WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Strickland View Post
    No, Carl, I haven't been on a trail since a short 33 miler last November. Been looking after two old women. My mother and my wife.
    All best wishes to you and thanks again for the support you've shown me.

bobcat
    thats one thing i learned when out in the woods never leave food in your tent our around you when you go to sleep i always!! put my food up in a tree
    well away from my camp because i was afraid something might get it like bigfoot
    or some mountain monster he he!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Be thankful you weren't the hiker that had to be rescued south of Vandaventer
    what happenned there?

Quote Originally Posted by toegem View Post
    Wow! I'm glad to hear you all are alright, nothing like having to worry about a bear ripping throught the side of your tent in the middle of the night. Now the bear probably knows where there is a tent there could be food. I would not be least bit surprised if they hunt the bear down and destroy it, yanking a bag down from a pole or out of a tree is one thing, it's a totally different story when they invade your sleeping place.
    you might not have been serious, but the sad thing is that you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Why not catch and relocate the people who sleep with food in their tents? Cut the bears some slack and tranquilize and radio tag the food-in-tent crowd.

I just got thru reading a good book by Nick Jans called THE GRIZZLY MAZE and here's some bear facts:

** Grizzlies are by far more dangerous than black bears.
    ** Grizzlies zealously defend a carcass or their food, black bears do not.
    ** "If a black bear commits to an all-out attack, it probably means to eat you, while a grizzly generally is going to slap you around and then retreat". NICK JANS
    ** Predatory black bear attacks tend to occur in broad daylight and seldom in a camp situation while grizzly predation usually happens at night and in camp.
    ** "Female black bears with cubs aren't likely to attack and maul in defense of their offspring". NICK JANS. Grizzlies are a direct opposite.

NICK JANS Recommendations
    ** Make noise while moving.
    ** Hike in groups.
    ** Never keep food in your tent. "It's crazy", Jans says.

What about the human overpopulation in the southeast? How many is too many for the support-habitat area?
    you're exactly right!

Di-Tryn
    Images

I hiked from Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap this past Sunday and Monday. I came across 5 black bear, 2 of which were mama's with their cubs, and 1 was by itself just past Blue Mnt shelter. None of them posed me any threat. I actually was pretty close to the cubs, maybe 20 yards, took some pictures and went on my way. The mama's seemed concerned but didn't necessarily seem threatened by my presence. The last one I saw was huge and facing away from me when I came up on it, maybe 20 feet away (wind was blowing hard so I guess that's why it didn't hear me). When it turned around and saw me, it bolted.

Di-Tryn
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by toccoaspinner View Post
    I hiked from Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap this past Sunday and Monday. I came across 5 black bear, 2 of which were mama's with their cubs, and 1 was by itself just past Blue Mnt shelter. None of them posed me any threat. I actually was pretty close to the cubs, maybe 20 yards, took some pictures and went on my way. The mama's seemed concerned but didn't necessarily seem threatened by my presence. The last one I saw was huge and facing away from me when I came up on it, maybe 20 feet away (wind was blowing hard so I guess that's why it didn't hear me). When it turned around and saw me, it bolted.

Great fotogs. I've seen around 14 bears in the last few years while out backpacking, but only on my last trip did I have the opportunity to photograph one. I saw a mother with 3 cubs and pulled out the old Sony Cybershot and took some poor quality video of the encounter. Below is a still of one of the young uns. I was shouting out useless words to let the mom know about my whereabouts(the natural tendency is to get stock still and quiet), and after one little yell a cub ran directly towards like I was his dead-beat Dad.

I was out this past weekend and saw 6 bears together south of Iron Mtn Shelter - 3 adults and 3 cubs. I was crouched down watching one mother and two cubs when the other three walked up behind me within 15 feet. I guess my scent was knocked down with all the rain. I don't know who was more surprised - I stood up and the three beat it down the ridge!!!

Di-Tryn
    Images

Seeing them was a real treat. Until this past Sunday, I had never seen a bear in my life.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by little bear View Post
    yeah for 6 years, I have always sleep with my food.....NOT anymore........
    I do when my dog is with me. When not, I hang PCT style. If done correctly, a bear needs thumbs to get the bag. The big if is picking the right size tree and limb.

Until two years ago, I NEVER hung my food. But I had the same (I think) bear come into camp three nights running. He stole a lot of people's food that section. Some of it even hung up.

Smart bear, though. He was afraid of my hound. She's mostly harmless, but if anyone or anything is coming at me when I'm laying down, she goes nuts. I love that.

Oh yeah: she also carries a gun, a phone and a sword.
    Just hike.

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    Wait, who invaded who's space? People invade the bears place. The bear was just being a bear, the food was left in a bad spot...
    I couldn't agree more. Bears are bears and will do what bears do. Check out Bear.org for some very interesting studys and observatoins of black bears.

Bears, Bear's, Bears'. '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Ok, I've used enough 's that no one needs to use them again.
    Bears = More than one bear.
    Bear's = Something belonging to a bear.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Strickland View Post
    Have you guys ever thought of taking firecrackers? The time I shot one near a bear, he made a new trail through the woods, fast. Jakebrake
    The researchers at the Bear Center in Ely MN recommend shaking a black trash bag at a bear that won't scare off by other means. It's the unexpected behaviors that scare them. They may get accustom to banging pots etc.

Default Future Darwin Award

I just read a post about a guy sleeping with his food and he was surprised a bear ripped it from his tent. After all the literature about hanging food in the woods. That is sure to be a future darwin award winner... so my question is does anyone else know of any other future Darwin Awards on the AT that you have seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    isolated incident. i'll still sleep with my food
    agreed. its situational. camp in the right spot (ie-not in established camp sites) and seal your food correctly and youre good 99% pf the time.

Images

As a matter of practice I always hang my food bag-bears become habituated if they associate a tent with food--- guess what happens to the next guy down the trail in a tent-- be a good steward and hang your food bag --takes a few minutes and may save someone's life later on including the bears

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++