WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommendation for Trail Running Shoes?

I currently have a pair of New Balance 805 AT shoes that I've enjoyed for hiking, but now I need a new pair of trail running shoes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer another pair of NB trail shoes, but I haven't been keeping up with the technology and design changes.

I'd like something that performs well on slippery rocks, so grippy soles are key. My biggest fear when hiking is slippery rocks!!

Thanks!

Images

I backpack in NB 855 running shoes. My pack weight ranges between 20 to 30 lbs. I have no more trouble slipping/falling in rocky/wet conditions, than when I do wearing boots. They are on-sale at the following link---http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.65391/catImage.False/dept_id.L2~361/qx/product.htm
    These are a very comfortable and light-weight shoe. I have logged close to 300 miles backpaking with one pair of these shoes. One day I covered 20 miles with 11 wet fords, no blisters, with pack. I highly recommend this shoe.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Sandals?

I may be wrong I am not sure that any sole grips well upon slime-covered slippery rocks.

At least consider some brand of trail sandals, though, like teva Wraptors or Chacos. They give my feet an agility I never found with boots or even the NB 805's you mentioned.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default A.T. shoes

i dont care what kinda technology you have....if a rock is slippery...your butt is going down! hehehehehehe

i walk/hike in NB 805s..but i backpack in Vasque Sundowner MX2 boots!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

My last pair were NB 805's. Now I went to Salomon XA Pro shoes and like them alot. The toebox has more room than the NB 805's which I appreciate.

Images

I hike and like NB 805's but I LOVED the Vasque Velocitys. Check em out. Hike from the NOC to Port Clinton PA in them (1100 miles). They were light, comfy and dried out welll. Had excellent tredding and I hardly remember falling compared to every other shoes I've used including the 805 (which has pretty cruddy tredding IM0). Good luck
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default lightweight trail shoes

I tried the Vasque Vapor shoes for the first time this year. My size 7.5s weigh only 1 pound, 6 oz. They do run small, order one full size larger. They dry fast. I never had any problems with blisters or hot spots. I thought the support was very good. I bought these on sale at Sierra for $30. I own five pairs of hiking shoes...these are the ones I always reach for.

North Face Ultra 102's. I have tried both the Gore Tex and the non-Gore Tex versions. These tend to be more durable and have more toe protection than most trail runners. They are pricy shoes so I now get them on Ebay. They run small so order at least 1/2 size up. However, a caution about shoes is that everyone's foot is different! Try a few out in the stores and see which fit best for YOU.

i like the montrail TRS Comp speed hiking-trail running shoes...

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i like the nike basic running shoe, no idea what its called, that i can get at just about any store for $40.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

my trusty 5 year-old pair after a 100 degree trail run during mid-afternoon heat along a dry river bed. i dont know that i'll be doing that anytime again soon. the soles are completely gone...ive long ripped the rubber 1/8" thick sole off and have been running on the foam bed for years now.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jcartn...38.jpg&.src=ph
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

I used a pair of Merrell Mesa Ventilators for the last 2,000 miles of my thru-hike. They were in really bad shape at the end, granted... But they were excellent shoes.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocket04
    I used a pair of Merrell Mesa Ventilators for the last 2,000 miles of my thru-hike. They were in really bad shape at the end, granted... But they were excellent shoes.
    Those are what I currently use. They fit my heel really good and have enough room in the toe box. They seem to be holding up well and the vibram soles should last. I am getting ready to get a second pair to start breaking in for my thru. They have a high top version too so I'll probably get those for the rocky parts as well.

BTW... They are not really a pure trail running shoe but more of a cross between running/hiking, IMO.
    Last edited by Heater; 08-11-2005 at 10:11. Reason: BTW...

GA-ME-04
    Images

Montrail Hardrocks are some good shoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    i like the nike basic running shoe, no idea what its called, that i can get at just about any store for $40.
    Agreed, I have hundreds of trail miles on Nike Air Pegasus running shoes. I have tried NB and Merrill trail runners and can't tell they do anything more than regular running shoes for me.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

montrail vitasse trail runners suck neo

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

I have a pair of Nike Air Assails. Very comfortable but they were trashed in less than a year of light use. I still tried to get another pair for work because they were so comfy and breathed so well. By the time I got around to it they were discontinued.

Bummer. Don't you just hate it when that happens.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates

Nike Air Pegasus perhaps? On sale/clearence they are often $40. They are the Honda Accord of the running shoe world: reliable, no frills, good shoes. It was what I started using onteh PCT in the desert and it is my running and hiking shoe of choice.

One things to keep in mind about trail/running shoes is if you over/under pronate.

I severely over pronate to the point that the inside of sneakers wear out before the soles.

Many running stores (which also sell trail runners) will do a free analysis of your gait. Some shoes are better for over pronators, some better for under pronators, some are best for a nuetral stride.

If you are spending hundreds of miles in a shoe, it is probably worth your time to get a shoes and insert combo that works for your gait.

(Over pronate: foot strikes to the inside, Under pronate: the reverse!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Agreed, I have hundreds of trail miles on Nike Air Pegasus running shoes. I have tried NB and Merrill trail runners and can't tell they do anything more than regular running shoes for me.

We both have good taste it seems.

http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/agg
    http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsct04/aaf
    http://gallery.backcountry.net/maroonbells05/aai
    http://gallery.backcountry.net/magsmisc/aal

Mags - who is on at least my 10th pair or Nike Air Pegs
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Default Trail Shoes

I have been using Brooks Tresspass 2 thru the White Mnts. and on Maine Mnts. They are super comfy and grip awesome on steep rocks. They dry fast too. I think I paid 60 bucks for them . Planning on using them from Vermont to Damascus on my 2006 SOBO thru hike. It doesnt seem like they would hold up to a continuous walk thru New England though...

skinny d

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++