WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default hiking shoe help please?!?

Can anyone give any feedback on the Merrell Moab Ventilator hiking shoe? My brother is new to backpacking and is planning on taking two weeks to hike the stretch of AT in NJ. He is debating between buying a running shoe or this more expensive hiking shoe. Is this shoe worth the extra $?

Images

I currently have about 500 miles on a pair and am happy to say they are still holding up strong. For me, a bigger guy, fabric shoes rarely last longer than 400-500 miles. But my Moab Ventilators continue to work very well.

That said, I have a somewhat wider than average foot. Those with narrower than average feet will probably find too much movement inside the Moab.

As for price, it's $75 for the low cut and $80 for the mid-cut. That's pretty competetive for pricing compared to most decent running shoes out there.

But more than any thing else, get what fits well. Otherwise no "bargain" is much of a bargain.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Thanks Bearpaw. Good to know they are durable. They do fit well, which is why he is considering them.

Fit is personal....He is best to try them on himself. Im miserable in boots that fit my brother well, and vice versa. Go to a good store, try them on, and walk around the store for an hour, with a pack if possible.
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

I backpack in mine and love them. I have bad bunions (born with them) that I'm getting ready to have surgically fixed and they are the only shoe I can stand wearing. ONly issue i've had with them is, I seem to pick up lots of little twigs and rocks. I would suggest a pair of shortie gaiters to keep crud outa your shoes while hiking. That is my only complaint. I've worn them while carrying a 30 pound pack and while it took some getting used to after wearing more supportive hiking boots, I find that it doesn't bother me now and they provide more than enough support for weekend backpacking trips.

Tell your brother to go with whatever is most comfortable to him.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeastu View Post
    ONly issue i've had with them is, I seem to pick up lots of little twigs and rocks. I would suggest a pair of shortie gaiters to keep crud outa your shoes while hiking.
    He is looking at the low cut style, so keeping rocks and twigs out will probably be an issue. I'll also recommend gaiters.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    He is looking at the low cut style, so keeping rocks and twigs out will probably be an issue. I'll also recommend gaiters.
    Check out the Dirty Girl gaiters. Inexpensive and simple, might be the right solution.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Check out the Dirty Girl gaiters. Inexpensive and simple, might be the right solution.
    Will do Rocket! Hopefully they sell them at Campmor, i'm planning on making a trip there this wknd.

JJ, just trashed mine after 900+ trail miles out west. Have had similar experiences as Bearpaw and agree with his assessment that these shoes would probably be better for wider to avg. width feet. Merrel's tend to be a bit wider. I've had two pairs recently. In both the toe bumber eventually peeled off. I do not drag my toes or feet. The leather uppers and tread held up very well though. I also agree with Bearpaw's assessment that the pricepoint for Merrel Moab Ventilaters are comprable, and maybe even less costly, than trail running shoes. Despite having been labeled Ventilators I found them to be only avg. in breathabilty on hot backpacking journeys.

Fit and comfort are NOT THE SAME with everyone's feet as we all have slightly different feet and hiking styles.

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

If he's looking at trail runners, I gotta give a shout out to Brooks Cascadias. They are very durable, breath well, and extremely comfortable. They can run ya $99-$109, but if you can find last year's model at a discount, check em out!
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I also agree with Bearpaw's assessment that the pricepoint for Merrel Moab Ventilaters are comprable, and maybe even less costly, than trail running shoes.
    Thanks dogwood! The more I research trail shoes the more I realize the Merrel Moabs are reasonably priced.

I used Merrels on 1/2 of my AT thru. They worked well (can't recall the specific kind). But if I hadn't switched to Inov8 Flyrocs for my hiking shoes, I would wear Merrels.

Btw JerseyJoe, I read your 2002 AT thru hike journal many times as I prepared for my own AT hike in 2005. Good read.

And, well, I do advise looking into Inov8 styles. I've only had luck with the Flyroc models though--I used a RocLite model without reading that it had a tight toe-box--and that tighness resulted in blisters where the Flyrocs I had worn for 400 miles prior gave me more.

Inov8 has a whole different philosophy of shoes and feet.

Bah meant to say the Flyrocs gave me NO blisters...

Images

I've had several pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators . . . current pair also has 4-5 hundred miles on them. The last couple of years I've been trying out some of the other brands folks here have said they like, but this fall's hike I'm going back to my Moabs. Does that tell you anything? Haven't tried every brand/shoe out there, but I haven't found anything better for my feet than the Moabs.

Images

Summit,
    Yes, the fact that you are going back to the moab ventilators does tell me something. Thanks for the info!

++ New Posts ++