WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reality Check

Default Reality Check

Is it reasonable for an overweight 37 year old man with gout and possibly fibromyalgia, who has little more than car camping experience, no gear unless you count underwear, and gets winded after a 20 minute 1 mile walk, to prepare to walk from Western PA to Harrisburg where he will pick up the trail and walk through to Georgia starting in late September? September of 2009 that is. In less than a month he needs to obtain all of his gear and create his plan. Buying the gear will likely wipe out what money he has, so he'll have no reserve once he gets started. He does not plan to carry a phone, he thinks he can survive on a stock of power bars and whatever he gathers in the woods, eating 300 calories at lunch and 300 calories at dinner. I am not sure if he has thought about water needs yet.

Is it even mathematically possible for him to survive the trip?

If anyone can see how the math could work out, please post the breakdown.

This man is h-e-double-hockey-sticks bent on going. His loved ones can't convince him that this is not a wise decision and that there is by no stretch of the imagination anywhere near enough time for him to prepare to make the trip safely.

Images

Um, no he doesn't stand a chance. I'll leave it at that. I'm sure others will chime in on this one.

Images

Do I understand you correctly that he won't have any money to buy food?

If not he won't be on the trail long.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

NO way will he make it! A 100 pound female in good shape couldn't survive the trail on 600 calories. Hell, you can't survive regular life on 600 calories a day!

No way.

It doesn't bother me that he is inexperienced, overweight, and out of shape. All that can and will change as you hike.

The problem is no money and attempting to survive on a couple power bars a day and whatever he can forage. No way.

Get a job (or two) and save up for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMichael View Post
    Is it reasonable for an overweight 37 year old man with gout and possibly fibromyalgia, who has little more than car camping experience, no gear unless you count underwear, and gets winded after a 20 minute 1 mile walk, to prepare to walk from Western PA to Harrisburg where he will pick up the trail and walk through to Georgia starting in late September? September of 2009 that is. In less than a month he needs to obtain all of his gear and create his plan. Buying the gear will likely wipe out what money he has, so he'll have no reserve once he gets started. He does not plan to carry a phone, he thinks he can survive on a stock of power bars and whatever he gathers in the woods, eating 300 calories at lunch and 300 calories at dinner. I am not sure if he has thought about water needs yet.

This man is h-e-double-hockey-sticks bent on going. His loved ones can't convince him that this is not a wise decision and that there is by no stretch of the imagination anywhere near enough time for him to prepare to make the trip safely.
    Are you talking about the person who started this thread? If so, maybe you could let him tell us what his circumstances are? Gotta know how much money is on the table at least, because 600 calories a day won't cut it. The cell isn't necessary to make the trip at all.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

For starters, here in GA you are instructed NOT to forage for food. The natural food os for the animals. Hikers must pack it in and pack it out. So, if other states are the same, then his plans are illegal. Then there is the matter of him freezing to death...
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 08-24-2009 at 15:54.

Images

Fine, I'll stir the pot!

I saw a thru in 08 who was trying to hike the AT on $500. I don't know how far he made it, but he made it from Springer to New York at least. He raided hiker boxes, did work-for-stays, stayed a little extra here and there to build-up cash, and traded other thrus for food by doing town errands and the like. I do think it can be done on a very limited budget, sure as heck wouldn't be easy, but it can be done.

Course, my friend relied on the kindness of other hikers. He didn't beg and he always did something in exchange; not a free-loader by any means. The time-frame that your friend is talking about is going to be slim pickings because not all the hiker establishments will be open, the ones that are won't have as great of a need for work-for-stays, and there won't be many other hikers out there to help him when he does get in a bind.

Tell him to go north during the high season and he might stand a chance. The AT sobo, in the dead of winter, with no cash. No chance!
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

As far as I know he has been spending his discretionary funds on medical treatments. As far as I know he'll have two more paychecks one of which needs to pay his last month's rent unless he's planning to skip out on it and let the security deposit cover it. He has come to this site seeking advice. I'm guessing you might find his thread. So at least he isn't going at it without any thought, but I just don't see how after reading the articles he sees on this site that he can think he can do this. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonably harsh in my judgement that he can not do this now and should plan for it with a bit of rational thinking if he really wants to do it.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Since my previos post got Gator'd, I'll just say that his decision is very poorly thought out and probably not a very good one. I don't think he'll last very long at all.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Even though it is no longer here I appreciated its raw honesty. Too bad its gone.

