WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Bear warning in the south

Im posting this to let everyone know that if you are camping in areas that see alot of foot traffic, bear's are lurking. Had my food bag ripped out of my tent this morning as it layed 2 inches from my head. i always keep my food with me in my tent, but will not do that again. The incident was at Watauga Lake, which is a landfill for the local campers. Be safe out there

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Had my food bag ripped out of my tent this morning as it layed 2 inches from my head.
    Very glad to hear you're going to stop keeping your food there. Bears learn faster than humans.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Im posting this to let everyone know that if you are camping in areas that see alot of foot traffic, bear's are lurking. Had my food bag ripped out of my tent this morning as it layed 2 inches from my head. i always keep my food with me in my tent, but will not do that again. The incident was at Watauga Lake, which is a landfill for the local campers. Be safe out there
    Not until that happens to Lone Wolf will he not sleep with his food bag.
    Did the bear just rip through your tent ? Are you OK ?

Images

I'd be curious to know what was in the bag, just to get a better idea of what the bear was capable of sensing in route to your bag.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

isolated incident. i'll still sleep with my food

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    .......i'll still sleep with my food
    Does that make Gypsy jealous at all?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Where were you camped?
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific Tortuga View Post
    yeah the bear targeted the corner where the food bag was. Chaco was using it as a pillow and had rolled off it. yeah he is ok, we were scared because the bear was about 15 yards away, stalking us. the bear just circled us the whole time we were packing up.

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I'd be curious to know what was in the bag, just to get a better idea of what the bear was capable of sensing in route to your bag.
    pasta dinners, bagles, breakfast stuff, just the normal hiker food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Where were you camped?
    we were a mile in from US 321 camping right on the lake, just past the metal gate.

it was stupid on mine and Chacos part, when we walked up about 100 yards, south of where we camped there was all kinds of trash where boaters and locals must hang out. we should have probably not camped there. but I learned my lesson, im not sleeping with my food anymore. We called the ATC and reported it, and they told us that there is a big increase in bear activity. heart pounding, fast packing at 245 am............
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

He bit through the tent pole and the whole corner and ripped it all out.

Im fine, going back out but will hang my food tonite and tomorrow.

Yes it was isolated but it was from me and Little Bear not being smart. What we should have done was keep hiking to the shelter but I aint gonna speculate on what we should have done. It wasnt the bears fault, it was ours. Ill def use my head next time especially at the peak of bear season, that is if the bear doesnt get it first.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by little bear View Post
    yeah the bear targeted the corner where the food bag was. Chaco was using it as a pillow and had rolled off it. yeah he is ok, we were scared because the bear was about 15 yards away, stalking us. the bear just circled us the whole time we were packing up.

pasta dinners, bagles, breakfast stuff, just the normal hiker food.

we were a mile in from US 321 camping right on the lake, just past the metal gate.

it was stupid on mine and Chacos part, when we walked up about 100 yards, south of where we camped there was all kinds of trash where boaters and locals must hang out. we should have probably not camped there. but I learned my lesson, im not sleeping with my food anymore. We called the ATC and reported it, and they told us that there is a big increase in bear activity. heart pounding, fast packing at 245 am............
    My hiking club, TEHCC, is taking a bunch of college freshman from Appy State in at that access gate to work on some relocations later this month.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Images

i stayed at watauga lake shelter about two weeks ago. there is indeed a bear around there that is not at all afraid of humans. the said bear came right up to the shelter area within 10 or 15 feet(twice!). clapping and yelling didn't work so well as to scare the bear, so we resorted to banging a shovel on a rock. the bear left, but didn't seem to upset with all the noise?! be careful down there!

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah,im glade both of you are safe and Ok too.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

This is the ninth incident of this type I've heard about this year - all in North GA, NC and TN. While I usually keep my food in my tent, I wouldn't do it this year on the east coast. The combo of drought plus two mild winters has lead to a situation where more young bears survived the winters and less natural food is available to feed them. They are hungry and the competition for food is fierce this year - fierce enough to take the risk of raiding human campsites.

I'm on record at this site as saying bear-bagging isn't necessary and normally it isn't. But this year is different - please bear-bag your food this year so the bears don't start learning that backpackers' tents equal an easy meal. That would endanger both the bears and backpackers / hikers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Be thankful you weren't the hiker that had to be rescued south of Vandaventer
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Images

Thanks, for the heads up guys. Glad you're okay.
    They'll probably relocate that bear up to Damascus to learn some manners.

He bit through the tent pole and the whole corner and ripped it all out.

Im fine, going back out but will hang my food tonite and tomorrow.

Yes it was isolated but it was from me and Little Bear not being smart. What we should have done was keep hiking to the shelter but I aint gonna speculate on what we should have done. It wasnt the bears fault, it was ours. Ill def use my head next time especially at the peak of bear season, that is if the bear doesnt get it first.
    what good is hiking to a shelter? perfect place to attract bears and such

Images

Wow! I'm glad to hear you all are alright, nothing like having to worry about a bear ripping throught the side of your tent in the middle of the night. Now the bear probably knows where there is a tent there could be food. I would not be least bit surprised if they hunt the bear down and destroy it, yanking a bag down from a pole or out of a tree is one thing, it's a totally different story when they invade your sleeping place.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by toegem View Post
    I would not be least bit surprised if they hunt the bear down and destroy it, yanking a bag down from a pole or out of a tree is one thing, it's a totally different story when they invade your sleeping place.
    Wait, who invaded who's space? People invade the bears place. The bear was just being a bear, the food was left in a bad spot...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    Wait, who invaded who's space? People invade the bears place. The bear was just being a bear, the food was left in a bad spot...
    Touche` you are correct read between the lines, I was being total facetious.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Images

Yeah, heard about your close encounter of the worst kind from Little Bear on FB. My question was, why was a guy who did an AT thru last year sleeping with food (LW's bad habbit aside!)? It only takes one time to make a believer out of keeping food out of your tent, I guess! Glad you guys are OK and going back. Have fun, hang your food (ha,ha) and enjoy!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++