WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default If and when I join the lite backpacking crowd...........

I live in Montana. Should I go down to Bozeman to the BackpackingLite store or travel all the way down to Boulder to the Go-Lite store?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I live in Montana. Should I go down to Bozeman to the BackpackingLite store or travel all the way down to Boulder to the Go-Lite store?
    Bozeman without a doubt. BPL products are noticeably lighter and more innovative than Golite's stuff. Save the money on gas and spend it on Cocoon insulation.

Or better yet, don't get nearly so worked up about gear weight as simply getting out there!
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Backpacking lightweight to me just means forever keeping an eye (and a mind) open to gear that is lighter weight than what i am already using.
    Whether it be a spoon, light, tarptent, or pack to carry it all in.

I don't really thing there's a need to go into a store to do this, just something that you should start and continue to do.

The more you hike, the lighter your pack will way. (most likely anyway)
    Start out with what you already have and make your mind up by yourself and from watching other hikers. Not some salesperson in a store that may have orders to point you to the higher end stuff. (the higher priced stuff might be just what you want to avoid)
    My 2 cents anyway. But, i would take the trip to Bozeman anyway. I like that town.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Bozeman without a doubt. BPL products are noticeably lighter and more innovative than Golite's stuff. Save the money on gas and spend it on Cocoon insulation.

Or better yet, don't get nearly so worked up about gear weight as simply getting out there!
    Not really worried about the weight I carry. I just know that there are some things I'd like to lower the weight on. Ex: I own an external frame pack, when empty weighs over 7 pounds!!
    Back when I started bping, selection was not so varied when it came to everything in your pack. Now it is so grossly out of control, it just freaks me out. Frankly, I hate getting the BPer Mag gear issue every year!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Back when I started bping, selection was not so varied when it came to everything in your pack. Now it is so grossly out of control, it just freaks me out.

Yeah..those shiny gear magazines sure do make what is supposed to be the simple joy of walking into a gear fetish..doesn't it.

What I suggest is read this book.

A good meat and potatoes guide to lightweight backpacking. Rather than talk about specific gear brands, it gives an overall view of WHY and HOW to go lightweight so you can make your own decisions. Simple things add up. Without breaking the bank, you may be ready to go light with simple items already in your gear collection.

Further thoughts for quality gear on the cheap:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...678#post206678

Some additional information I will add is that you should invest in a decent sleeping bag. The Campmor down bag is rated to 20F and is known as a good budget bag.
    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

If you are looking for a light, compressible and warm jacket check out an army liner jacket
    (mentioned in the above article, but deserves to be emphasized) : http://tinyurl.com/2dfgpk

If you don't mind a bit of sewing, you can make a Montbell Thermwrap clone for less than $20 with the above liner jacket. A men's large comes in at 12oz! Considering a Montbell Thermawrap is $150 and weights 10oz, the cheap way is nice for those on a budget on who need something warm, light and cheap!

Check it out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41034

Needlong underwear, hats, socks, hats, mittens, etc? Check out Warm Stuff Distributing (formerly known as the Underwear Guys) http://www.theunderwearguys.com All the basics at excellent prices. The items tend to be off-brand, surplus and/or factory irregulars. However, I personally think the off-brand, surplus or irregular is as good (and sometimes better than) the Patagucci clothing. Sometimes warmer, sometimes lighter weight... always cheaper! Fiddlehead here on WB runs the company.

Finally, for high altitude/desert hiking I suggest a long sleeve synthetic shirt for the princely sum of $4 from many thrift stores. (Old uniform shirts, acrylic shirts from Blair, rayon blends, heck,,.even the 65/35 blends are fine!) I've used this type of shirt for literally several thousand miles of backpacking.

The shirt has a handy front pocket that I can stick a map in, too!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

...things I'd like to lower the weight on. Ex: I own an external frame pack, when empty weighs over 7 pounds!!...
    I like to watch ebay for vintage Kelty. I've found a couple early 70 externals that come in under 3.5 lbs; not uber-lite but, not bad for a premium external that is as lite as many internals nowdays.
    Cuts your 7 lbs. weight in half.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

I'd visit the BPL store in Bozeman. Keep in mind that BPL is pretty hardcore as far as packing light. Keep an open mind, but really it is probably best in some things to experiment in going lighter to start with than to go hardcore all at once. It takes a certain frame of mind and skill set (some of their gear is somewhat fragile), but if you want to absolutely go the lightest, they can help.

GoLite these days is more for the mainstream lightweight packer, and is going to mostly be more durable than the lightest BPL gear.

I do love my Cocoon pants, but the merino long johns are pretty thin and easy to poke a hole in.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Another vote for BPL in Bozeman. However, I would go in with a very good idea of the type of gear that you're looking for. While you could cut the weight of your pack by 6 pounds, that's not going to work very well if you're still lugging 29 pounds of gear and supplies. As mentioned earlier, it's a state of mind where you're constantly evaluating your gear, what you can make dual-purpose, and where you can cut ounces without sacrificing the comfort and safety you think you need.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Hike smarter, not harder.

I like backpackinglight stuff and Bozeman Mountain Works products. Pricey but good stuff. The equipment and especially the clothing is lightweight/thin and requires care and TLC.

And I've picked up stuff in Bozeman once or twice on my way through just to save postage. But a BPL store? That's news to me. They have a warehouse with set open hours (or use to) and they'll work to fit your schedule if you can't meet those hours but I never got the impression that it operated as a store wherein you 'visited' and wandered the aisles 'shopping.'

Please update me if I'm out of the loop. I'll be through Bozeman next month...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    But a BPL store? That's news to me.
    Me too. My guess is that he's referring to the BMW store, a lot of whose gear is sold through the BPL website.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I don't even know of a BMW store...is there a brick and mortar one? Online shopping from either BPL or BMW is all I've been aware of...

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    I don't even know of a BMW store...is there a brick and mortar one? Online shopping from either BPL or BMW is all I've been aware of...

FB
    Oops, I think you are right. They have a distribution center in Bozeman, but don't mention any sort of store.

Heya bud, I live in Bozeman too. BPL moved their inventory out of state (lower costs) so you can't buy on site. But you can visit their office and if they have free time you can talk gear, get some advice etc. They will probably have some stuff on site as well, you never know.

Also check out Prolite Gear north of 90 on North 7th. Great place.

It's a process. Start with backpacking (you do backpack, right?)

Now look at your stuff. Replace something with something lighter. Or decide not to bring it at all (like I did when I decided to stop bringing the Coleman two mantle lantern + big green steel propane cylinder).

Now, go backpacking again, and see how your change worked.

Rinse, and repeat.

Personally, I like to get my ideas from other people I meet on the trail, or on forums. NEVER from a store or a magazine or someone trying to make a buck. It's not for any deep philosophical reason, it's just that the process has taught me not to trust the recommendations from people in those positions.

Anywho, I get some of my big ticket stuff online (like the bag and pack). Some stuff I get from REI (Pacific Outdoor air mattress, Platypus bottles). I make what I am able to (like a tarp or a tarptent or a ditty bag or an alky stove), and I get the rest from wherever. Be creative, stuff like guylines you can get from HomeDespot (sold as braided nylon cord for masonry).

++ New Posts ++