WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Want a new sleeping bag

Hi, I'm new to the site. I have been reading posts on WhiteBlazes for years and have finally signed up. I have learn a great deal from all that have posted. Well here my question. I am looking for a new sleeping bag (new or used). I have had a NF Aleutian BX 20degree and like the bag but not the weight. What should I buy? I usually backpack in late October on the AT around Erwin, TN. Thanks for any suggestions.

Images

Need a little help. What's the budget?

Some like Western Mountaineering, others Montbell or Feathered Friends. Theses are all upper tier manufacturers

Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Big Agnes, Go Lite and Sierra Designs are less expensive and good quality, but not upper tier
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

There are 373 threads about sleeping bags on WB. Use the search button to filter them out

This will link help you with user reviews

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...eeping%20Bags/
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I will check out those threads and the link. I'm still learning my way around the WB site. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the site! There are varied opinions on bags.....ask ten people you will get 20 answers! Egads is right on target with the budget question. I have a Campmor 20 degree and an REI 15 degree bag. Both are light, inexpensive and well made. I can't bring myself to spend huge dollars on a bag. Good luck!

Images

Like Egads asked, what is the budget. If not a problem, and you feel confident in your skills to be able to keep your bag dry while hiking, go for a Western Mountaineering or Montbell Ultralite Super Stretch. Cost some bucks, but should last for many many years. I really like my WM Ultralight, but also have a Montbell Super Stretch #0 that is VERY comfortable. For summer I use a WM Caribou. Probably can't go wrong with any of the brands Egads mentioned.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

i'm just as clueless abot gear sorry i cant help, but
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

I have been looking hard at the campmor 20 and the NF Cat's Meow. I would say the $100-$175 range. I have looked at sites like GearTrade for maybe a good used bag or a new with a blem.

Images

Either of those choices would be good. The Cat's Meow has been around for MANY years. Both have very good reputations as economy bags. I have no personal experience with them, but would not hesitate to recommend, based on other's evaluations. Another option, maybe slightly more expensive would be an REI sub Kilo. Good bags, light, but somewhat optimistically rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Need a little help. What's the budget?

Some like Western Mountaineering, others Montbell or Feathered Friends. Theses are all upper tier manufacturers

Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Big Agnes, Go Lite and Sierra Designs are less expensive and good quality, but not upper tier
    To even put mb in the upper tier with the others is not even right.F.F,W.M has over 20 yr's of service to happy hikers.MB has so many underfill bags out ....PLUS even if filled to spec,will the rubberband system last 20yrs.

Images

I have a Campmor 20 degree bag and a Campmor 0 degree bag. Both are light, inexpensive and well made. One or the other have kept me warm at night while camping from the GSMNP and south in November and March.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Passion Hiker 73 View Post
    I usually backpack in late October on the AT around Erwin, TN. Thanks for any suggestions.
    The average low in October is 46 deg. As far as I am concerned there is no need to buy an expensive bag.

I carry NF (insert laughter) allegeheny, square cut bag. It weighs approx. 2 1/2 pounds, but i like the extra room. I paid under $60.

Yes a Marmot pounder weighing 1#5 saves you 20 oz. (due to better materials and mummy cut) but you're also out an extra $110. Never mind going to an even better brand like FF which will cost you more than 3 bills.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by le loupe View Post
    The average low in October is 46 deg. As far as I am concerned there is no need to buy an expensive bag.

I carry NF (insert laughter) allegeheny, square cut bag. It weighs approx. 2 1/2 pounds, but i like the extra room. I paid under $60.

Yes a Marmot pounder weighing 1#5 saves you 20 oz. (due to better materials and mummy cut) but you're also out an extra $110. Never mind going to an even better brand like FF which will cost you more than 3 bills.
    Yea I've never really understood why WM was so special. I've got a few marmot down bags that I'm very pleased with. I've got a buddy with a Feather Freinds bag and it is unreal. They've got something there I'm just not sure what it is. My WM bag is definetly nice I just don't see what's that special about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Passion Hiker 73 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the site. I have been reading posts on WhiteBlazes for years and have finally signed up. I have learn a great deal from all that have posted. Well here my question. I am looking for a new sleeping bag (new or used). I have had a NF Aleutian BX 20degree and like the bag but not the weight. What should I buy? I usually backpack in late October on the AT around Erwin, TN. Thanks for any suggestions.
    you've mentioned your budget is 100-170. There are some other considerations when buying a bag:

1. the cut of the bag. some bags are cut tighter than others. they will hug you closer, reducing the space around you to heat up (sleeping bags work like an oven, so the tighter the cut, the more efficient, however if its too tight you compress the insulation, losing heat retaining ability- cold spots). This is a personal preference that you'll discover through experience (if you haven't already).

2. how often will you use it...how long do you expect the bag to last? if you use it a lot, you'll want one from a company that either has a reputation for high quality construction, or will repair natural wear at little or no cost. the bags you've mentioned fall into this category i believe. if you'll only use a few times a year, a cheaper quality may more worthwhile-just make sure to store it properly!

3. down vs. synthetic. another personal preference.

4. Your sleeping bag may be your last layer of defense against hypothermia. At temps you'll experience, it is still very easy to get hypothermic in a rain, freezing rain storm. Personally if i know the overnight temp will be in the 40's I'll take my 15* bag...just to be safe.

I use a Marmot Pinnacle 15*. Not a tight cut for me (and i have wide shoulders) allows me to move around inside just the way i like). 800+ down fill, bought on sale for $199. I see its considerably more now.....
    http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/MA1899

Here is another link to Spadout. Basically they scan the gear sites looking for the best deals.

http://www.spadout.com/c/sleeping-bags/

Hope that helps.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by le loupe View Post
    I'm not so sure about taking that advice, we usually see frost in Atlanta during October. A 40-50 deg bag may leave you cold. I agree about not needing to buy an expensive bag, but I'd get at least a 20 or 30 deg down bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I'm not so sure about taking that advice, we usually see frost in Atlanta during October. A 40-50 deg bag may leave you cold. I agree about not needing to buy an expensive bag, but I'd get at least a 20 or 30 deg down bag.
    average first frost for Knoxville (west of Erwin) is October 23. Georgia's is roughly the same, maybe a few days later on average.

Further, frost generally occurs in low lying areas not on slopes or elevation (surface temperature inversion). However, I'm sure its crisp regardless.

On the other hand, as he is hiking close to home and for short trips, he can have a measure of confidence in the weather and pack accordingly.

Well I purchased a Cat's Meow from "Mudcap" this morning. So the search is over. I read many reviews the past year or so and the reviews sound good. I'm heading to Eriwn the last week of Oct. for my fall hike and will give this bag the test. Thanks everyone for your advise.

++ New Posts ++