WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: rawr

Default rawr

i am officially going to war, this morning while outside i moved a pair of gloves i left out over night and revealed the hiding spot of a 6 inch long baby garter snake, he took a long look at me the slithered off into the bushes. This is the third time he has sneaked up on me. this demon must be caught. was looking at traps online that have scent bait for snakes.. and after the snake wriggles inside it gets caught in a fly paper like glue coating the bottom of the trap i was thinking about setting out like 9 or 12 dozen of them..anyone have an idea on how much these cost?
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Journal Entries
    Images

OMG - Capt, you have baby garter snakes! you are an official Grand Daddy.

Guess what they are harmless and they eat mice..... best leave them all alone... If you catch them ship them to me. (free of course)

Yup Capt you're mad.

Nothing personal, always in fun one for all, and all for fun.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

good ole capt... garter snakes, come on! Guess we all knew about you. I heard your excuse for 08, what was it this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    good ole capt... garter snakes, come on! Guess we all knew about you. I heard your excuse for 08, what was it this year?
    coming down with a bad case of common sense syndrome
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

2010 complete

the snake is harmless, actually helpful Do me a favor and concentrate on the mice in the shelter. I thought that mice were nocturnal and didn't cherish their visibility during day stops at the shelter this year.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Garters are cute and friendly. They will eat your pests for you.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Garters are cute and friendly. They will eat your pests for you.

there is nothing friendly about a slimy predator that never blinks smelling you with its tongue and hiding under stuff you leave out all night

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    there is nothing friendly about a slimy predator that never blinks smelling you with its tongue and hiding under stuff you leave out all night
    could be worse. could be a copperhead or rattlesnake. I find copperheads on my property each year and definately take a lethal instrument to them.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    could be worse. could be a copperhead or rattlesnake. I find copperheads on my property each year and definately take a lethal instrument to them.

remind me never to visit

2010 complete

there are only two snakes that I don't like; dead ones and live ones.

C'mon Captain. It was a Garter snake. I suppose you also think the AT should be paved and be open to motorcycles and every black bear wants to harm you too? Turn off the TV, PLEASE! Embrace knowledge and wisdom NOT fear and ignorance. And, why all the hostility towards animals everyone? Isn't this their home too? Where is the respect for life and harmony among all creatures?

I remember a cool dark night when I was planting some shrubs into containers. As I reached into a big plastic bag to get a handful of soil I was startled to get a handful of something damp and hairy with claws and teeth. As it started to come alive and squirm around I stepped back thinking - what is it? Just then a baby oppossum, no bigger than my clenched fist, wriggled out from inside of the soil bag popping it's pink nose out looking just as startled as I was. It was just seeking a warm place to stay for the night. Don't we all want that? Nothing was attempting to threaten or harm me and I strongly doubt Captain the Garter smake was meaning you any harm either!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    C'mon Captain. It was a Garter snake. I suppose you also think the AT should be paved and be open to motorcycles and every black bear wants to harm you too? Turn off the TV, PLEASE! Embrace knowledge and wisdom NOT fear and ignorance. And, why all the hostility towards animals everyone? Isn't this their home too? Where is the respect for life and harmony among all creatures?

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!

and not motorcycle those two wheel scooter things that you lean to go forward on

2010 complete

found a pair of gloves in my long neglected garden yesterday and would not dare pick them up. finally did and only found beetles.

captain, don't tempt the snake by leaving your gloves out. you don't like the challenge.

So I'm thinking "Should I comment?" I guess so. Leave the snake alone........
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    So I'm thinking "Should I comment?" I guess so. Leave the snake alone........

i figured tinker would do some tinkering, oh i dont feel good about that way too easy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    there are only two snakes that I don't like; dead ones and live ones.
    Was getting some wood under cover yesterday. Grabbed a stick, and a bat "squeaked" at me. Pink little rabid mouth. Startled the cheese out of me.

But it was cool to watch it crawl down into the pile.

Be nice to snakes. They are your from a distance friends.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Was getting some wood under cover yesterday. Grabbed a stick, and a bat "squeaked" at me. Pink little rabid mouth. Startled the cheese out of me.

But it was cool to watch it crawl down into the pile.

Be nice to snakes. They are your from a distance friends.

from a distance they are fine its when they pop up in places in very close proximity from picking stuff up from the ground or what not

Images

there is nothing friendly about a slimy predator
    Garter snakes are not slimey at all. They are dry and kind of scaley.

There is a picture in a picture album at my parents house from around 1982 of my little sister holding 4 or 5 baby garter snakes with a big smile on her face. I was around 11, my sister 4 or 5. We had a mulch pile in the corner of the property and there were 2 rotting straw bales on it. I knew the snakes were under the bales for a while and handeled them every time I checked on them. One day we showed Mom and she got the camera out and snapped the pic. If I remember, I'll try to find it and scan it in.

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bronconite View Post
    Garter snakes are not slimey at all. They are dry and kind of scaley.

There is a picture in a picture album at my parents house from around 1982 of my little sister holding 4 or 5 baby garter snakes with a big smile on her face. I was around 11, my sister 4 or 5. We had a mulch pile in the corner of the property and there were 2 rotting straw bales on it. I knew the snakes were under the bales for a while and handeled them every time I checked on them. One day we showed Mom and she got the camera out and snapped the pic. If I remember, I'll try to find it and scan it in.
    You know, I used to catch 'em and play with 'em when I was a kid, but I jump and do a funny dance when I find 'em in the yard now.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++