WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Default New report identifies DEET as a neurotoxin to humans

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0804193230.htm

ScienceDaily (Aug. 6, 2009) — The active ingredient in many insect repellents, deet, has been found to be toxic to the central nervous system. Researchers say that more investigations are urgently needed to confirm or dismiss any potential neurotoxicity to humans, especially when deet-based repellents are used in combination with other neurotoxic insecticides.

Vincent Corbel from the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement in Montpellier, and Bruno Lapied from the University of Angers, France, led a team of researchers who investigated the mode of action and toxicity of deet (N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide). Corbel said, "We've found that deet is not simply a behavior-modifying chemical but also inhibits the activity of a key central nervous system enzyme, acetycholinesterase, in both insects and mammals".

Discovered in 1953, deet is still the most common ingredient in insect repellent preparations. It is effective against a broad spectrum of medically important pests, including mosquitoes. Despite its widespread use, controversies remain concerning both the identification of its target sites at the molecular level and its mechanism of action in insects. In a series of experiments, Corbel and his colleagues found that deet inhibits the acetylcholinesterase enzyme – the same mode of action used by organophosphate and carbamate insecticides.

These insecticides are often used in combination with deet, and the researchers also found that deet interacts with carbamate insecticides to increase their toxicity. Corbel concludes, "These findings question the safety of deet, particularly in combination with other chemicals, and they highlight the importance of a multidisciplinary approach to the development of safer insect repellents for use in public health"
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

I thought several governmental agencies and supposedly independent medical studies conducted by or affiliated with those profitting from the sale of DEET assured the public that DEET was entirely safe when used as directed.

Is it still too early to think they were simply wrong or, even worse, were engaged in somewhat dubious or deceitful business practices in the quest for profits? I have never been aware of anything possibly occurring like this before. I can't understand it. If it's good enough to be used by the American military it has to be safe for the public, right?

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I thought several governmental agencies and supposedly independent medical studies conducted by or affiliated with those profitting from the sale of DEET assured the public that DEET was entirely safe when used as directed.

Is it still too early to think they were simply wrong or, even worse, were engaged in somewhat dubious or deceitful business practices in the quest for profits? I have never been aware of anything possibly occurring like this before. I can't understand it. If it's good enough to be used by the American military it has to be safe for the public, right?

I liked the part where you were pretending to be a naive american.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I'm sure that once more research is in, the FDA will look to pull anything with DEET in it off the shelves. Can't have stuff that's bad for ya out there for public consumption, right? But I'm sure tobacco products will stay.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I am going to get a bigger basement I am not sure how much Deet I will be able to store down there next to my DDT and aresol spray cans.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    But I'm sure tobacco products will stay.
    Of Course! (link)

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Anything is bad for you in high enough concentrations... even pure water. The question is, how much DEET does it take to be dangerous to humans? Is it feasible that such an amount/concentration would be present to people using the product as directed? What is the risk/benefit ratio?

Unfortunately, such sensible questions are unlikely to be asked in the court of public opinion (or Congress). Words like "neurotoxin" create hysteria and lead to a knee-jerk reaction... loss of sales, or an outright ban. Reminds me of the story during the Alar scare, when a young mother called poison control and asked if the apple juice she'd been giving her baby could be poured down the toilet, or if she needed to take it to a toxic waste disposal site.

You have to remember, we've been using the stuff for over 50 years now, and it is still by far the most effective substance we have against biting insects. Weigh the number of people who've been sickened by DEET vs. the number of people who've been sickened by malaria, West Nile Virus, Lyme Disease, etc. It's true, if people *have* been sickened by DEET, the connection may not have been previously recognized. But still, it's a pretty big leap to say the cure is worse than the problem.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    But still, it's a pretty big leap to say the cure is worse than the problem.

Like that damn Rachel Carson! Screw the noisy birds and their soft-shell-eggs! Kill off the Skeeters! ::Bathes in DDT::

I never used deet.
    I always chose the headnet and long sleeve shirt option.
    I saw a guy the other day spraying deet all over his kids and even in their face.
    I said something to him and he of course didn't like it.

It makes sense to me that anything that's going to kill insects is not going to be good for me.

I've fired up Cintrinella candles already. That stuff is natural, OR built a fire to keep them at bay , deet is manufactured by man. I don't even like the smell.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Mousetraps are also manufactured by man, and kill mice, which are biologically much closer to us than insects are. You can hurt yourself with a mousetrap if you don't use it properly. Does that mean it should not be commercially available?

I don't like the smell either. But I like mosquito bites even less.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

If Deet caused neurotoxicity I would have died this weekend at shaker campsite in MA.

The skeeters were eating the deet...and breathing fire smoke. Notably they were 50 lbs each and the size of a large eagle...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I never used deet.
    I always chose the headnet and long sleeve shirt option.
    I saw a guy the other day spraying deet all over his kids and even in their face.
    I said something to him and he of course didn't like it.

It makes sense to me that anything that's going to kill insects is not going to be good for me.

I've fired up Cintrinella candles already. That stuff is natural, OR built a fire to keep them at bay , deet is manufactured by man. I don't even like the smell.

I agree with you on this there are natural insect repellents. I use SSS w/ some alcohol mixed in it about a 50/50 mix and it seems to work fine for me.

Images

i have different internal responses to this when i'm A) sitting at my computer in my AC home and B) when i'm out hiking...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If it won't kill you, it will make you stronger...

(from one who used DEET every day for nearly two months, and ALEVe and Advil every day for nearly six months)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I've concocted my own theory. Basically, I'm hoping that the deet, Agent Orange, DDT and a whole lot of other bad **** I've been exposed to cancel each other out.

Images

I stopped using deet a while ago when it melted the plastic on my watch.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I've concocted my own theory. Basically, I'm hoping that the deet, Agent Orange, DDT and a whole lot of other bad **** I've been exposed to cancel each other out.
    Sounds like the Three Stooges Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Sounds like the Three Stooges Syndrome
    Yes, it is and there is a lot of folks walking around who have been exposed to multiple forms of bad ****. Do you remember when the VA used to put radioactive stuff next to healthy organs in the 50s and early 60s to determine if an atomic war was survivable? All they concluded was that different people have a different tolerance to bad ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Like that damn Rachel Carson! Screw the noisy birds and their soft-shell-eggs! Kill off the Skeeters! ::Bathes in DDT::
    That made me laugh.

And NO KIDDING. The stuff melts plastic! Go ahead and use it if you're o.k. with that being absorbed by your skin... personally, I'll pass.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++