WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    That's the one- I don't know how many of us are meeting there, but I think timebreaks, Hobbot and I will be there so far. I'm also bringing scones to the trailhead.
    OK I got it programmed into my GPS. see you there.

Panzer

Images

Just re-reading the thread...are we still planning on caching some water at the road crossing?

Images

I think ernman was planning to do that- I'll send him a message and ask. If he doesn't, I probably will. Because there is absolutely no water near the shelter if the tap has been shut off, and I'm sure it has been. (I may bring water even if ernman does, because we'll need a fair amount, between what was it? Eight or nine people so far?)

And I'm in for breakfast. Be prepared for a bleary-eyed, not-so-chipper skipper. (Not so much of a morning person)

And just to warn y'all now, I'm not exactly in fantastic shape (what with being sick for two solid weeks and not doing any working out since summer), and I hearby volunteer to take up the rear.

PS- Even though we're going to breakfast, I'm still bringing plenty of scones!!! (For second breakfast, of course)
    Last edited by ShelterLeopard; 11-09-2009 at 19:42. Reason: Forgot something...

Images

Ok, just checking. I would volunteer to drop off some water, but I'll probably get lost in the dark.

I'll probably be at the rear with you - I just tweaked my ankle a little bit climbing this weekend. I hope it's up to the challenge of carrying around the extra weight from all this breakfast!

Images

And just to warn y'all now, I'm not exactly in fantastic shape (what with being sick for two solid weeks and not doing any working out since summer), and I hearby volunteer to take up the rear.
    Yea, I know, you probably feel like your 50.

Panzer

Images

Nope- I bet if I felt like I was 50 I'd be rarin' to go. I feel like an out of shape 19 year old.

ERNMAN

Hey Everyone....Just a quick response to what I ve been reading....Rt.191 is 7/10 of a mile from kirkridge shelter...ImParking my truck there with everything I need.... Everyones welcome to put their things in there so there only a few mins away if you need them...the weather is not calling for freezing temps, so Im thinking we will be allright with water staying overnight. I like the idea of having a vehicle nearby in case of an emergency. .... I live 15 mins from the Gap. If anyone would like to come up and stay at the house your more then welcome....I have plenty of space. 4 empty bedrooms... I understand if you dont want to ,but the offers there. I have a whole apartment thats empty for guests...Im leaving to Long island tom night and will be back thurs night or fri morning...E mail add is [email protected] Ernie

ERNMAN

BTW.. I def. feel like 50.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ERNMAN View Post
    Hey Everyone....Just a quick response to what I ve been reading....Rt.191 is 7/10 of a mile from kirkridge shelter...ImParking my truck there with everything I need.... Everyones welcome to put their things in there so there only a few mins away if you need them...the weather is not calling for freezing temps, so Im thinking we will be allright with water staying overnight. I like the idea of having a vehicle nearby in case of an emergency. .... I live 15 mins from the Gap. If anyone would like to come up and stay at the house your more then welcome....I have plenty of space. 4 empty bedrooms... I understand if you dont want to ,but the offers there. I have a whole apartment thats empty for guests...Im leaving to Long island tom night and will be back thurs night or fri morning...E mail add is [email protected] Ernie
    The water at the shelter will almost definitely be shut off by now though, freezing or not- the people who own the retreat shut it off usually in late October. So, we'll need a lot of water I'm thinking. Do you want to bring it all, or do you want me to drop some off? (I'm parking my car in DWG, but I could leave some water at the trailhead on 191)

I'll just load my pack up with extra water. I need to make sure extra weight rides comfortably in a relatively new pack

I am also coming up Sat morning even though I have a two hour drive and am definitely not a morning person. So, if you see a zombie wander into the diner, it is probably me.

Images

We'll be zombies together, Hobbot!

ERNMAN

I m really looking forward to meeting other hikers and enjoying the time in the woods.

Images

I don't know how much of a "winter" shakedown hike this is going to be....the forecasts I've seen so far say it's going to be fairly warm out there still!

Images

I know- hey, we can always do another in December! (Or maybe January- I'm kind of counting on Christmas for a couple essential gear items)

And I'm psyched for this hike too Ernman!

Images

Oh- forgot, orange blaze season (I think it's still hunting season, right?). Two options- wear the orange or sing really loudly. I'm all for the orange. (And if anyone opts to sing, they'll either get shot by a hunter or a fellow hiker out of sheer annoyance)

Images

now it looks like they're calling for rain on Saturday...

Panzer

Images

Hey, we're no wusses! What's a little rain... Though I'm tempted to drop off/ cache some dry firewood under ernman's car... Nope, we'll deal with it. After all, for some of us, this is a shakedown! Actually, I don't have almost any of my new gear yet... Or my packa. Or any breathable raingear. WHATEVER! We'll all be hopped up on bacon and coffee from the DWG diner, it'll be great.
    Last edited by ShelterLeopard; 11-11-2009 at 23:37. Reason: Please note, the above post is the result of being very tired and excited at the same time.

Images

Any of you non-morning people who might be interested - the Pocono Inn at Water Gap is having a 20% off special this weekend, if you wanted to stay over on Friday night. (570) 476-0000

Images

So, does anyone know if we can really park at the trailhead? I think I may still just park at the trolley place. (Who I forgot to call- I have to do that today)

Images

Haven't found any information that says that we can't park overnight at the trailhead lot....but haven't found anything that says "yes" definitively either.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++