WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Harper's Ferry - PenMar

My plan is to leave my car at in H.F. and get a ride/shuttle to PenMar line probably the weekend after Labor Day weekend.

1. Where is the best/safest place to leave my car in Harper's Ferry and is there a parking fee?

2. Does anyone know of a reasonable shuttle service that will take at least 2 hikers from H.F. to the PenMar line?

3. What is the water situation on this stretch of AT?

Images

I did pay a fee but left my car at the Visitor center parking lot they have an area for hikers to leave cars and it's a good safe spot. the down side is that the lot is locked after hours so you have to make sure that you get there during the right time.

Another time a car was left at the Hostel just north of HF. Depends on who you talk to and how busy they are if they will let you leave one there or not they also charge for this. They might know about a shuttle or perhaps they even do them.

I understand that you can park at the train station for 6$ for up to 2 weeks-I will be going next week and I'm not positive where to park either. It seems like a nice enough little town so I expect anywhere will be a safe place to leave a car.

I've stayed at the crampton gap and pine knob shelters - both had good water sources piped from natural springs next to the shelter (I purified it to be safe). I guess the flow of the springs is variable so its a good idea to call the rangers in nearby parks (south mountain, gambrill, washington monument) to see how the springs are flowing.
    With that said - there are about 4 "reliable" (safe for human consumption) water sources throughout the MD section. I've used the spigot at washington monument sp - its right next to the trail. I imagine that all of the state parks have good water sources somewhere.
    None of the trail is too far away from civilization- I think you'll see buildings and roads every day so you cant be too far from a good water source.

Images

water is great in that area was there last week plus we had more rain, all the springs are flowing...there are a few folks here (WB) that live in Harpers Ferry for a beer or so might give you a ride to Pen Mar. I don't know if the outfitter in Harpers Ferry has a shuttle service or not. My wife drops me off and I hike until she comes and picks me up, got to keep the little women busy...
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

GA-ME 2011
    Images

You can park at Pen Mar for free and go south. Good, safe parking across from the park entrance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    You can park at Pen Mar for free and go south. Good, safe parking across from the park entrance.
    I parked in that lot across from the park in Pen Mar and my car was totally safe. I was then shuttled to Harpers Ferry about 1 hour away by Bill Reinke (sp?) and hiked north. He and his wife are listed with ATC as a shuttle service. They are wonderful people.

By the way, I think I have COWHEAD to thank for the parking at Pen Mar information.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

For info on shuttles, I'd either call the Outfitter in HF; or I'd contact the ATC office there. Also, if you look at the ATC's website (www.appalachiantrail.org) they have a detailed state-by-state listing of reliable shuttlers. Check the West Virginia, Maryland, and PA listings.

I’m going from Pen Mar to HF Starting Monday Aug 24th. Doing it solo, everyone backed out on me.
    I found a list of shuttles here:
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site..._the_Trail.htm
    As for water, 3weekes ago I went from I-70 north, every water source marked on the PATC topo map was running well.

I left my car in the national park parking lot and that was a good move. I had the shuttle guy pick me up there and when I hiked back into HF, I took the free bus up to the parking lot and got my vehicle.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    I parked in that lot across from the park in Pen Mar and my car was totally safe. I was then shuttled to Harpers Ferry about 1 hour away by Bill Reinke (sp?) and hiked north. He and his wife are listed with ATC as a shuttle service. They are wonderful people.

By the way, I think I have COWHEAD to thank for the parking at Pen Mar information.
    your welcome

Yes I going to park there in Oct in Head to Dunccanon PA for my fall hike, I can't wait to do another 80+miles
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

Images

yep in the three times I have been parked in PenMar never had a problem even the time i thought i had locked the car but mistakenly had unlocked it! oops my bad!

Images

I have also left my truck a @ PenMar for overnight to 3 nights out and had no issues....

Images

I had no problems leaving my car in Pen Mar for 3 nights in July. The only water source that was dry between Pen Mar > Harpers was the spring at the Crampton Gap Shelter. There is a water pump at Gathland St. Park about 1.5 miles south of Crampton Gap. This was a month ago so I don't know if the spring at Crampton Gap is any better now...

Images

I'm hoping to do this section this fall. Is it realistic to plan on completing it in 2-3 days of hiking? I averaged about 16 miles /day when I did the Springer - Deep Gap, NC section in June.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by UHFox View Post
    I'm hoping to do this section this fall. Is it realistic to plan on completing it in 2-3 days of hiking? I averaged about 16 miles /day when I did the Springer - Deep Gap, NC section in June.
    yes it's doable, but sunlight is fading so you won't have full days to hike, the are some folks who do it in a day aka 3-state challege enjoy your hike in MD
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

I just did Penmar-Harpers Ferry 3 1/2 days so 3 is realistic. I got water at Little Antitem Creek,Pogo, Washington Monument, Dahgren, Gathland. camped at Pogo, Dalgren(showers)& Garvey. Sign in front of Crampton said no water but half mile later at Gathland they have hand pump. Water a Garvey is .4 mile down a steep hill.

Images

I parked on the street that runs next to the ATC Headquarters in HF. The folks inside said it would be fine to use the lot out back but it was full so they said the street should be okay - and it was!
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

++ New Posts ++