WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Snot 'n' Piss (S'n'P)

:banana Nobo flipping to maine this week--need guidance

Strider2 and I (Snot and Piss or SnP) have hiked from Georgia to Greenwood Lake, NY and are flying up to Bangor this Thursday to finish our hike southbound.

i am sure there is a thread on WB on the nuts and bolts of starting at Katahdin (i understand we need to make reservations at the camp sites but we can't stay two nights at one site, closest road to the foot of K, etc.) but i can't find it--any help you can offer would be most appreciated!

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

katahdin stream campsite is on the a.t.
    you might want to head into roaring brook/chimney pond side and hike over the knife edge and down to katahdin stream the first day then just head on south the next day. keep on keepin' on!!
    http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/

Images

check out this link;
    http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=45.90667,...0Katahdin%20ME

"a" being roaring brook then up helon taylor trail to knife edge, the over the summit and down to katahdin stream campsite or where ever there's an opening
    roll your mouse wheel to zoom, click and drag to move sideways, click on bar top right and choose the format you wish to see it in

Images

or you could head in at "abol camp" up the abol slide then down the A.T. to katahdin stream
    http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=45.88792,...0Katahdin%20ME

not sure what you want to do

Snot 'n' Piss (S'n'P)

thanks so much neighbor dave! we were planning on doing the Hunt Trail both ways...looking at BSP reservation site, it looks like we are SOL for campsites at Katahdin Stream--any suggestions?

Images

the name of the "thru-hiker" site slips my mind, would it not be possible to stay there, it's only about .3 from katahdin stream. hitch into the park, leave your packs at the ranger hut at katahdin stream go up and back then out of the park. i think there also could be cancelations the day you get to the entry gate. play it by ear.
    otherwise to hike up and down the hunt trail and out to abol bridge should be doable. there's camping there too."private campground" or the one across the street from the store;
    "A"= store area
    http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=45.87029,...0Katahdin%20ME

it's a busy time of year up there. gitter done!
    although all the rules and regs can be quite intimidating up there something will happen and it'll all work out. i meqan you could run into people heading in there that say, "hey you can crash at our site for the night"!! ya jus' never know. gitter done!

Snot 'n' Piss (S'n'P)

neighbor dave, you are thinking of the Birches...it's worth a shot! everything has worked out so far (as you reminded me)--just feeling a little overwhelmed with the rules, or more accurately, the logistics of getting it done.

Images

If you can't get a reservation at Katahdin Stream, try Abol Campground (BSP). You could summit from Abol Bridge with an early start, hike back to Abol Bridge via Blueberry Ledges Trail and stay at Abol Bridge Camprground or Abol Pines. The Birches is only for NOBOs who have completed the HMW.

Default A word of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    .... The Birches is only for NOBOs who have completed the HMW.
    A very wise man once told me, "Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask permission."
    Shutterbug

Images

Given why it was created, it would be proper to ask if there is space available and they might be willing to make an exception. There are alternatives and it's the responsibility of SOBOs to inform themselves and plan accordingly.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A couple we met had only hiked half the trail that same year and was still able to stay at the Birches to try for Katahdin the next day. I'd definitely ask at the ranger station for an exception. Probably depends on how many thrus are coming in now. Probably not a whole lot yet.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Snot 'n' Piss (S'n'P)

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Given why they were created, it would be proper to ask if there is space available and they might be willing to make an exception. There are alternatives and it's the responsibility of SOBOs to inform themselves and plan accordingly.

...which is what i am doing now! the flip is a very recent (a few days ago) development in my hike, and as i had not planned for it initially, i turned to the WB community for advice and guidance.

thank you all for your suggestions!

Images

Default BSP's website

Check out Thru-Hiking in Baxter State Park if you have not already. It may answer all of your questions.

There's quite a bit of information on their website. It's a lot to read, but almost any question you are apt to have will be answered.

The referral I provided by PM is for Maine-specific questions other than those related to Baxter State Park.

Given that time is of the essence, I'd call Baxter State Park Headquarters at (207) 723-5140 and get the information you need from them. I'm sure they can help you out.

++ New Posts ++