WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking Mt.Moosilauke

I am currently in Vermont on my thru hike and have had several opinions on how to hike Mt. Moosilauke in New hampshire. Some opinions are to "slack pack" it of possible from the north face to the south face because it is easier to climb tne north side than to go down it. Others say it really dosen;t matter. Your opinions please if you have already hiked it.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I would have much preferred SOBO. The descent into Kinsman Notch torched my quads, which led to knee pain later in the hike. While the descent to Glenncliff is a lot longer, it's not nearly as steep.

In addition, if it's wet, then I'd much rather be climbing those rock faces and steps than trying to descend.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

You are hiking it without ice or snow so going down the north side is less precarious now. It is however steep with some apparatus in places that aid you crossing steep slippery slabs and rocky descents. You may encounter some mud near a waterfall/stream on the AT. Be careful. Take your time. Be mindful of your footing. Even in summer the wind can get howling on the summit. It gets chilly to down right frigid up there. Slack it if you can. Yes, going north to south is easier on the descent. If you made it this far from Springer and you take your time all is good.

Since Kerosene mentioned the Kinsmans Trail that too has some short steep slippery possibly muddy downclimbs/hiking that should be negotiated with care. You will hike the Kinsman Tr. after Mossilauke. For me, the start of the Kinsman is the start of the awesome hiking in the Whites and hut life.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We slacked it going SOBO and it was much better that way, esp as they were predicting rain. And you could see the waterfalls better too going up. You can usually split the cost with other hikers.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default Are You Prone to Vertigo?

The north slope is definitely the steeper side, but you could be in a world of hurt on either slope if you trip and fall. The trails in New Hampshire are unlike anything you have seen so far. In days of old, the word "switchback" had not yet been invented. Consequently, the trails go straight up the mountain, and straight down the mountain. The erosion is unbelievable. On the north side, the soil has vanished, and trail crews have installed re-bar foot/hand holds, and wood steps nailed into the rock. These are a real big help. I don't think you would be able to navigate this slope without them. At the same time, if you are northbound descending, people who are susceptable to vertigo will be howling .

If southbound, expect to have wind and rain in your face if the weather is bad. Above treeline, the wind should not be underestimated. It might be prudent to not hike alone, and if you slack, have enough provisions and gear to be able to spend the night in an emergency. I believe "Packrat" at the "Hiker's Welcome" hostel in Glencliff could arange the shuttle for you. In addition, it's a great place to stay and brace yourself for the beauty and exhileration that are the"Whites".

Have a great trip!

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

We heard every reason at Glencliff why we should slack pack the area because of the difficulties. A lot of people did it, but we decided to just push on with our gear and had no problems at all. Seems once you get sucked into slack packing there it turns into a three day deal with lots of shuttles that keep getting longer and more expensive. You'll have harder terrain in the Whites and Maine than you'll have at Mt. Moosilauke, IMO. Hiking it is really no big deal. We went up early and it was cold, foggy and windy, then heard it cleared off about noon after we were down again. Just check the weather and watch your step, you'll be fine.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

I certainly wouldn't want to be on top of Moosilauki without gear any time of the year.
    Here's a pic from my last time up there:
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Don't slackpack any of the Whites. You will probably be charged for a $25,000 rescue that you don't need because it is deemed that you don't have the correct equipment.

geek

I was up there Saturday, and there were about a 50 people around the summit with a wedding going on nearby. It took us 3 hours to day hike up and 2.5 to day hike it down via a different trail thjan the AT. Beaver brook trail is a "fall line" hike, get a rock rolling down the moutain side, mark its path and make a trail. It follows a steep drainage over a lot of slabs that have wooden steps attached. Its great place for using poles to take up a lot of the shock of going down. (think of it as walking down a long stretch of very uneven stairs) There are local slack options, but unfortunately I am not up to date on who to contact but the folks in Glencliff will. Unless you plan to slack the entire whites (possible, but expensive and a lot of wasted elevation), just plan to reduce your mileage and get used to the condtions as there are several more steep ascents and descents along the way.

