WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Section by Section
    Images

Default Good trail food resource: Big Lots

I don't know how "regional" Big Lots is but I have determined that you could pretty much buy 90% of your food for a thru hike at Big Lots. Being a clearance outlet the offerings are sporadic, but I often peruse the aisles on my lunch break, probably 2 or 3 times a month.

Today's spoils:

2oz mini-bags of Bear Naked Banana Nut Granola: $.80 at Big Lots
    * Betty Crocker Warm Delights Minis (2-Pack): $1.50 at Big Lots
    PowerBar Electrolytes 8 stick multi-pack: $1.50 at Big Lots

There was also foil packs of Valley Fresh White Chicken, and various brands of foil pack tuna. I also saw lots of Knorr Sides style pasta and rice offerings and lots of various cereal bars and energy bars.

* As an aside, the Betty Crocker Warm Delights work really well in Sarbar's Fauxbaker. I made a Fauxbaker this week and the first thing I tried was a Warm Delight. I mixed it exactly as described in the instructions and even "baked" it in the bowl it comes in. The bowl didn't melt and the dessert was perfect!
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

"Adventure is not outside man; it is within." ~ Georg Eliot

Images

just be careful of the expiration dates on food items from there. I have seen some be out of date for 6 months.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

I have found some good buys at Big Lots as well over the years. I do check the dates carefully (as well as at Grocery Outlet) so I don't get any "surprises" at home ;-)
    BL's often has NIDO as well!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Just a tip with things like Nido that are nearing their expiry - tossing the can in the freezer can extend the shelf life a bit.

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    I have found some good buys at Big Lots as well over the years. I do check the dates carefully (as well as at Grocery Outlet) so I don't get any "surprises" at home ;-)
    BL's often has NIDO as well!
    Never seen Nido there but will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the heads up.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

Images

Yep, 90% of what is in my food bag most trips is from Big Lots. The rest from Aldi's or home cooked & dried.
    If resupplying, I look for a "Dollar Store" (Family Dollar, Dollar General, Deals, etc.) Resupplied 100% for 5 days at the one in Damascus last year.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Big lots IS the best place for shopping for trail food. Been there many times for my hikes. You can get big buckets of beef jerky for just a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Midway Sam View Post
    Never seen Nido there but will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the heads up.
    Yep! It is often well hidden....but when I spy it I am happy
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Maybe I am a grocery store snob, but I just cannot bring myself to even go near a Big Lots. I think that the stores are nasty and dirty, as are the products on the shelves.

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Maybe I am a grocery store snob, but I just cannot bring myself to even go near a Big Lots. I think that the stores are nasty and dirty, as are the products on the shelves.
    There is one in my area like that but 3 others that are as clean and modern as the Kroger store next door. They have a REAL problem with corporate consistency.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

They Big Lots by my home is really clean. The store was remodelled pretty recently so that is probably why. I have never had a problem with the food being expired either but my store might get "fresher" stock than some of the others. I would say atleast 90% of my trail food(other than what I dehydrate) comes from either Big Lots or Aldi...

Big Lots are ok, but they do have some old stuff that you have to look out for.... On the AT we mostly were able to resupply at Dollar Generals which were plentiful and cheap. Damascus, Bland, Hot Springs, Front Royal

Images

I love Big Lots.

Wasa crackers for $1.80!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Journal Entries
    Images

Wink

but we're all hikers - and aren't we ALL nasty and dirty and HUNGRY on the trail???

sometimes, i like to play "white trash" just for fun.....I swear - it's only for entertainment. hahaha

But yes, I do like the biglots - although I am careful with trailmix/nuts - rancid nuts = bad day.

I have no idea what this NIDO stuff we're speaking of is...I know nutella and marshmellow fluff and I've seen that PB and grape jelly combo, but I've never heard of NIDO.

Images

Around here there is also the similar Ocean State Job Lots http://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/locate/default.aspx

Of course, the all time favorite is no more, alas -- Spags near Worcester, MA.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Yep, 90% of what is in my food bag most trips is from Big Lots. The rest from Aldi's or home cooked & dried.
    If resupplying, I look for a "Dollar Store" (Family Dollar, Dollar General, Deals, etc.) Resupplied 100% for 5 days at the one in Damascus last year.
    My grandson loves to go into the Dollar Stores (he's not quite 3), and lately I've been noticing LOTS of pack food here. I guess that I should take him for a short hike to say "thanks"!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Journal Entries
    Images

And another recommendation: aldi.

http://www.aldi.us/us/html/service/s...r_ENU_HTML.htm

lots of different trail mixes, nuts, lipton-like pastas, granola, dry milk, and fruit for 1/2 the price at the regular grocery store.

the catch: bring your own bags, a quarter to borrow a shopping cart (get your quarter back when you return), and they only accept cash or debit. but SO worth it in savings.

Section by Section
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smak View Post
    but we're all hikers - and aren't we ALL nasty and dirty and HUNGRY on the trail???

sometimes, i like to play "white trash" just for fun.....I swear - it's only for entertainment. hahaha

But yes, I do like the biglots - although I am careful with trailmix/nuts - rancid nuts = bad day.

I have no idea what this NIDO stuff we're speaking of is...I know nutella and marshmellow fluff and I've seen that PB and grape jelly combo, but I've never heard of NIDO.
    Nido is powdered whole milk sold by Nestle. It is usually found in the hispanic food section of chain grocery stores. Much better than the American non-fat or low fat powdered milk.
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Around here there is also the similar Ocean State Job Lots http://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/locate/default.aspx

Of course, the all time favorite is no more, alas -- Spags near Worcester, MA.

OOOOhhh, Ocean State is my favorite, though I've only been a couple times while visiting the NE. It's way better than biglots.

Section by Section
    Images

We have a new Adli here (well, maybe a year old) that I've never been to. Any "gems" to look for?
    Midway Sam
    AT Section Hiker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++