WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Has anybody ever regretted it???

I am planning a thru-hike in 2010, and the main theme seems to be that EVERYBODY ends up happy that they did the hike. I was just wondering, has anybody ever reached Katahdin, and said to themselves "wow, what a waste of my time", or "wish I hadn't done that"? Just curious.

Images

People who feel that way would never get anywhere near that far. They went home long before finishing.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just don't be in too much of hurry. I've talked to a few people and they rushed a thru. Wished they slowed down for the views.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    People who feel that way would never get anywhere near that far. They went home long before finishing.
    I'd think it would take entirely too much effort to do what one's not enjoying that long.

That said, I do understand the concept of being spent by Pinkham Notch and toughing it out. It does get easier and the rewards were worth it.

Slowing down or taking some time off to regroup can be a good idea.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    I would also say that people who get that far would never admit to feeling that way. The human mind doesn't take kindly to that kind of cognitive dissonance.

If you read all the posts on here from people who've finished, you don't see many (if any) regretting the hike itself, but quite a few admit to end-of-hike letdown. Of course when you spend six months doing something intensively, there's always going to be a period of readjustment when you switch to doing something else. Beyond that, I think if your life outside the hike doesn't already have higher meaning and purpose, the act of hiking won't give it to you. It may give you leisure to contemplate your life, and it may teach you lessons about perseverence and simplicity and all that, but it's not really a permanent purpose unto itself. The people who seek it in that hope are destined for disappointment.

On my part, this is just from observation. I'm nowhere near being a thruhiker myself!!
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Images

The only regrets I have heard are:

• I did not save enough money before my hike
    • I did not have enough time to finish my hike

I have regretted coming home after Katahdin instead of contiueing to hike.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I have regretted coming home after Katahdin instead of contiueing to hike.

geek
    yup, me too

Images

I only regret that it made my shoe size go up two sizes and two widths. Darn hard to find shoes now. I'll do it again even if I knew ahead of time that would happen but it's an unfortunate side effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomaderwhat View Post
    I am planning a thru-hike in 2010, and the main theme seems to be that EVERYBODY ends up happy that they did the hike. I was just wondering, has anybody ever reached Katahdin, and said to themselves "wow, what a waste of my time", or "wish I hadn't done that"? Just curious.
    i know plenty of people that forced themselves to finish not enjoying very much the last 400 miles or so

I have to agree. Most people I have talked to that have thru-hiked said that the only thing they regret was not slowing down and taking it all in. They were to worried about getting to the end as quick as possible and missed tons of beautiful stuff...

++ New Posts ++