WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default An experience with Uncle Johnny's hostel this past weekend

This weekend, my wife and I drove up to Erwin to hike from Devil's Fork Gap back to Nolichucky River. I arranged the shuttle to Devil's Fork Gap with Uncle Johnny's for 7:00 AM Friday morning.

Friday morning, on the way to Uncle Johnny's, I hit a rock in the road and blew out the side of my tire. Long story short, I put on the temporary spare and we drove in to Uncle Johnny's about 20 minutes late for our shuttle.

The shuttle driver, and another family who had also had a 7:00 AM shuttle were still there, waiting for us. I explained our situation and basically said we were going to have to delay our hike until I could get a new tire because we were over 400 miles from home and if we started our hike as scheduled we wouldn't finish until Sunday and there's no place to get a tire on Sunday .... I didn't want to risk driving 400 miles on a temporary spare. We couldn't extend our trip an extra day because our youngest son was staying with a friend and we needed to get home on Sunday...

The shuttle driver told me I could leave my truck key with him and that he would get me a tire and have it put on before we finished our hike so that we could go ahead and start our hike on time. I agreed, left him my keys and off we went.

We finished a day early, and when we came out of the woods Saturday evening there was my truck, with a brand new tire ready to go. They gave me the receipt from the tire place and charged me a $5 fee for handling it.

I've used Uncle Johnny's for shuttles at least a half dozen times and have never had a bad experience but the way they handled my tire and basically saved our hike, was really stellar service in my opinion. 2 thumbs up for UJ's!

footnote: after we had left on our shuttle, my wife remembered that she left her engagement ring (a rather large diamond) and gold necklace in the console and her purse behind the passenger seat. Everything was still there when we got back....

Images

Good report. Uncle Johnny took good care of me last year also.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I've stayed there 4 times over the years. Always had a great time.

Images

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing such a positive report.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Thanks for sharing that.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

They were very accommodating for our shuttle in '07.

Nice to hear.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Not surprised. I've always had great service when dealing w/ Unky J's hostel.

Images

Great crew there!

Images

This story does not surprise me at all.

I stayed there a total of 3 nights (1 at each end of a zero & 1 after the end ofmy hike) a few years ago, was treated GREAT the entire time.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Great crew there!
    Yeah weren't they wondering if you were going to make it your permeant address when you came through? How many days was it? Every 100th customer gets a free puppy.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    This weekend, my wife and I drove up to Erwin to hike from Devil's Fork Gap back to Nolichucky River. I arranged the shuttle to Devil's Fork Gap with Uncle Johnny's for 7:00 AM Friday morning.

Friday morning, on the way to Uncle Johnny's, I hit a rock in the road and blew out the side of my tire. Long story short, I put on the temporary spare and we drove in to Uncle Johnny's about 20 minutes late for our shuttle.

The shuttle driver, and another family who had also had a 7:00 AM shuttle were still there, waiting for us. I explained our situation and basically said we were going to have to delay our hike until I could get a new tire because we were over 400 miles from home and if we started our hike as scheduled we wouldn't finish until Sunday and there's no place to get a tire on Sunday .... I didn't want to risk driving 400 miles on a temporary spare. We couldn't extend our trip an extra day because our youngest son was staying with a friend and we needed to get home on Sunday...

The shuttle driver told me I could leave my truck key with him and that he would get me a tire and have it put on before we finished our hike so that we could go ahead and start our hike on time. I agreed, left him my keys and off we went.

We finished a day early, and when we came out of the woods Saturday evening there was my truck, with a brand new tire ready to go. They gave me the receipt from the tire place and charged me a $5 fee for handling it.

I've used Uncle Johnny's for shuttles at least a half dozen times and have never had a bad experience but the way they handled my tire and basically saved our hike, was really stellar service in my opinion. 2 thumbs up for UJ's!

footnote: after we had left on our shuttle, my wife remembered that she left her engagement ring (a rather large diamond) and gold necklace in the console and her purse behind the passenger seat. Everything was still there when we got back....
    My kids and I are the referenced "family." Our experience with Uncle Johnny's was equally great. My daughter caught a cold when were were two days out of Uncle Johnny's. We called for ride from the trail and they quickly picked us up. We then took a zero at Uncle Johnny's. Uncle Johnny himself was on vacation, but Loadbearing, Firefox and the rest of the crew running the place were wonderful. Truly a great group of people.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just dad View Post
    My kids and I are the referenced "family." Our experience with Uncle Johnny's was equally great. My daughter caught a cold when were were two days out of Uncle Johnny's. We called for ride from the trail and they quickly picked us up. We then took a zero at Uncle Johnny's. Uncle Johnny himself was on vacation, but Loadbearing, Firefox and the rest of the crew running the place were wonderful. Truly a great group of people.
    Dang small world.. I remember you too.

Images

John is a good guy I have stayed there many times . Several years ago on a section hike I had a early morning shuttle John showed up on time although one of his favorite dogs had just been killed by a hit and run driver -John had his little buddy wrapped in a blanket in the back of the van John and I both shed a few tears that morning on the way to the trailhead-we both said a prayer for his buddy

Hillbilly

Images

I had a great time with the folks there in '08 despite being sick.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Got a shuttle from UJ this past Friday. Could not have been happier. Courteous and on time, fairly priced. Third time they have shuttled me and strongly recommend them.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Glad it worked out well, 10-K. You may remember me as well; we met at the Doyle one July 4 several years ago. I'm planning to a long southbound section starting in Damascus this spring, and Uncle Johnny's is now on my A-list for places to stop.

the original poster said they provided "stellar service" in having his tire fixed...I'd have to disagree...that is way beyond
    "service" of any sort. That was a favor or kindness! It seems that the trail can bring out the best in people, so as hiker's
    we should be mindful and thankful for this!

DougN

We stayed there in 13 and were treated well. Good folks.

I guess what goes around comes around.

Tom, you may recall two years ago that I was twenty minutes late, myself, when you were shuttling me from Hot Springs to Damascus (I messed up trying to negotiate a detour between Newport TN and Hot Springs). You were very understanding about it and I really enjoyed the drive to Damascus with you. Luckily my Subaru didn't have any tire troubles.

And by the way, I stayed at Uncle Johnny's during that section hike and had a good experience.

Edit: I wonder if this experience back in 2010 influenced your decision to move to Erwin and shuttle hikers yourself!
    Last edited by map man; 03-22-2015 at 18:24.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++