Many thruhikers try to go past Beaver Brook Shelter and keep going past Kinsmans Notch, sometimes to Eliza Brook, thats a real long day and many end up regreting that decision somewhere around the steep climb back up out of Kinsman Notch. Unlike al lot of the trail, it frequently not easy to find a flat spot off the side of the trail to set up for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I was up there Saturday, and there were about a 50 people around the summit with a wedding going on nearby. It took us 3 hours to day hike up and 2.5 to day hike it down via a different trail thjan the AT. Beaver brook trail is a "fall line" hike, get a rock rolling down the moutain side, mark its path and make a trail. It follows a steep drainage over a lot of slabs that have wooden steps attached. Its great place for using poles to take up a lot of the shock of going down. (think of it as walking down a long stretch of very uneven stairs) There are local slack options, but unfortunately I am not up to date on who to contact but the folks in Glencliff will. Unless you plan to slack the entire whites (possible, but expensive and a lot of wasted elevation), just plan to reduce your mileage and get used to the condtions as there are several more steep ascents and descents along the way.

Many thruhikers try to go past Beaver Brook Shelter and keep going past Kinsmans Notch, sometimes to Eliza Brook, thats a real long day and many end up regreting that decision somewhere around the steep climb back up out of Kinsman Notch. Unlike al lot of the trail, it frequently not easy to find a flat spot off the side of the trail to set up for the night.
    Was everyone at the wedding fined if they didn't have the "required" equipment for "survival in the Whites"?

geek

Images

no need to slack, it's not a big deal.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    We slacked it going SOBO and it was much better that way, esp as they were predicting rain. And you could see the waterfalls better too going up. You can usually split the cost with other hikers.

The waterfalls are gorgeous and the view of them is awesome heading south.

Images

Don't slack pack it, man up and carry your pack! Of course, I really do hope I still feel the same way when I'm 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Don't slackpack any of the Whites. You will probably be charged for a $25,000 rescue that you don't need because it is deemed that you don't have the correct equipment.

geek
    So what you are saying is that day hiking should never be allowed in the Whites? And if they do they will "probably be charged for a rescue"? Have you even hiked the Whites? The Mountain in question is not that tough and yes it's easier south than north. If you want to slack it, slack it. Fat Chap at the Hikers Welcome would be happy to give you a lift. It shouldn't take more than 4 to 6 hours max with or without a pack. (I've done it each way). Seems that Jim wants to live in fear and bubble wrap the world. Never slack the Whites? If you never slack anywhere then sure. It's how you roll. If it's because you are afraid you'll get hurt and need to be rescued then why are you hiking to begin with? Just crawl in a hole somewhere and wait for the world to end. Much safer then going out and living life. Let me guess Jim. You would never consider riding a motorcycle or letting your kids play football etc...

Default take it easy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 65 View Post
    I am currently in Vermont on my thru hike and have had several opinions on how to hike Mt. Moosilauke in New hampshire. Some opinions are to "slack pack" it of possible from the north face to the south face because it is easier to climb tne north side than to go down it. Others say it really dosen;t matter. Your opinions please if you have already hiked it.

Gator, I hiked it during my thru-hike in Sept '02. Had my arm in a cast at the time. In his wisdom and experience, Weathercarrot advised me to do it SOBO. THANK GOODNESS! It made it much easier and less perilous. Even so, the trickling water and smooth rocks require your full attention. I "scooted" down a few feet from time to time but, made it ok. LOL--if I can do it--anybody can!

Have a great hike!

S
    PS (a FORMER Floridian...)
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

I day-hiked it south and was glad I did. Primarily I'd consider the weather; if the mountain is wet, I'd definitely hike it south.

Regarding whether to slack or not, HYOH. Others may tell you what they did but no one should tell you what you "should" do.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Definitely a lot of hyperbole surrounding that mountain. The descent going northbound is certainly pretty steep, but very manageable on a dry day. You just have to take your time and watch your step, particularly, I'd imagine, on a slick day. It's not like you're going to fall off the side of the mountain or something, though.

I've done it both ways with a heavy pack.
    Sobo is easier.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I regret not taking pictures of the little wooden steps bolted into the rocks on the descent. We didn't slack it and it really wasn't that bad nobo with packs. The day I climbed it was clear, sunny and warm..I'd hate to have to come down that mountain if it was wet..or climb it for that matter.
    The climb down nobo is good practice for what's ahead..
    Canada Goose is right about switchbacks...they don't exist from here north.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++