Images

Something to think about: maybe it's not a good idea to be so specific about someone else's personal situation without their consent. Are you trying to help this person? When attempting to get unsolicited advice for someone who might not know they are the subject of a message board thread, it's probably a good idea to keep details to a minimum. My two cents, and it sounds like there has not been near enough physical, mental or financial preparation.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Unfortunately he has cut off all communication. I am worried he is about to embark on a death march and I am trying to help him really consider what he is about to do. I was hoping he might listen to all of you if he won't listen to us.

Unfortunately he has cut off all communication. I am worried he is about to embark on a death march and I am trying to help him really consider what he is about to do. I was hoping he might listen to all of you if he won't listen to us.
    Not to sound skeptical, oh BS, I am being skeptical, you have a total of 5 post. The first of which was the OP. You noted the said hiker in need to be 37. Your profile indicate you to be 37. Could it be that YOU are in need of this advise/counceling?

Bad plans are met with bad results. Even well thought out section hikes and thru hikes can have disastrous consequences.

600 calories is a good breakfast. Average hiker eats about 1.5-2lbs of food a day while hiking and consumes about 1 gallon of water per day.

Burning 4-5000 calories a day minimum, more in the cold of night during the fall and winter months....

Let him walk for a few weeks and pick him up, sore, tired, upset and frustrated.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Not enough info here to make constructive suggestions. Other than, "Just don't go."

If we knew what gear he will have, what (if any) health treatments he needs and would be missing if he went on this hike, and what $$$ will be available to him once he starts hiking (his own money plus any other help he may get from friends/family) that would help us give some more valuable advice.

First, what trails/roads will he walk from the Pittsburgh area to the Harrisburg area? Is it really necessary to do that? Can't he get a ride to the AT somewhere near Carlisle, PA?

Hiking SOBO from that AT entry point won't be too awfully tough. He can take it slow and steady while he builds trail legs. Sounds like he will need to anyway, given the health description.

If he has enough funds to last at least a month on the Trail he can get well below the Mason-Dixon Line before it gets consistently cold. At some point reality will set in and he will see that he can't go much further on (1) the funds available, (2) the three-season gear he is likely to have, or (3) his health issues at the time. At that point the question will be, "How does he get home?"

But if he has a way to get to the AT without walking there from Western PA, if he can do without his current doctor appointments, if he has decent enough gear to get him through to late October or beyond in the lower-elevation Mid-Atlantic, and if he has enough funds to get him ample resupply (a few Power Bars and foraging won't cut it very long) he might just be able to have a memorable AT adventure that boosts his health and morale. Those are a lot of ifs. He would still need an exit plan, which should be formulated in advance.

More details will probably yield better responses.

Images

Just let him go. It may be a horrible idea, but it sounds like no one will convince him of that. The worst thing that will happen is that he comes home beaten with his tail between his lags. Perhaps being chastened by reality is what he really needs, eh?

Images

As far as I know he has been spending his discretionary funds on medical treatments. . .
    Okay, so no substantial amount of money to resupply, and counting on foraging for the calories he'll need over the 600/day provided by power bars?

Can't say with absolute certainty, but I'll take bets he won't make it to Springer hiking the AT. Might be able to hitch hike, but highly unlikely he'll make it walking.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Trust me I am not seeking advice for myself but for a loved one. He has come here seeking advice under another thread. I am guessing no one took him seriously because he only has two posts, mine referring him to this thread and one other that suggested he ask more specific questions. He is in serious denial about his inability to make this trip with little preparation and little means. Anything anyone can do to help me convince him that this is not a wise decision I greatly appreciate. Unfortunately there is nothing else I can do to try to keep him from embarking on this journey.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Saint M. Sure it's possible, not a bit practical but possible IF he alters his plans. If alteration is not happening before he heads out it will need to happen rather quickly once this trek begins. It's best one know what's in the box before thinking outside it and he knows not at the moment, or he knows something we don't? Best of luck all around.

Oh. And say hello to the past relatives of mine, most I have never met.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++