WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Compass Declination for GA

This is probably a little much but......
    I am bringing a map and compass with me when my fiance and I do the GA section of the AT in about a week and a half.
    I am definately a beginner with using a compass. I am familiar with the basics for using a compass:
    1. Align the edge of the compass with the starting and finishing point.
    2. Rotate the compass housing until the orienting arrow and lines point N on the map.
    3. Rotate the map and compass together until the red end of the compass needle points north.
    4. Follow the direction of travel arrow on the compass, keeping the needle aligned with the orienting arrow on the housing.
    I have the ATC map. It has an arrow pointing to MN on the map and then one that is angled just a tad to the right with GN, but it does not mention how many degrees, or a declination setting.
    So, what is the declination for GA?
    Im sure that it wont really matter for the AT but Im interested. And from what Ive studied I shouldnt even really need a map and compass, but hey, if I dont have it I would for some reason need it!
    Anyway, thanks in advance!

Images

If you really want to know (actually, I don't think you do, and when you go to this site, you'll see why)......

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/IGRFGrid.jsp

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

So this is the results from Amicalola:

Results for declination on date: 2009.6492919921875-84.10434.394-4.722

Uuuummmmmm..........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    So this is the results from Amicalola:

Results for declination on date: 2009.6492919921875-84.10434.394-4.722

Uuuummmmmm..........
    So is the correction made 4.7 deg CW (right) or CCW (left)?
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 08-26-2009 at 14:08.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Not right or left, east and west.

"East is least, west is best".
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Stick: The correction for GA from mag north to true north is practically negligible. I appreciate you bringing a map & compass but be aware that all you need to know is which way is "north-ish". That way in the morning when you hike back to the trail from a shelter you'll know which way to continue hiking.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Alrighty then.....I think Ill stick with the basics and be happy!!

Thanks Guys!!

Just follow the north star in the big dipper. It's always there, I've never been lost.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 08-26-2009 at 14:09.

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    I have the ATC map. It has an arrow pointing to MN on the map and then one that is angled just a tad to the right with GN, but it does not mention how many degrees, or a declination setting.

So, what is the declination for GA?
    If the map is oriented to magnetic north, declination is automatically accounted for when measuring bearings, etc., with the compass. If declination is not listed, measuring the angle formed by the MN and GN pointers will provide that information. Declination is "West" if MN points to the west of GN. And vice versa with regard to East.

Images

Here in the Atlanta area, we have always taught our Boy Scouts that the angle of declination is about -4.5%. Thanks for the map, Summit - it was good to see validation.....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Most maps have a line pointing to magnetic north.

Orient to that.

Unless you have a really old map, or a crappy map, it should have the declination on it.

aka Kudzu
    Images

My USGS map for Cowrock says 3 degrees I believe.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    My USGS map for Cowrock says 3 degrees I believe.
    Probably a very old map?

This is the magnetic declination for Suches, Ga. in 1999 http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodel...ts/calcIGRFWMM

This is the magnetic declination for Suches, Ga. Today http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodel...ts/calcIGRFWMM

And Suches is further south than Cowrock (declination increases further north you go).

Also declination changes year from year.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Probably a very old map?

This is the magnetic declination for Suches, Ga. in 1999 http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodel...ts/calcIGRFWMM

This is the magnetic declination for Suches, Ga. Today http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodel...ts/calcIGRFWMM

And Suches is further south than Cowrock (declination increases further north you go).

Also declination changes year from year.
    I see the links didn't work, but 1999 had a decl. of - 3 deg 58 min and today it's - 4 deg 49 min

aka Kudzu
    Images

Hmm, both my Neels and Cowrock maps are dated 1988. Neels says 2.5 deg and Cowrock says 3. I just bought the maps for a hike in Feb. Sounds like the USGS needs to update their maps.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I see the links didn't work, but 1999 had a decl. of - 3 deg 58 min and today it's - 4 deg 49 min
    Grid north is a fixed location, magnetic north is a slowly moving target. Grid north coincides with the earth's rotational axis, magnetic north does not.

Arrow Already accounted for...

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Hmm, both my Neels and Cowrock maps are dated 1988. Neels says 2.5 deg and Cowrock says 3. I just bought the maps for a hike in Feb. Sounds like the USGS needs to update their maps.
    The USGS maps usually have a notation that states the expected change in magnetic declination per year. So, by subtracting the issue date year of the map from the current year and multiplying by the correction factor you get a number that is added to the old declination number to get the current declination.

Now does that clear up the question for everybody?

Don't ask me to go over it again...I still get confused about which way to turn the compass base to set the declination!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Try these sites:

Magnetic Declination Calculator
    http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/Declination.jsp

Magnetic Field Calculator
    http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/IGRFWMM.jsp
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

++ New Posts ++