to do something unless there is some piece of gear to buy. Hence, barefoot shoes!
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I listened to a podcast by Barefoot Ted (go to his web site http://www.barefootted.com/) and one of the comments he made was priceless. People would ask him how to get started running barefoot. He said that if you want to go barefoot, just go barefoot. But he realized that in the US, we can't seem to do something unless there is some piece of gear to buy. Hence, barefoot shoes!
    That would be an epiphany.

Woo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++