WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Graveyard Ridge

Default Graveyard Ridge

Looking Glass Overlook to Art Loab Trail.
    Awesome trail with couple of nice climbs. At Yellowstone falls there is camping in 4-5 different spots. The trail leads up to a great ridge walk along Graveyard Ridge. The views are awesome all along the ridge and some good climbs up. After the intersection of the M2Sea and Graveyard Fields the trail jumps up to a really awesome ledge that looks out over Pisgah. Made it to the Art Loab Trail and turned back and hit teh Graveyard Ridge trail which is flat and has good views but I liked the M2Sea side of the trail better. Some water is available but it had just rained so I dont know how it would be. Some great spots to camp including the ledge before the Art Loab Trail. I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Images

This is one of my mecca trips (one I do every year). Except I take the graveyard ridge trail to Cold mtn.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I did a similar hike many years ago when I was in high school. I hiked up the Case Camp Trail from Hwy.276 to near Graveyard Ridge overlook, then up to Ivestor Gap, into Shining Rock, and finally down the Greasy Prong Cove Trail to Hwy.276 at Big East Fork parking lot.....in the middle of winter. Great memories.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

Going to Gaveyard Fields was my first bacpacking trip....if you could actually call it that.
    I bet I didn't even hike a mile before setting up camp. It felt like I had walked forever.
    I was thinking about heading up that way again.

It really made me appreciate the fact that this was a 20 min drive for me to get to this section of trail. i love it here!

I just did a similar (and absolutely beautiful hike).

Black Balsam Trailhead (Art Loeb Trail) >
    (R) immediately to MST >
    Descend to Graveyard Ridge intersection>
    (L) Ivestor Gap Trail >
    Ascend to Ivestor Gap >
    (L) Art Loeb Trail >
    Ascend summits of Tennett Mtn. and Black Balsam Mtn. >
    Descend & return to trailhead.

A couple of notes:
    - at times I was literally walking up a stream on some of the lower parts of the Ivestor Gap Trail. Water shouldn't be a problem for awhile.

- Another site has the mileage listed @ 6mi. I feel like it might be more. It took me 4 hours and I tend to average alot faster than that. The only somewhat challenging section was the ascent up Tennett Mtn.

- Way way way too many people with gallons upon gallons of containers picking blueberries. Off the trails, trampling all over the mountainsides, being extremely loud. Someone correct me if I'm wrong....isn't it illegal to pick berries and carry large containers of them out of the PNF?

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its the same thing on Roan. But I don't really remember a rule about the amount of berries that can be picked. But cutting any bush or tree on NF lands carries a fine.

I just pick them and eat as I hike.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Yup, love the area. Son and I did the Balsam mtn, Tenet mtn, Investor Gap, Greasy Cove (a real knee killer going down!) up the trail that connects Greasy Cove to the MTS/Graveyard Ridge and back to Balsam in June.

Yea we camped last week at Yellowstone Falls, great waterfront camping with sooooooo many swimmin holes and private swimmin holes

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Yea we camped last week at Yellowstone Falls, great waterfront camping with sooooooo many swimmin holes and private swimmin holes
    Walked to Upper and Second Falls. I was told rangers will fine you if you travel down to Yellowstone falls. Even though I dont really listen when it comes to waterfall hunting.

The day I went, a number of rangers were patrolling the trails and working on the Second Falls platform, and all I got was, "there was no trail down to it. You have to view it from BRP." So I didn't want to chance climbing down to it.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Walked to Upper and Second Falls. I was told rangers will fine you if you travel down to Yellowstone falls. Even though I dont really listen when it comes to waterfall hunting.

The day I went, a number of rangers were patrolling the trails and working on the Second Falls platform, and all I got was, "there was no trail down to it. You have to view it from BRP." So I didn't want to chance climbing down to it.
    Uh the MST trail has a bridge that crosses the falls. We must be thinking of different falls. When you walk into the woods at 417 Looking Glass, the MST goes in and at about .5 miles in it goes down a stair case into the falls. Its very beautiful. I think you are talking about Second Falls?

Default benn there

I love the graveyard fields

You guys talking about this place

This waterfall?

Elmo

Quote Originally Posted by elmotoots View Post
    I love the graveyard fields

You guys talking about this place

This waterfall?

Elmo
    Very nice, yes that is tha place. Cant wait for fall!!!!

Default great

If your going in the fall you may see me because i am going in the fall and look at the fields from the other direction, from this point. Bet you been there huh?

I was all over those Mts last month, and am going again in the next couple of days

Images

I've got some dank winter pics from up there I'll have to post.

Deep in the woods on the Greasy Cove trail

Sorry, trying again

Images

I don't think yellowstone falls has the MST crossing it - look at the maps - yellowstone falls is off the trail a bit. Although the falls your talking about are quite fantastic for swimming

Yea I have been very impressed and am looking forward to getting on the Art Loab.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Uh the MST trail has a bridge that crosses the falls. We must be thinking of different falls. When you walk into the woods at 417 Looking Glass, the MST goes in and at about .5 miles in it goes down a stair case into the falls. Its very beautiful. I think you are talking about Second Falls?
    The falls you just described is Skinny Dip Falls.

To my knowledge there is no official trail to Yellowstone Falls, though if you want to get there you will be on the MST before descending to the falls.

http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/graveyard_fields1.htm

I doubt there would be any basis for a fine for hiking there. I'd like to hear an official word on that but it wouldn't stop me from going.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++